Opinion on potential gear needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WannaLaguna

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey Gang,

As some of you may remember I am relocating from Toronto Canada to Newport Beach this coming summer.

I want to buy my first full rig and wanted your opinions/comments of a few pieces:

Regs: Apeks ATX50 w/ ATX20 Octo
BC: Seaquest Pro QD+
Gauge: Suunto Gekko

Also, what kind of exposure protection will I need out there? (Currently,I dive with a 7mm farmer John and Jacket up here in water around the low to mid 60's and am more than comfy.)

Oh yeah! one more thing. Availability of service for the above mentioned gear is a necessity! Does Liburdi's and LSS service those lines? Both websites seem to be down (at least the product sections) at this time...

As always your help is appreciated! :eyebrow:

WannaLaguna:
Hey Gang,

As some of you may remember I am relocating from Toronto Canada to Newport Beach this coming summer.

I want to buy my first full rig and wanted your opinions/comments of a few pieces:

Also, what kind of exposure protection will I need out there? (Currently,I dive with a 7mm farmer John and Jacket up here in water around the low to mid 60's and am more than comfy.)

Oh yeah! one more thing. Availability of service for the above mentioned gear is a necessity! Does Liburdi's and LSS service those lines? Both websites seem to be down (at least the product sections) at this time...

Congrats on the move, you'll love it down here, eh!

AS far as exposure protection, the 7mm wil be perfect for year-round diving. Apeks are gret regs, can't go wrong with them. As far as the BC is concerned, I'll let some one else vouch for them. I dive a BP/W.
And a preemptory welcome to California!
Robert

I love my ATX50. I dive the Suunto Mosquito, and I have had no gripes with the Suunto line so far. I'm thinking about getting the Cobra (or the D9 - that's a nice looking piece of gear!)

I think you will be more than comfy in your current wetsuit. If you don't have a hood, I would recommend it. You may even think about going to a one-piece in the summer so you can drop some weight, but that's more personal preference.

I don't know about Liburdi's or LSS, but I can tell you that Pacific Wilderness can service all of that gear for you. That's the shop I do all my business with, and I can recommend them fully.

- David

WannaLaguna:
Hey Gang,

Hi Robert!

Robert Phillips:
Congrats on the move, you'll love it down here, eh!

Thanks eh! :eyebrow: Yeah, we can't wait! My wife and I lived down there for a year while I was on contract. I have been down there many times through out the years....always felt like "home" a real nice fit for our personalities!

Robert Phillips:
I dive a BP/W.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is a BP/W setup?

I have to get this gear soon! I haven't had a full nights sleep since I decided to buy this stuff!!! w-a-a-a-a-a-y too excited :jump3:

dgallo:
I love my ATX50. I dive the Suunto Mosquito, and I have had no gripes with the Suunto line so far. I'm thinking about getting the Cobra (or the D9 - that's a nice looking piece of gear!)

I think you will be more than comfy in your current wetsuit. If you don't have a hood, I would recommend it. You may even think about going to a one-piece in the summer so you can drop some weight, but that's more personal preference.

I don't know about Liburdi's or LSS, but I can tell you that Pacific Wilderness can service all of that gear for you. That's the shop I do all my business with, and I can recommend them fully.

- David

Hey David,

Thanks for your comments! I have had my eye on the Suunto Stinger for the l-o-o-o-n-g-e-s-t time. Now that is a sweet comp! The D9 looks really nice too. I love the compass intergration. Thanks for the link and referal to Pacific Adventures. What's their turn-around time for gear servicing and repairs?

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to Sunny So Cal! I agree with David re Pacific Wilderness. They are a great shop with good, quality customer service. Laguna Sea Sports is good as well, but I am unsure what equipment they actually service. Both of these shops treat woman with respect, unlike 'other' dive shops I have been in. Since you are male, then you shouldn't have a problem. BUT...if your wife dives, or is thinking about getting certified, then go with Pacific Wilderness or Laguna Sea Sports. There is also a mom and pop shop down on PCH in Newport as well, but can't recall the name (NOT Liburdis!). I hear they are good as well.

Once you get moved here, you might want to join a very active dive club. Here is the URL so that you can check us out. http://www.southcoastdivers.com/SOCDC

Hopefully we will meet this summer. What month are you moving to California?

Not that I've met him but isn't there a diver named Jeff Shaw in LA county? Are we going to have another one in OC?

Just a random thought...maybe you wait to buy your gear here? Great way to start a new friendship with your new LDS, whoever you pick. Then you shouldn't have to worry about getting equipment serviced. AND, you don't have to pack it all the way down for Canada. Why risk the move? Anyway, there are more LDS's down here than you can shake a stick at. Either way, good luck, and see you in the water this summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom