Opinions on Dacor's Viper American reg. set?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, looks like that is the D16 1st stage. Definitely Mares. And I also see that the Vyper line from that era included variations labelled Gold, Metal, Tec, America, & Octopus. I am sure some of those differences are based on which 1st stage the Vyper was paired with. No idea what America signified, unless that was purely a marketing play in certain regions. Looks the same as all the other Vypers I have serviced.

Thanks again.
So that makes it a sealed diaphragm with a swivel turret?

Thanks again.
So that makes it a sealed diaphragm with a swivel turret?
Nope. (trying to figure out what I said that gave that idea....!)

It is a diaphragm 1st stage, but not environmentally sealed, and no swivel.
The D20 had an extra swivel between the 1st stage body and the primary hose, but not a swivel turret.
When you say "travel set" I interpreted that as warm water, so not much need for a sealed 1st stage, right?

It was my inept googling that got me to a diagram and presumtions.
Thanks for clarification.
Yes, a warm water set is my goal.

Thanks again

And if you find you don't like the Vyper performance, you could always just pick up a new Rover 2nd stage to replace the Vyper primary, and continue on with the D16 and the Vyper octo.

Probably you won't like the performance of the Viper.
To me it's a substandard 2nd, which I would use only as an Octopus (even in warm waters) and that reluctantly.....
As suggested by Jack I would look at least for the primary 2nd for example for the Rover 2nd......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom