Opening a dive center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recommended use of Sherwood valves due to availability and the fact that they are DIN/Yoke compatible. To be honest though the sort of divers that are predominantly DIN valve (outside of Europe) know full well what questions to ask and for that matter what to bring with them to a dive resort.
My concern with a remote resort location is the onsite available emergency equipment.--IE emergency oxygen etc. The vicinity of the nearest chamber and the emergency evac plan.

Last edited:
Im at the serious investigation stage of purchasing a dive centre so Im working up costs etc.
I can tell you that beyond initial set up costs the two major ongoing costs usually are Fuel and wages.
allowing the diving is boat based.
I feel a NEW dive centre with new equipment has real advantages over an existing centre. The main one being you have a window where you wont need to buy replacement equipment. That window is useful whilst the centre has wage costs going out but being new little in the way of income. It also means you will be able to clearly document the age of equipment.
There is also the little matter of establishing the location of suitable dive sites for training.tourist divers etc.
I "might" know a website with members happy to offer to explore this new resort.

I have successfully opened and run a dive shop in a remote location, new to diving far off the beaten track, I have never had a sidemount diver come into our place and in 5 years in business had 9 requests for nitrox. Blah, blah, blah...If somebody wants real advice from some one who has done it, going so far as to get qualified in in water oxygen recompression. (We are 18 hours to 3 days to a chamber along with a $40,000 flight) The original stock down to the number of weights and bcds and wet suits of various sizes, tanks, valves (Yes they are DIN insert valves) fin sizes...and I have never once in five years come up short for rentals, ala done on less then $100,000 including 2 compressors AND a 15 meter custom built dive boat, your questions are welcome, no conjecture, facts. I am in my shop right now, compressors running, and booking customers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom