Opening a dive center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing about the Pro valves on tanks is it is nice to be able to make the customer happy to provide a din tank if it is desired however if the din insert isnt removed and rinsed etc then they can become sticky and hard/impossible to remove. I found a few that were stuck in the valves while I was in Curacao.
Thank you. I'll keep that in mind.

nobklesix-re tanks If just starting out I'd stick with 11.5l ally tanks. Smaller tanks are convenient but not "needed" It just means low consumption divers get longer dives or come up with less air used.-hardly a dealbreaker.
IMO in rental gear you want/need the holey grail. Robust,easilly serviced,parts readily available. as universal fit as possible and dare I say it after all that reasonably priced.
Because it is rental gear I wouldn't want initially to introduce variation so either weight pockets or belts Personally belts make more sense starting out And it make diver training easier by being universal.
keep in mind "serious" divers will have their own gear.

nobklesix-re tanks If just starting out I'd stick with 11.5l ally tanks. Smaller tanks are convenient but not "needed" It just means low consumption divers get longer dives or come up with less air used.-hardly a dealbreaker.
IMO in rental gear you want/need the holey grail. Robust,easilly serviced,parts readily available. as universal fit as possible and dare I say it after all that reasonably priced.
Because it is rental gear I wouldn't want initially to introduce variation so either weight pockets or belts Personally belts make more sense starting out And it make diver training easier by being universal.
keep in mind "serious" divers will have their own gear.
I agree. I still prefer weight belts in general. Losing a weight pocket in a remote area is not really a good situation. Would you share your personal/favorite "holy grail" setup as rental gear? Thank you.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you. Besides, yo u didn't even give any useful feedback to my question. Please move on.

Wow with an attitude like that right off the bat, the mentality of just scraping by on equipment, back plates and wings? Three strikes, post the name of your new dive shop so we can avoid it. What a way to get started in a service business.

Wow with an attitude like that right off the bat, the mentality of just scraping by on equipment, back plates and wings? Three strikes, post the name of your new dive shop so we can avoid it. What a way to get started in a service business.
I just disagreed with the opinion. I can't disagree with other people's opinion? Have a look at that post again, he didn't give any useful feedback other than "something very wrong..." and "new divers do not seek their first scuba experience in a remote area." Do you have a fact or stats that back this opinion?

About the backplate and wings, when did I scrape the idea of it? We can't afford to have them. Is it wrong not to be able to afford them? Our staff are not experienced in bp wings setup, is that also wrong?

Sorry lady, but you don't tell me what to do, ok? You haven't shown a better attitude as well. Can we please move on, lady?

Wow. Just... wow.

I agree. I still prefer weight belts in general. Losing a weight pocket in a remote area is not really a good situation. Would you share your personal/favorite "holy grail" setup as rental gear? Thank you.
Im sorry I can't do that.
Why?
Because a HUGE part of the "holey grail " IMO is a really good, solid, reliable, HONEST supply chain.
Even though we live in a global economy you will find that to be very much a regional thing.
So what you need is a supplier/suppliers that carry decent long lasting product that will be around for a few years.
That gives you spares backup as well as surety of supply/warranty.
You then work with them to have ROBUST gear supplied.
Here in the pacific "stuff" comes from Australia or NZ.

So--PURELY my personal opinion here based here in NZ
Id run Atlantis Icon BC's
Masks I'd have a range for sale but student masks again atlantis Icon M3 Black skirt as the main mask with some bigger framed masks for the rare person the icon doesn't fit "ok" with.
Wetsuits even if you are tropical diving I would NEVER have 3.0mm suits in my rental/student gear. 3mm is too fragile.
Id run again atlantis 5mm shorties if tropical or 7mm full suits if temperate. I'd likely have for sale the odd sharkskin top.
Regs and Valves I'd run Sherwood.
Fins for the customers atlantis spree or similar rubber FULL foot fins -Not plastic fins-for longevity.
But again I'd have a bit of a range of open foot fins in stock for sale.
I think for tropical diving I'd rather use ally tanks rather than steels.
I must add - I DON'T own a dive shop so my opinion is based on what I have observed having seen the good/bad /ugly of dive operations.

Last edited:
AWAP-Im sorry dude I don't agree with you.Reading between the lines this is an idea for an addition to some sort of tropical resort that's already in operation.
A dive centre as a part of the resort can work well.
Imagine you are on a tropical island and discover scuba is offered as an option-with of course full scuba courses if you like it.

Im sorry I can't do that.
Why?
Because a HUGE part of the "holey grail " IMO is a really good, solid, reliable, HONEST supply chain.
Even though we live in a global economy you will find that to be very much a regional thing.
So what you need is a supplier/suppliers that carry decent long lasting product that will be around for a few years.
That gives you spares backup as well as surety of supply/warranty.
You then work with them to have ROBUST gear supplied.
Here in the pacific "stuff" comes from Australia or NZ.

So--PURELY my personal opinion here based here in NZ
Id run Atlantis Icon BC's
Masks I'd have a range for sale but student masks again atlantis Icon M3 Black skirt as the main mask with some bigger framed masks for the rare person the icon doesn't fit "ok" with.
Wetsuits even if you are tropical diving I would NEVER have 3.0mm suits in my rental/student gear. 3mm is too fragile.
Id run again atlantis 5mm shorties if tropical or 7mm full suits if temperate. I'd likely have for sale the odd sharkskin top.
Regs and Valves I'd run Sherwood.
Fins for the customers atlantis spree or similar rubber FULL foot fins -Not plastic fins-for longevity.
But again I'd have a bit of a range of open foot fins in stock for sale.
I think for tropical diving I'd rather use ally tanks rather than steels.
I must add - I DON'T own a dive shop so my opinion is based on what I have observed having seen the good/bad /ugly of dive operations.
Thank you, Frosty. This is my first time hearing about Atlantis BCs. I googled it and it looked really good and rugged. I also agree with you regarding supply line. This is also another reason I can't go with BP and wings because we will have difficulties ordering, shipping, setting up, maintenance, fixing, etc because we don't have easy access to those.

AWAP-Im sorry dude I don't agree with you.Reading between the lines this is an idea for an addition to some sort of tropical resort that's already in operation.
A dive centre as a part of the resort can work well.
Imagine you are on a tropical island and discover scuba is offered as an option-with of course full scuba courses if you like it.
Thank you! That's what I thought. I don't understand why he said people won't try scuba diving in a remote area if it's beautiful and filled with tons of healthy corals and marine life right in front of the resort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom