opinions on DIR diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not pro DIR or anti-DIR. Agree with alot and disagree with alot but I must admit that GUE trained as opposed to alot of other OW trained divers I've seen is a huge difference. Alot of guys are running people through OW so fast they develope no skills and I believe are a danger to themselves and others. I have seen Open Water go from an all encompassing scuba diving course to an underwater "breathing course". Seems alot of new guys I see can do little more than breath underwater. They are not comfortable, skilled or confident. It has really gotten bad the last couple years. Now I do know some PADI, NAUI instructors who are top notch and teach there students well. But as of late it seems there are 50 lame instructors to 1 good one. GUE seems to have gotten good quality control in place. While I dont agree with everything they promote, they are consistant and seem to produce the better skilled divers. I do believe you can get as good a training from a good instructor from any agency, but if your a new guy just getting wet how do you know who is good?That must be the agencies responsibility and many are dropping the ball.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

In what way are they teaching divers to handle emergencies different?

Uh....Donating the primay vs. donating the standard way by donating the octo or safe 2nd.

I'm sure there are more....But this has to be the dooozie.

Poor dead horse.....let's kick it one more time.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...

Uh....Donating the primay vs. donating the standard way by donating the octo or safe 2nd.

In my NAUI class I was taught to donate my primary. We would either buddy breath (talk about non-standard) or switch to our backup (an AirII).

All together now,
"Sometimes I feel like I'm beatin' a dead horse"

I'm sure there are more....But this has to be the dooozie.

I don't know how you can say that donating the primary is non-standard with so many recreational divers using Air 2 type devices.

If you put it that way then the standard way is to have a octo that dangles loose where no one could find it if they need it because I sure see a lot of divers and students diving that way. LOL

Teaching divers to be able to share air while maintaining buoyancy control and position is where they're deviating from standard (doing it on their knees) but I'd say that's a good thing. Of course GUE doesn't own the patent on that but judjing by how few teach it you'd think they did.

caverkevin once bubbled...
There is a question burning in my brain. Why do some divers choose not to dive DIR? I am trying to understand why some people are resistant ideas, equipment configuration or any other parts. Please help me understand!!!! I have been diving the DIR for so long, it is impossible for me to think of a good reason not to dive DIR.

Kevin Jones

At 19 months, and still going, this troll has put even the Eveready Bunny to shame.

Do You Have The Bunny Inside?

If you don't have anything better to do, and it seems like some of us don't, what's wrong with beating a dead horse?

Is there any way to link the LP vs LDs threads to this one? :boom:

Scott M once bubbled...
Is there any way to link the LP vs LDs threads to this one? :boom:

As a matter of fact there is but it might get me moderated:D

LOL :D

NO....Teaching a group of divers to dive differently and training them to handle emergencies differently from the majority of the recreation diving community does NOT benefit the diving community at all. It's going to catch up with them before long and someone will be hurt.

They need to stick with the Tech community where it is most benefiticial.
You betcha! Personally they should have left seat belts in the race cars. There's NO PLACE for seatbelts in recreational vehicles. And after all, when some idiot proposed that they be put in normal cars, most emergency personel didn't know how to deal with some one trapped in a car in that technical gear!

Imagine how many lives would have been saved if we didn't take that techical stuff from the race cars and moved it into normal vehicles!

Oh wait, that reasoning is completely full of it, isn't it?

At least *I* can see that.

Roak

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom