Opinions on the Oxycheq universal light sock?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going to pick up a small handheld light for an upcoming trip, but I want to keep using a Goodman style handle as I do on my can light at home. Has anyone opinions to share on the Oxycheq universal light sock? It looks good on paper, but I would like to hear from some users.

Hey, Matt - did you decide not to go with the CREE MC-E light?

I ordered two of them, received them a few days later (about a week and a half ago). I have not had them underwater yet, but they are incredibly bright, and seem like they will work great. Build quality looks good, they seem sturdy and of high quality.

I ended up getting the Big Blue Goodman Handle from Northeast Scuba Supply that you suggested. It fits the barrel on these lights *perfectly* - very snug, they are not going to slip out. The lights are a little large, sitting on the back of one's hand, but I still think they'll work great.

I've only played with the lights above water so far, but I'm very, very impressed - the things throw an intense, incredibly bright beam, like a landing jetliner - I feel like I'll be able to summon Batman quickly if I point it at a cloud.

The lights are a little larger and heavier than I had expected (and yes, the "assault crown" is a little silly looking), but for the money, they seem like really sweet lights - IF they don't flood. I will find out about that in a couple weeks. I'll post a review here after I get back in November. But so far - in dry conditions - they seem just awesome, and I'm glad I bought them. If they hold up OK underwater, I think they'll be super.

Just thought I'd share that since I believe you were considering these at some point. Hope that helps.

Actually I ordered a pair of the MC-E lights last night. I decided not to go for the newer 1200 lumen light for a few reasons.

I also ordered a pair of Oxycheq Raider III light socks, because another poster testified that they fit the light and that was the only personal experience on a light sock that I could find. Too bad you didn't post last night. :)

It is good to know about the Big Blue product... I'll order a pair and see which I like better, I guess.

Thanks for the followup!

Actually I ordered a pair of the MC-E lights last night. I decided not to go for the newer 1200 lumen light for a few reasons.

What are your reasons for not going with the newer 1200 lumen light?

Last edited:
It's a little bigger, and when wrist mounted I figured the smaller size would be appreciated. Also it is hard to find the batteries for it. For the smaller lights there are many brands and capacities to choose from.

(As it turns out I did not like the MC-E lights either... I just got back from a trip with a pair of them and I will post my observations in another thread when I find some time.)

It's a little bigger, and when wrist mounted I figured the smaller size would be appreciated. Also it is hard to find the batteries for it. For the smaller lights there are many brands and capacities to choose from.

(As it turns out I did not like the MC-E lights either... I just got back from a trip with a pair of them and I will post my observations in another thread when I find some time.)

I'd be interested to hear your observations. Since you bought a pair...we you using them as video light?

I use two lights of course (main and backup) but the MC-E is only used for the main light.

Anyway, I'm curious as to what you didn't like about them.

Well, here's the quick version: I got a pair of the lights and noticed that the more I used them, the dimmer they got. It was not a battery problem--I had a "good" light and a "bad" light but eventually they both turned bad. Output power dropped to about half compared to when they were right out of the box.

The vendor replaced them, and the replacements did the same thing.

If I look closely at the emitter I can see it turning brown. One of the lights now has an uneven light pattern as some of the 4 emitters are working better than others. It's easy to see that some of them are discolored.

So I am 0 for 4 on these lights and I am not sure what to do about it. I think the vendor will treat me ok but I don't even know what to ask for. If I keep paying to send bad lights back, these lights won't be a deal for much longer.

There must be a bad batch out there. But hey, they didn't flood!

Later I'll post another thread with some pictures and measurements. Right now I am still recovering from my Roatan vacation. :)

Well, here's the quick version: I got a pair of the lights and noticed that the more I used them, the dimmer they got. It was not a battery problem--I had a "good" light and a "bad" light but eventually they both turned bad. Output power dropped to about half compared to when they were right out of the box.

The vendor replaced them, and the replacements did the same thing.

If I look closely at the emitter I can see it turning brown. One of the lights now has an uneven light pattern as some of the 4 emitters are working better than others. It's easy to see that some of them are discolored.

So I am 0 for 4 on these lights and I am not sure what to do about it. I think the vendor will treat me ok but I don't even know what to ask for. If I keep paying to send bad lights back, these lights won't be a deal for much longer.

There must be a bad batch out there. But hey, they didn't flood!

Later I'll post another thread with some pictures and measurements. Right now I am still recovering from my Roatan vacation. :)

Sorry to hear that! The led must not be mounted correctly for heat sinking purposes and just burn out the more you use them or the driver is not right and is sending too much current to the led which may do the same thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom