Opinions on buying new vs. used equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, a quick look through this thread reveals that most divers suggest buy used. I have to agree with that, but I've only been diving since 1973, so I may not have enough experience.
There's the prob, Couv! It's a generational thing. :D I bought my first pair of JetFins from Hal Watts in 1969, and I still own them! While I can't wear them (too stinking small), they fit my daughter so all is good. Once you get to having 40 years exp (not just a measly 37), I'm sure that your outlook will change! :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

People who want to buy used gear are often willing to work/wait for it, are open to making a few minor compromises and feel joy in making a great deal.

People who want to buy new want/need it now, are unwilling to make any compromises and feel joy in breaking in a brand new toy.

Every diver is different and every view on why you do it your particular way is also different. This has been one of the most enjoyable threads to see the differing emphases we place on our diving gear.

:D

All of my original gear still fits- Except my wetsuit; but that’s just because it shrank. Seriously though, there is another facet to consider. Where would you find a better than new regulator like the ScubaPro Balanced Adjustable? Even the much lauded G250 is an inferior copy manufactured out of plastic in order to reduce production cost. So there reasons other than price to consider......I have a BA with your name on it in my closet if you can afford it. :wink:

c

:D

All of my original gear still fits- Except my wetsuit; but that’s just because it shrank. Seriously though, there is another facet to consider. Where would you find a better than new regulator like the ScubaPro Balanced Adjustable? Even the much lauded G250 is an inferior copy manufactured out of plastic in order to reduce production cost. So there resons other than price to consider......I have a BA with your name on it in my closet if you can afford it. :wink:

c

Ain't that the truth! I wish someone would make wetsuits out of something that does not shrink as we.....I mean they get older. :)

OK, just to change the tone a little....

One disadvantage of buying used gear is that you may go around diving with someone else's name in big letters on your gear, and that can raise some questions.

In the case of one of my dive buddies, I get a minor case of the willies every time I see the name IRVINE on his argon bottle. :wink:

i now find myself in the same situation , hmmmm im feeling half used and half new :)

That's a high rental rate, but I agree with your point. Some folks will advise to rent for a year until you figure out what you want. That's a lot of money thrown away. If a new diver gets with more exprienced guys in their area and observes what works for them, they can't go yoo far wrong. I did that years ago and found out that the cheap gear worked just fine.

Have fun with it.

You think it's high? That's 10 dives total with BC, tanks, and regs to pay for my entire rig. That's counting about $35 for everything as a rental price. I have no idea if that's generally high, but it's about average for what I've seen around here...

I've seen better and worse in regards to those prices. :D

That's 10 dives total with BC, tanks, and regs to pay for my entire rig.

Sounds like you did really well. I don't know what constitutes your "rig", but if I fill in the blanks, it reads like you got all your gear for $350.

I need to learn from the ace gear hunters. Most of whet I find locally is folks who bought a full set of gear and want to sell it is a set. That might be a good deal if everything fits, and you need it all. Often sellers paid top dollar and want to recover most of it.

Anyway, you did well.

Back
Top Bottom