Opening another guest house/hostel in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a guy we met PDC who used to work for a dive shop till he found he could make more money and have better hours running tours. The same may be true of the hotel business.

Even though you are pretty local, it is worth the $10 to get the Coz map. Also, I would definitely try to buy Christi a very nice dinner and pick her brain for ideas.

One last thing, mount a strong rod high in the shower so that you can hang your gear to dry overnight. Solves a couple of problems. First, the gear is more secure than a communal locker. Second, you will not have as much gear hanging off balconies and the property will look neater.

My buddies and I are broke college students (probably blame the diving for that :wink:). As such, hostels are really one of the only reasonable options for us. If we decide to go on a dive trip to Coz this summer, we'd definitely be staying in a hostel. However, we would be more inclined to stay at a place that had aspects designed with divers in mind even if it was slightly more expensive.

Thanks all!

Christi, we may come and do some diving with you and pick you brians if that's ok :O)

Driftwood... good idea about the shower rod!

USScubaboy.... we face exactly the same issues whenever we go away diving... diving accomodation shouldn't cost the earth, esp when you add in the cost of the diving! There's a decent hostel in the town centre that my friend stayed in. Alternatively keep an eye out on Expedia, there's cheap'ish deals on offer from time to time < $50 per room.

I think at the moment, outside of Semana Santa you should be pushing for discounts on accomodation, esp if there's a group of you.

I know over here occupancy is pretty low at the moment.... I can only assume it's the same for Cozumel.

Occupancy rates are down all over due to the poor state of the economy and are likely to remain somewhat low for quite awhile yet. On top of that, people are being pushed down market where accommodations are concerned due to budget constraints.

Hello!

We're looking at the options of opening another Guest House/B&B/Hostel in Cozumel.

And are looking for some local advice/knowledge.

Do most people who stay on Cozumel stay in the large resorts, or are visitors quite happy to search around on the net and get the best/cheapest deals in smaller places?

To you knowledge, are there enough options for low cost, diver-friendly accomodation on the island?

We've only been across once and plan on spending a lot more time over there, but any help/info/advice would be brilliant, even if it's "Are you mad!"

Thanks a lot for any help, it would help us out a lot to hear from people living on the island or visit regularly!

Orm

Orm, Just some input from a Cozumel diver. (2-3 times per year) My DH and I are divers who like small B & B's over other types of accomodations. We have stayed at a few larger hotels and condo in the past, put do prefer something smaller.
For us, we look for:
1-Convenience - walk to pier/restaurants/town/grocery stores
2-Clean . Non Smoking is a requirement for the room and common areas. 100 % smoke free is Fanstastic. However, a strict enforcement of smoking in an out of the way area would be fine.
3-Dive gear rinsing and secure area to hang out stuff
4-Meals/no meals - Not that important as we do not like full breakfast when diving and prefer a very light start to the day. However, since dives usually begin @ 8 AM. Breakfast if included is best around 7 AM. A common cooking area is great too, at least a microwave, common fridge, plates/utensils/cups/glasses. Make available dish detergent in order for guests to clean up their own mess.
5-Pool - Even though we are in the water most days, we do enjoy pool time to refresh on those hot afternoons and evenings.
6-Bicycles It is nice to be able to toodle around a bit on a bike. Not having to rent a bicycle is great.
Not a scooter BTW-too dangerous..

Now these amenities are just what my husband and I look for. Of course to each is all their own and not everyone agrees with us. Just thought I would give you an profile of a Cozumel visitor. Best of luck to you and do keep us posted. Welcome !!!

Sue and Mike

Thanks Sue, we're on the same page... we have all of those in mind... except the bikes.

The smoking thing is a pain.. as non-smokers ourselves, we have a preference, but it's a difficult ask to go 100% smoke free.

Divers are terrible smokers! We used to spark up straight after a dive... must be all the compressed air!

Thanks for your input.

Orm, wouldn't get in a hurry if I were you, according to my financial newsletter this thing is far from over. In spite of what the news media is putting out. It was pointed out that when a financial meltdown like we have witnessed happens, it takes typically 6 to 7 years for it to get worked out. So, looks like it could be slow for quite a while. Here in the US, real estate prices have fallen, but could go down for quite some time. The writer said the best opportunities for gain will come locally. Jim

Hey Orm,

I think there are quite a few people like me out there that prefer to stay in the smaller B and B's and hotels in and around the square rather than the all inclusives. Ill be going back this summer and stay again at the Tamarindo or something like it. When we were at the Tamarindo in Dec. it was full up with like minded people and divers.

PD

Handy Andy

6 - 7 years is a toughie. Without going massively off track, a lot of what the mess we're seeing now is consumer trepidation off the back of a perceived threat of financial insecurity.

Jobless figures haven't risen that much, but people's perceived threat from being made redundant has increased ten fold. This is self-perpetuating to some degree by the press and the slew of bad numbers we're getting out from company reports on a quarterly basis.

I'm not saying we're not in the sh$£, availability of capital to small businesses is scarce, a lot of financially viable companies are closing because they can't sustain their normal credit lines to operate, then our government in the UK and I think the US is in the same position, has had to borrow such an incredible amount of money to prop the financial sector up, lord only knows the amount of tax the UK citizens will have to pay out.

But there's other ways and means for them to claw the money back and it shouldn't effect someone like my mate who's been in a decent job all his life and would like to go diving somewhere quite nice this summer.

It may have an influence in the standard of accommodation he chooses though.

The green shoots of recovery are there, we're just not gonna quite get up to the booming days of the beginning of the century for a while, if ever. But this may not be such a bad thing.

pdelannoy: I'm with you on that one. How many blocks away from the square would you reasonably stay before it's too far to be considered. (I know it depends on cost and amenities).

Thanks again....!

first let me wish you best of luck with your plans. secondly let us all assure that there is a reason why we all like coz. third, i think chrisite's advice is good, especially the part about identifying a niche.
who are your customers? it does not matter what most vacationers do on coz. what matters is whether you can indentify a niche you would enjoy working with. the next step then imo would be to find out who caters to that niche now -the competitors. next would be to come up with your own particular difference from those competitors. might be interesting to ask christie if she went through an exercise like that and how it changed as the dream became reality. from the faithful following she has on this board i could guess, but she would be the person to ask.
i like to stop off in playa for a few days on my way home. the place i stay at is luna blue. you may know the couple who own and manage it. from what i gather, they had a similar dream. some of the things they expected were accurate. some were not. in the end though they now have a niche and a faithful following. last year when mexico got hit with a perfect storm of h1n1, drug gang wars in the news, and a major recession more serious than anything since the great depression, luna blue seemed to be booked. that is probably because their particular niche was not as affected by those events.
have fun.

Back
Top Bottom