Open Water Courses and the Swim Test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFishee once bubbled...

I simply called it the same thing you did.

Thank you, not that I was waiting for your permission.

I see... and why are my comments attacks while yours are statements?

Scubafishee,

"I simply called it the same thing you did."

The term started with whoever started the thread, I didn't come up with it. You challenged my term by saying
"swim test... swim requirements... the two really do go together.",
and further asked for clarification.

"Thank you, not that I was waiting for your permission"

you are welcome. So what are you waiting for?

"I see... and why are my comments attacks while yours are statements?"

The answer to that question is simple. You are picking apart my words, challenging them, instead of coming up with your own opinion.

example:
"Yep. It is... partly because statements are "on topic" when you say them and "off topic" when someone responds. "

You make a general "attack" as this, yet don't back it up with any elaboration, examples or reasoning.

In any case, there is no reason for debate, or argument. Simply state your opinion and move on.

I am really blown away by the amount of contraversy I have raised by simply voicing my beliefs.

STOP THE HATE..........................:)

Life's too short:)

o2scuba,

Do you have any idea what you've said?

"I don't take it personally, quite the opposite..."

"I've never seen you in my classroom, in the pool or at open water training sites. Did you hack into my computer too?"

Isn't this an example of you taking what I've said personally?

"Which of my students are you referring to?"

Another example.

"For you to state that MY training techniques are responsible for YOUR rescues is presumptuous, and absurd. One could be held liable for such behavior."

Yet another example.

"PADI will not allow an instructor to "fail" a student because they could not complete the swim requirements beyond the PADI requirements."

"Swim test Walter, swim tests....try to stay focused"

Read your standards again. This applies to all PADI requirements. You can not add any requirements to a PADI course.

"While we are not allowed to REQUIRE additional standards, we ARE allowed to provide additional training and elaboration on many parts of the program."

Doesn't look as if you stay focused.

"Does having an open mind mean I have to change my opinion to yours?"

Absolutely not.

"50yards underwater swim is overkill (IMO). I'm not condemning the teaching of it, just voicing my opinion."

When you say, "Are you training to be a recreational diver, or a Navy Seal?" you are condemning it. Be honest, you do comdemn the practice, don't back pedal after the fact. We won't agree on the topic, but that's not exactly you goal nor mine. We should be presenting different points of view so others can make informed choices.

"you are welcome. So what are you waiting for?"

"they say sarcasm is a tool for the weak minded."

Sarcasm after condemning it as a tool for the weak minded. A better memory (or a review of your posts) would have prevented you from shooting yourself in the foot.

"I prefer to get them comfortable with SCUBA before going on to skin diving (which comes later in the program anyway)."

It actually works better if they have skin diving as a foundation before teaching SCUBA. If you start teaching SCUBA, then teach skin diving you have taught them not to hold their breath, then you teach them to hold their breath. If you teach skin diving first, you don't have to undo your earlier lessons. The idea of putting students on SCUBA before they've learned to skin dive is one that came from marketing, not from people who really want to teach.

"Is it just me, or is this conversation going in circles?"

It's ok, the concepts are new, you'll get there if you keep trying.

"I would hardly call someone who can swim 200 yards and tread water for 10 min a "non-swimmer", you?"

No one has. Focus.

"But attacking my statements is kinda useless."

No one has attacked anything.

"You make a general "attack" as this, yet don't back it up with any elaboration, examples or reasoning."

Actually, there was no attack, but ScubaFishee did call it correctly. You feel you can discuss anything, but reponses to you can only discuss the swim test. Things don't work that way. When someone calls you on it, you feel attacked. Grow a thicker skin or stop trying to dismiss valid points as being off topic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom