Opinion on potential gear needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver_Jan:
Once you get moved here, you might want to join a very active dive club. Here is the URL so that you can check us out. http://www.southcoastdivers.com/SOCDC

Hopefully we will meet this summer. What month are you moving to California?

Hi Jan, Thanks so much for the info. My wife doesn't dive (yet!)

That link looks great! I can't wait to become part of the group!

We are hoping to be down there around August but it really depends on the Department of Labor now. We are just twiddling our thumbs waiting for our papers to be accepted. If we can be down earlier we will! We are d-y-i-i-i-i-n-g to get back "home" :wink:

I will definitely look you up with I unpack my gear!

widebody50:
Just a random thought...maybe you wait to buy your gear here? Great way to start a new friendship with your new LDS, whoever you pick. Then you shouldn't have to worry about getting equipment serviced. AND, you don't have to pack it all the way down for Canada. Why risk the move? Anyway, there are more LDS's down here than you can shake a stick at. Either way, good luck, and see you in the water this summer.

Hey 50!

In theory, that sounds like a fair plan and something I should do....the only problem is.... I'M TOO EXCITED!!! I've been dying for my gear for over a year.. If I buy it up here, all my gear will be in the car directly behind me...I don't want the movers touch my babies. I'm not over-protective....Nooooooooo!

I was actually thinking about buying from Leisurepro.com. Does anyone have any experience dealing with them? The deals are crazy! Up here my rig would cost around $2200 CND. Through Leisure, with the exchange $1450!! Do you think I could do better locally?

Thanks! cya soon!

IceDiverInCA:
Not that I've met him but isn't there a diver named Jeff Shaw in LA county? Are we going to have another one in OC?

Looks that way!! Be carefull.....we're e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e !! :eyebrow:

They can usually get stuff back to you within a day or two. They can do tank visuals while you wait.

A friend of mine has the Stinger as a backup in addition to the Cobra - it's a real nice piece of gear!

- David

WannaLaguna:
Hey David,

Thanks for your comments! I have had my eye on the Suunto Stinger for the l-o-o-o-n-g-e-s-t time. Now that is a sweet comp! The D9 looks really nice too. I love the compass intergration. Thanks for the link and referal to Pacific Adventures. What's their turn-around time for gear servicing and repairs?

If I can point you in the direction of the search feature for the forums, you can do a search for LeisurePro and see exactly what people think of LeisurePro. Personally, I avoid them like the plague. Scuba.com (which is located here in OC) will match their prices if you go in if price is the prime deciding factor.

I can tell you that I buy 95% of all my gear from my shop - I always get a good deal and paying a little extra ensures that I get good service as well.

I would wait until you get down here to buy - that way you have that much less to move! :)

- David

WannaLaguna:
Hey 50!

In theory, that sounds like a fair plan and something I should do....the only problem is.... I'M TOO EXCITED!!! I've been dying for my gear for over a year.. If I buy it up here, all my gear will be in the car directly behind me...I don't want the movers touch my babies. I'm not over-protective....Nooooooooo!

I was actually thinking about buying from Leisurepro.com. Does anyone have any experience dealing with them? The deals are crazy! Up here my rig would cost around $2200 CND. Through Leisure, with the exchange $1450!! Do you think I could do better locally?

Thanks! cya soon!

dgallo:
If I can point you in the direction of the search feature for the forums, you can do a search for LeisurePro and see exactly what people think of LeisurePro. Personally, I avoid them like the plague. Scuba.com (which is located here in OC) will match their prices if you go in if price is the prime deciding factor.

I can tell you that I buy 95% of all my gear from my shop - I always get a good deal and paying a little extra ensures that I get good service as well.

I would wait until you get down here to buy - that way you have that much less to move! :)

- David

Hi,

It's looking like I might be going with Jeff and the guys at Pacific Wilderness. (thanks Jan - better ask Jeff for your cut :eyebrow: ) Leisurepro is out now that I know my gear would not be warranted.

I want to support the LDS and service is a BIG consideration. I want to go Apeks and I didn't notice that line on scuba.com

thanks for all your help guys! I really appreciate it!

Jeff,

I remember you saying that you are planning on going for your DM this fall. Many Pros I know tell me that the dive shops require them to use the same equipment that is sold in their store. I also imagine that Instructors and DMs need to have an octo for student training purposes instead of just a combo inflator/octo like a Tusa Duo-Air.

Maybe Jan and the other Pros can shed some light on this?

