opinions on DIR diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
roakey once bubbled...

You betcha! Personally they should have left seat belts in the race cars. There's NO PLACE for seatbelts in recreational vehicles. And after all, when some idiot proposed that they be put in normal cars, most emergency personel didn't know how to deal with some one trapped in a car in that technical gear!

Imagine how many lives would have been saved if we didn't take that techical stuff from the race cars and moved it into normal vehicles!

Oh wait, that reasoning is completely full of it, isn't it?

At least *I* can see that.

Roak

Now I understand! That must be why DIR divers use one piece seat belts to strap their technical gear to their backs.

Is that what you were getting at Roak?

pwfletcher once bubbled...

Now I understand! That must be why DIR divers use one piece seat belts to strap their technical gear to their backs.

Is that what you were getting at Roak?

That's what all that webbing is for. To manufactur their own cross chest over the shoulder harness system.:D You know..So all that gear doesn't float away in the event of an accident.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...

That's what all that webbing is for. To manufactur their own cross chest over the shoulder harness system.:D You know..So all that gear doesn't float away in the event of an accident.

I always laugh a bit when I listen to recreational divers who've never taken a GUE course try to explain it. "All that gear"??? WTF.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

I always laugh a bit when I listen to recreational divers who've never taken a GUE course try to explain it. "All that gear"??? WTF.

Do you think that SCUBA has little gear involved or something? WTF?

suit, fins, mask, bc, tank, regulator with gauges, backup, etc. etc, tool(s).

Call me foolish....But that is "a lot of gear". And this is the skeleton list. If you want something with minimal gear try taking up canoeing. Canoe..Paddles, Life vests.....Pretty simple and really fun too.

I find ironic when I see these these GUE divers consider themselves something above the rest or as you so well put it, recreational diving. Your comment is the perfect example.

Come on down and work with us in the rivers for a little bit. Let's see what kind of diver you are? 0 Viz, 38 degrees, 2.5 - 3.0 Knot current, working with the sense of touch only. Cleaning out water intakes or rebuilding them, lifting boats or like recently hooking up wenches to a sunken bulldozer.

Where do you learn to do this in your GUE or DIR seminar, class, lecture or whatever it is this week. Do they teach you what kind of photographs to take of the water intakes and how to do it in some of these coniditions. Or the photographs we had to take of the bulldozer...A man died on it the day before. I'm sure your "above recreational training" has taught you how to handle this type of scene.

Just your average have fun recreational diver....One of these days I'll take the KNOW ALL class.

Come on down and work with us in the rivers for a little bit. Let's see what kind of diver you are? 0 Viz, 38 degrees, 2.5 - 3.0 Knot current, working with the sense of touch only. Cleaning out water intakes or rebuilding them, lifting boats or like recently hooking up wenches to a sunken bulldozer.

Where do you learn to do this in your GUE or DIR seminar, class, lecture or whatever it is this week.

Weren't you the one talking about apples and oranges a minute ago?

boomx5 once bubbled...
why do you even care about DIR or GUE? You haven't taken the course, and you don't dive that way, so why are you always commenting on it?

If someone want's to talk down to "recreational divers" like they are better than everyone else, then I've got a problem with that. And that was the case in my last comment.

But your right....I don't care about either of the two you mentioned.

But I will continue to comment as long as they think they're better than everyone else.

If I continue now....it's just that dead horse issue...Poor horsey

If I continue now....it's just that dead horse issue...Poor horsey

The horse is already dead so why feel sorry for it?

cornfed once bubbled...

The horse is already dead so why feel sorry for it?

Dag gone man...Are you a litagater or something? Haven't you ever felt sorry for something that is dead. Like the dude that died a few days ago on his bulldozer with his son right in front of him....

I'm outta here for a while.....

I'll be back later and try to be the master debator......:D

But I will continue to comment as long as they think they're better than everyone else.

I have taken GUE classes and I don't feel like I'm superior or better than anybody else. There are those type of people on both sides of the issue. I take the DIR approach to diving because for me, it is the best solution to the direction I want my diving to go in. You dive your way because for you, you feel it the best solution. We all have a choice to make in the training we take. I have conviction about mine, you have conviction about yours, so whats the point of arguing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom