opinions on DIR diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
IndigoBlue once bubbled...

That is one of the modern myths of JJ's DIR. Originally, TWO OF EVERYTHING was the fundamental DIR philosophy. And this specifically meant 2 tanks, 2 regs, 2 etc. JJ has totally missed the boat on this issue. Had he instead said something to the effect that rather than wearing an 80 cu ft tank, divers should wear twin 40s, I would agree with him. But he did not.

This is another one of JJ's myths. Two watchs was the older standard. The idea is to be buddy independent in case you are in a cave or wreck, get separated from your buddy, AND have a failure. In modern terms, this would equate to two electronic depth/time gauges.

I am glad BigJetDiver put that fallacy to rest as well. DIR has been around at least 30 years. A lot longer than JJ.

There are things I truly love about JJ's book. For example, I hope that donating the primary 2nd stage will become an industry-wide training standard. I also hope that jetfins or turtle fins will gain a resurgence, rather than the long freediving fins that are being pushed onto divers these days; in other words, shorter fins rather than longer ones. Above all else, he bravely states that not everyone is cut out to be certified as a scuba diver, and he is right. Current standards are dangerously low, all for the sake of revenue growth within the diving industry.

since JJ is a member here, maybe you can share your concerns with him instead of criticize him. And then while your at it, why don't you give us your diving resume so the things you say may carry some weight. We get a lot of new people on here who claim to know everything there is to know about diving, when in reality they are just another sock puppet. And if you don't believe me, ask cornfed who Karl the Klown is. :wink:

boomx5 once bubbled...

since JJ is a member here, maybe you can share your concerns with him instead of criticize him. And then while your at it, why don't you give us your diving resimay so the things you say may carry some weight. We get a lot of new people on here who claim to know everything there is to know about diving, when in reality they are just another sock puppet. And if you don't believe me, ask cornfed who Karl the Klown is. :wink:

I had to give my resume why shouldn't every one else:D

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

I had to give my resume why shouldn't every one else:D

Mine is to short to bother typing in!

boomx5 once bubbled...
And if you don't believe me, ask cornfed who Karl the Klown is. :wink:

He is the inspiration for the Karl_in_Calif Memorial Ad Hominem society, what more do you want to know?

boomx5 once bubbled...
I'll post mine when I get my first c-card. But till then I'm an advanced cyber-tech-diver.

I wrote an outline for a cyber diver course and posted it to TDS. Unfortunately, the course materials included the so Paris Hilton video the whole post got deleted... oops

Don't worry, we'll get you a c-card in no time!

Peak Performance Comprehension Specialty
Why Peak Performance Comprehension?

If you want to fine-tune your comprehension and soar over chat rooms, extend filibusters and prolong your life as a cyber-diver, the Peak Performance Comprehension Specialty course is for you.

What do I need to start?

* Cyber-Diver or Junior Cyber-Diver certification (or equivalent certification from another newsgroup or forum)
* Minimum age: 13 years old

What will I do?

During your Peak Performance Comprehension Specialty course, you'll use Basic Posting Guidelines to recognize trolls and understand obscure references. Then you'll practice the fundamentals of peak performance comprehension during two cyber-dives, including the reading comprehension check, introduction to rec.scuba, correct use of ad hominem, satire and flaming.

How long will it take?

* Recommended Course Hours: five
* Minimum Online Training: two cyber-dives over one day

What will I need?

* Peak Performance Comprehension video.
* Broadband network connection.

If you want to make sure your comprehension performs at its peak, drop by your local Cyber-Dive Center.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom