Opening a dive center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noblesix

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys. If you were about to open your dive center, doesn't matter where because we want to keep it simple first, how many sets of equipment would you purchase? I was thinking around 8 to 10 sets of everything, enough for an instructor/guide (if they need to borrow), 5-6 guests, and save-a-dive bag.

Thanks.

10 seems a little low for 5-6 guests, particularly BCDs (unless you plan to fit BP/W to everyone), since sizing can be variable. I would think you'd need more than 3 or 4 spare regs as well.

noblesix- For a starter theres tanks to concider. as a MINIMUM you need 2 tanks for every diver and spare tanks for emergencies/drop tanks etc.-and that's on the basis you are going to go flat out filling tanks for afternoon dives.-realistically you need 4 tanks per diver
Regulators you need enough for your maximum number of divers and a spare two.
You need sufficient BC's of every size for your dive numbers.
same with fins and thermal protection.
masks you can "get away" with a couple more than required but you do need the odd couple of the unusual size
Weight belts you need again a couple more than max numbers along with sufficient lead for each diver being of the more "rotund" type
And that's not allowing for torches,compressor etc.
Then theres all the paperwork needed for whatever agency you use.
THIS list is just scraping the surface.

10 seems a little low for 5-6 guests, particularly BCDs (unless you plan to fit BP/W to everyone), since sizing can be variable. I would think you'd need more than 3 or 4 spare regs as well.
Ok. I was thinking about 2xS, 2xM, 2xML, 2xL, 2xXL. Or you mean maybe 4 sets of each size?

noblesix- For a starter theres tanks to concider. as a MINIMUM you need 2 tanks for every diver and spare tanks for emergencies/drop tanks etc.
Regulators you need enough for your maximum number of divers and a spare two.
You need sufficient BC's of every size for your dive numbers.
same with fins and thermal protection.
masks you can "get away" with a couple more than required but you do need the odd couple of the unusual size
Weight belts you need again a couple more than max numbers along with sufficient lead for each diver being of the more "rotund" type
And that's not allowing for torches,compressor etc.

I was thinking because it's a new, small, and quite remote dive center, there might not be too many guests going. So I was thinking maybe couples, or maximum group of 5. If we do 2 dives per day, then we need at least 14 tanks. I guess 20 tanks is enough for the beginning.

Masks are considered cheaper than regs or tanks and some guests might have their own. So it should be no problem.

there are several BCDs on the market that are one size fits (almost) all. Zeagle makes one and it works very well for us

there are several BCDs on the market that are one size fits (almost) all. Zeagle makes one and it works very well for us

Sorry. I'm not familiar with Zeagle. Aren't they more like back inflated BCs and generally more expensive? How comfortable are they? How do we adjust the BCs to fit almost all sizes? Can you give me the name of the BCs so I could look it up? Thank you, Sheeper.

I would use either the Zeagle or better yet BPW's with al plates and 30-32 lb wings.

Go with a basic one piece harness, don't trim it just use inner tube to control the excess on the buckle side, and you have a BC that will fit anyone from oh 5 ft nothing and 90lbs to someone 6'5" 290 lbs.

Takes 5 minutes to adjust it, if that once you have done it a few times. Expect to have max 6 guests? You'll need 6 BPW's for adjustment. DM's and Instructors should have their own gear anyway. Doesn't matter what they use as long as they understand the BPW system.

Totally modular set up, something wears out you replace a component rather than the whole rig. A center setting this up at dealer cost on the units? Super cheap and a better rig than any lower end rental type BC and most higher end ones that are packed with useless or sub-optimal features.

Regs? Yeah 6 plus two spares. Weight belts with pockets. Lead depends on where you are located. Warm water with light wetsuits? 20lbs per diver should do it. That'd give you some extra unless you get a big group of really buoyant people. Cold water 30 + per diver.

If you are going to do wetsuits as well you almost have to plan for every size for 6 people. Get a group of football players and you may need 6 XXXL's! Get a group of kids or small adults? Yep, 6 smalls.

I would use either the Zeagle or better yet BPW's with al plates and 30-32 lb wings.

Go with a basic one piece harness, don't trim it just use inner tube to control the excess on the buckle side, and you have a BC that will fit anyone from oh 5 ft nothing and 90lbs to someone 6'5" 290 lbs.

Takes 5 minutes to adjust it, if that once you have done it a few times. Expect to have max 6 guests? You'll need 6 BPW's for adjustment. DM's and Instructors should have their own gear anyway. Doesn't matter what they use as long as they understand the BPW system.

Totally modular set up, something wears out you replace a component rather than the whole rig. A center setting this up at dealer cost on the units? Super cheap and a better rig than any lower end rental type BC and most higher end ones that are packed with useless or sub-optimal features.

Regs? Yeah 6 plus two spares. Weight belts with pockets. Lead depends on where you are located. Warm water with light wetsuits? 20lbs per diver should do it. That'd give you some extra unless you get a big group of really buoyant people. Cold water 30 + per diver.

If you are going to do wetsuits as well you almost have to plan for every size for 6 people. Get a group of football players and you may need 6 XXXL's! Get a group of kids or small adults? Yep, 6 smalls.

Hi Jim, it's nice to hear from you again. If I'm not mistaken, you wrote an article about backplates and wings, yes? Are they economically efficient for a dive center? In terms of maintenance and spare part cost? The dive center is somewhere in south east asia so I wonder if it's easy to obtain spare parts or access to service center.

Are backplate wings comfortable enough for DSD, I mean for people who never actually dove before? Thank you.

I was thinking because it's a new, small, and quite remote dive center, there might not be too many guests going. So I was thinking maybe couples, or maximum group of 5. If we do 2 dives per day, then we need at least 14 tanks. I guess 20 tanks is enough for the beginning.

Masks are considered cheaper than regs or tanks and some guests might have their own. So it should be no problem.

Something seems very wrong with the idea of a small remote dive center that caters to new divers.

Back
Top Bottom