Here is my 2 cts. worth on gear:
BC: Fit is everything. I personally like back inflation. I recommend one that has (or supports) 2 tank straps for those rougher surf entries. If you plan on doing deep/night/lobster diving, I recommend a BC with side pockets big enough to hold a medium (C8) flash light and have plenty of D-rings. Rear trim weight pouches are nice if you plan on diving an AL tank. I dive a Zeagle Ranger. I would recommend it (though it has it's disadvantages).

Reg: Apeks is excellent. The ATX-50 primary (or 100 or 200 if you have the $$) with an ATX-40 octo would be my Apex recommendation. I dive an Atomic Z1 and love it.

My ST-80 tank was one of my best investments. I hate having to add 6# to my weight belt when using my AL-80 for the second dive. I have a HP steel tank and never seem to get a good fill (<=3200 PSI). A guy I know dives a LP ST-100 (2400 PSI) and loves it.

My Canadian dive buddy and I got certified at the same time. I got all my gear through a LDS while he went through LeisurePro and EBay. We got nearly the exact same setup but I paid $1200 more than him. That still burns me to this day. If I had to do it over again I am not sure what I would do.

Anyway... cheers,

-Aaron

abrown203:
My ST-80 tank was one of my best investments. I hate having to add 6# to my weight belt when using my AL-80 for the second dive. I have a HP steel tank and never seem to get a good fill (<=3200 PSI). A guy I know dives a LP ST-100 (2400 PSI) and loves it.

-Aaron

Where do you get your tank filled?

The big thing about LP is the lack of warenty. THey are not authorized resellers
of all brands so you loose the lifetime warenty.

I've bought stuff through LP. But not a reg or BC. Many times the local shops can beat LP. For example right now a couple shops are having some sales. I bought two regs and a BC at a local shop cheaper than LP prices. You just have to wait and shop around. In May there will be the Anual "scuba show" and with it many local discounts. Then again in June or so. There are anyways sales.

Remember there atre about 60 (yes six-zero) dives shops in the So Cal area. That means competitition.

As I type this good 7mm full suits are selling for between US$90 and US$125.
I was just going to pick up a BC for $150 for my son. But do NOT just walk into
a LDS and pay the marked price.

WannaLaguna:
Hey 50!

Thanks! cya soon!

abrown203:
Jeff,

I remember you saying that you are planning on going for your DM this fall. Many Pros I know tell me that the dive shops require them to use the same equipment that is sold in their store. I also imagine that Instructors and DMs need to have an octo for student training purposes instead of just a combo inflator/octo like a Tusa Duo-Air.

Maybe Jan and the other Pros can shed some light on this?

Here is my 2 cts. worth on gear:
BC: Fit is everything. I personally like back inflation. I recommend one that has (or supports) 2 tank straps for those rougher surf entries. If you plan on doing deep/night/lobster diving, I recommend a BC with side pockets big enough to hold a medium (C8) flash light and have plenty of D-rings. Rear trim weight pouches are nice if you plan on diving an AL tank. I dive a Zeagle Ranger. I would recommend it (though it has it's disadvantages).

Reg: Apeks is excellent. The ATX-50 primary (or 100 or 200 if you have the $$) with an ATX-40 octo would be my Apex recommendation. I dive an Atomic Z1 and love it.

My Canadian dive buddy and I got certified at the same time. I got all my gear through a LDS while he went through LeisurePro and EBay. We got nearly the exact same setup but I paid $1200 more than him. That still burns me to this day. If I had to do it over again I am not sure what I would do.

Anyway... cheers,

-Aaron

Hey Aaron, What's up? Long time!

Hmmmm, I've not heard that one about the DM's and Instructors having to use the same gear the store sells?? I will definitely look into that one? How can they force you to buy brands that you might not necessarily want?

I've tried the Pro QD and it fills amazing!! I have been using an old Sherwood for the longest time and never knew what comfort was till I slipped into that seaquest. Yep, the Pro QD has nice roomy pockets, plenty of room there.

I've been getting allot of feedback for Pacific Wilderness. I might check them out. I just talked to an Aqualung rep. about warrantees and "if" I buy my gear up here does the warrantee come with me to the states. When we were living in Newport we bought a brand new Toshiba 32" flat screen and after moving back to Canada the picture tube blew. It wasn't even a year old! The warrantee did not cover me once I crossed the border. I was paranoid of the same thing happening again...(Good news though...I *****ed enough to both Toshiba US and Canada that they eventually gave me a brand new TV to leave them alone! :eyebrow:

PS Studying my a$$ off for my DM exam!!!! :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom