opinions on DIR diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
boomx5 once bubbled...

I have taken GUE classes and I don't feel like I'm superior or better than anybody else. There are those type of people on both sides of the issue. I take the DIR approach to diving because for me, it is the best solution to the direction I want my diving to go in. You dive your way because for you, you feel it the best solution. We all have a choice to make in the training we take. I have conviction about mine, you have conviction about yours, so whats the point of arguing?

An inferiority complex?

If you want something with minimal gear try taking up canoeing. Canoe..Paddles, Life vests.....Pretty simple and really fun too.
First off...it is clear you don't know much about canoeing....I see no mention of beer or ice cold coolers stuffed with beer....I also don't see anything about the required tipping of friend's canoe when your cooler runs dry b/c you want to get to their beer....

Come on down and work with us in the rivers for a little bit. Let's see what kind of diver you are? 0 Viz, 38 degrees, 2.5 - 3.0 Knot current, working with the sense of touch only. Cleaning out water intakes or rebuilding them, lifting boats or like recently hooking up wenches to a sunken bulldozer

Where do you learn to do this in your GUE or DIR seminar, class, lecture or whatever it is this week.
Second...you might want to check into the background of the people you're slamming here...NEW dives in the Northeast...I'm pretty sure he knows what 38 deg, current, and no viz is like....

That aside...GUE's fundamentals class is just that....a fundamentals class. It has nothing at all to do with rescue and recovery of equipment. That type of diving is by no means recreational. I'm not saying GUE doesn't offer tech training....but in any Technical or Commercial application you introduce a large risk factor that cannot be ignored. In order to address those risks, you have to have the fundamentals of diving down...period...that's it. I don't see why or where you get the notion that everything not taught by GUE is a reason to take an open shot at them.

I find ironic when I see these these GUE divers consider themselves something above the rest or as you so well put it, recreational diving. Your comment is the perfect example.
I do believe that there are a lot of non-GUE divers out there and here on the board who IMHO stand above the masses of the recreational diving community. People's egos tend to get inflated and the ones who are vocal about what they think is DIR is what gives DIR a bad reputation. Nowadays...many people are associating all "DIR" folks, and those loud "Quasi-DIR" folks with GUE....thus giving GUE a bad rap in some people's eyes. This is not the case.

I plan to continue my diving education with GUE once I get some more free-time, and I don't have to worrk about what's going on at home with my (very very soon to be) 2 kids. I like GUEs motives and philopsiphy....the instructors I have met are first-class, top-notch divers....and they're super nice guys and gals to boot.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

An inferiority complex?
YEah...my bank account seems to be getting smaller and smaller...I feel inferior in that regard.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...
Come on down and work with us in the rivers for a little bit. Let's see what kind of diver you are? 0 Viz, 38 degrees, 2.5 - 3.0 Knot current, working with the sense of touch only. Cleaning out water intakes or rebuilding them, lifting boats or like recently hooking up wenches to a sunken bulldozer.

Where do you learn to do this in your GUE or DIR seminar, class, lecture or whatever it is this week. Do they teach you what kind of photographs to take of the water intakes and how to do it in some of these coniditions. Or the photographs we had to take of the bulldozer...A man died on it the day before. I'm sure your "above recreational training" has taught you how to handle this type of scene.

So now you claim to be a commercial diver...... Hmmmm.... This is relevant to what???

Let's see. Zero vis, heavy current, touch contact. Sounds like my last dive on the U-853, except that I was also in 120 fsw. Are your rivers that deep?

I also didn't have surface supplied gas or u/w communications.

Regardless, its obvious that commercial work is different than any type of sport diving. I make no claim to being a commercial diver.

That said, I do see some similarities in some of the concepts. DIR emphasizes training, experience and equipment. According to some of the knowledgeable commercial divers, such as Pipedope, commercial diving also emphasizes these elements, albeit with different types of training, equipment and support that is based upon the different mission of a commercial diver.

Regardless, if you've got the cash and the equipment, I've got the time.

The fact remains that you are continuously shooting your mouth off about DIR when you've never taken a course and, therefore, have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. Your alleged commercal diving experience doesn't change that fact.

Incidentally, I don't think that DIR divers are superior merely because they are DIR. My point was that you have no way of knowing, one way or the other, and won't until you take a course so that you can offer actual comparisons that are not based on third-hand internet hearsay.

Well, I just wasted part of my life catching up on this thread. Since I didn't see _anything_ except the typical pissing contest that we get in all of these threads... time to find another thread to start measuring in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom