opinions on DIR diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
my main problem with DIR is that it seems like it basically equals diving a Hogarthian rig, doing Pyle stops, not relying on dive computers and having a fundametalist attitude

i dive a hog rig, do deep stops
i do use a computer for my "no-deco" diving but i plan my dives ahead of time. its true that all dives are deco dives.
for doing dives requiring scheduled deco stops (which i currently dont do) i would cut tables

i like alot of the DIR concepts but they arent DIR's
and i can do without the religious zeal
good ideas dont need pushy people pushing them

I dive an inspiration rebreather. I have been diving rebreathers for about 10 years and have not had a tank on in all that time. Pretty much all my dive buddies subscribe to the DIR approach (except for not diving with CCR's obviously). My girl friend wanted to get certified and did through Padi. I pretty much stayed out of it, trying to not to take control of her and contradicting her instructor ect. We did the book work together, and everything went well. We rented gear for her dives and she got her OW ticket. The weekend after the class I decided to go do some nice shallow dives with her. I was horified at what I saw. Absoulutely no control, rototilling, unbelievable. No comprehension of trim and boyancy, bicycle kicking ect. With that said I called a couple of my DIR buddies to go to work on her, and they did. What an overhaul and in less time than the entire OW circuit as well. These guys were great and really gave her a good foundation to build on. As for DIR I've met wonderful people, and total jerks. All the bad things you hear seem to be associated with bad examples. You never hear a guy *****ing about DIR because some real nice guy came up and helped him out, its because some jerk ruined there day and they happened to be DIR. DIR has nothing to do with how a person acts...If there a jerk on the boat they would be a jerk anywhere. I'm pretty far from DIR and have experienced a little crap from guys because of the rebreathers. But 99% of the people diving DIR I have met have been wonderful. They are detail oriented, organized and thoughtul. Dont let a few idiots give you a mental picture that should not be there. Starting out I would recommend DIR-F to anyone, and I'm not DIR. What works works and alot of the other organizations are not getting it done. I know we all say its about the instructor, and it is. But its also about quality control and weeding out the unsuitable instructors. IMO it is the agencies responsibility to verify that the quality of graduates is up to par. I dont know how they can achieve this but it should be done.

30' reef dives on an inspiration you betcha, 300' dives on an inspiration absolutely. I dive the same rig every dive. Be it photographing puffers at 30', or jewfish at 300'. Same rig.

and many thousands of divers have been diving right for many decades.

I for one do not need a new group of divers or a group of divers with a new philosophy to tell me how to dive "right".

DIR has many good ideas..mostly borrowed and/evolved from divers who have been diving for decades...The idea that DIR divers have created a "new & safer" way to dive is offensive to many folks.

DIR types have not discovered the "Way & the Light" -- But many think they have!

:naner:

I cannot believe this old dead thread got resurrected again.

Fundamentally, DIR represented full redundancy of all critical gear:

1st stages

twin tanks

lights

knives

watches

gauges

etc

JJ wrote a book about shallow water DIR, and tried to re-define the concepts, but therein was his mistake, because the system has always been evolving, and still is.

I do not believe that equating JJ's DIR with supposedly all DIR is a correct conclusion. But if that is what you have been conditioned to believe, then that is all that you know.

LMAO

IndigoBlue once bubbled...

1st stages

twin tanks

lights

knives

watches

gauges

etc

JJ wrote a book about shallow water DIR, and tried to re-define the concepts, but therein was his mistake, because the system has always been evolving, and still is.

I do not believe that equating JJ's DIR with supposedly all DIR is a correct conclusion. But if that is what you have been conditioned to believe, then that is all that you know.
Huh?????

as you are aware most people get into scuba diving as a sport, you know have fun with friends, so the rules that are out there for ow scuba diving are more than enough for people just to have fun see some fish and call it a day,but as in everything there are those who push the limits and thats way you have other levels of training, but to say it has to be done a certin way is the most stupid thing i've ever heard.

Hey folks..

I'm not a technical diver, nor am I DIR trained. I dive on the east coast of Canada, as far as I know the only GUE instructor in Canada is in Ontario, if the training was available here, there is a very good chance that I would have taken a DIR/F course by now. The fact that the system is all encompassing is something I respect and find somewhat appealing, at the same time, I like to have options, and being able to design my own training path also appeals to me.
I'm sure most people would agree that DIR is a good system, one that is committed to excellence, and one that benefits the diving community as a whole. That being said, there are bound to be differences in the way people dive at all levels, just as in any other facet of life. I was on a course last week and we had an American P3 pilot as one of the instructors. This fellow was giving an example of differences between our two systems of incident management in the air and he outlined major fundamental differences in the handling of an emerency with an engine. One approach called for a complete shutdown, the other did not. These 2 aircraft are nearly identical, but still there are 2 very different techniques for handling of emergencies. There will always be differences in methodology, even at the highest levels of performance, in nearly all fields.
I respect DIR for what it is, regardless of whether or not the odd DIR trained diver thinks I'm a stroke or whatever. I've only encountered a few GUE divers, they were very skilled and very kind and helpful. Just my thoughts on the subject.... dive safe all....

IndigoBlue once bubbled...

1st stages

twin tanks

lights

You can be very DIR with a single tank and a single reg.
knives

watches

gauges

etc

As far as I know they don't teach to use redundant gauges. Your buddy has those. The team diving aspect and the insistance on good skills (at all levels of diving) is the part you've missed/

"JJ's DIR", as you put it, is the only DIR that there is. JJ and GI coined the term and they define the system.

nalfein once bubbled...

one that is committed to excellence, and one that benefits the diving community as a whole.

NO....Teaching a group of divers to dive differently and training them to handle emergencies differently from the majority of the recreation diving community does NOT benefit the diving community at all. It's going to catch up with them before long and someone will be hurt.

They need to stick with the Tech community where it is most benefiticial.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And how can anyone take DIR advice or Info. from a guy who claims that split fins are "snakepoison".

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom