Opinions on diving the Children's Pool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for some input about diving at the Children's Pool in San Diego.

Situation: we have a family vacation in San Diego next week and I am taking my wife on her first ocean dive. We only have a couple of hours so we are opting for some shore dives. I like to dive La Jolla Cove and the Shores but it's always a pretty good surface swim and I'd like to keep things as simple as possible for her first few ocean dives. The Children's Pool looks like an easy entry and people tell me that there are some good shallow reefs to look at.

Question 1: is the diving any good -- are there some reasonably good sights close in without a lot of paddling?

Question 2: assuming the the lifeguards say the beach is open, is the dive worth making our way past the zealots standing as self-appointed harbor seal guardians?

Question 3: if you think that the answer to 1 and/or two is no, is there anyplace that you would recommend for a new diver?

Thanks for the input!

I didn't realize you still could dive it... I thought they had closed it due to the pinnipeds.

I dove there a few years ago, and the seal huggers were out in full force. They wanted to give us a big hassle, but we weren't interested.

I definately would not dive there with my wife. Go to La Jolla Cove.

Many years ago I worked for the City of San Diego as a lifeguard and was stationed in the La Jolla area. I worked at Children's Pool (or Casa Cove, if you want to sound like a local) and all the other guarded beaches. I dove Casa Cove routinely when abalone were in season. I agree with the others that it is not a place for beginners, except when conditions are very good, i.e. little to no surf. When there is surf, there are currents that can fool you and push you onto the rocks. I've dragged many an experienced diver from this situation. The easiest entry and exit is now the domain of the seals. I have not attempted to dive this beach since the seals took over. There are laws protecting the seals, but I can't quote them to you. I haven't been a lifeguard for sometime now. Regardless or any laws, there are too many seal-nazi's who would love to give you and your wife a hard time about using that beach. Some of them are just plain nuts and the dive is not worth the unpleasant interaction you will have. The other entry/exits should only be attempted by experienced beach divers, unless conditions are IDEAL. Check with the lifeguard.

Casa Cove is very similar to La Jolla Cove in terms of what you will see. As you know, you will need to paddle out more at La Jolla Cove to get to the better spots. There is some nice and safe diving toward the caves between La Jolla Cove and La Jolla Shores. It is too far to swim to that spot; personally, I'd hop the fence near the shellshop and traverse the small cliff to enter near "Sunny Jim" cave. I wouldn't attempt that w/ wife in tow, however. Exiting onto the rocks would be tricky for a novice. Bird Rock is another option on a good day, but here are no lifeguards.

Your best bet is to stick with what you know when you are introducing someone new to the sport. I'd take your wife to La Jolla Shores and The Cove and keep it simple.

The Marine Mammal Protection Act is the law you are talking about. And it basicaly says If you harass *do any thing to the animal that disrupts its natral behaviour* marine mammal. Also you are not supposed to get w/in 100 ft of the animal. The min. fine is $10,000. I only know this because every sunday we go out and rescue the sick marine mammals that we get calls about. And we are supposed to infourm the public about it. May look cute and cuddly in the water, But those things can be nasty on land so if there is a group of sea lions your best bet is to go some where eles.

Sorry cant tell you about any dive spots down there.

From a San Diego website about Childrens Pool Scuba Diving in San Diego - La Jolla Cove
"As of 3/3/2007, the beach is OPEN for human use (provided you do not harass the animals) as long as it isn’t closed for pupping season (a compromise struck between the two groups)."

Thanks, Melvin, for clarifying that.

If the surf is flat (an I mean Flat!!) you can dive the back side of Casa Cove, it's a shorter swim then La Jolla Cove, and there is a elaborate reef structure in 15-20 ft of water. I often dive it the first night of lobster season.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom