Opinions/tips on new gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Primus67

Registered
Reaction score
Since there are several pieces i got, I didn't want to spread it out all over the place. So hopefully no one minds me posting this here:

This is what i just bought:

BCD: Cressi Aquapro 5
Reg: Cressi Ellipse Titanium MC9
Computer: Oceanic Veo 180 SWIV Double Gauge Combo

I'd appreciate any tips, opinions, or experience anyone may have had with any of these products.

All of it looks like good entry level gear. The BC having an integrated weight capacity of 12 lbs would indicate to me that it's geared more towards travel and warm water. Cressi has been around a long time in Europe and is a trusted brand.
The reg is sealed which is good. I myself prefer an adjustable second but if this one is tuned right it'll breathe as good as an 800 dollar reg.
The Veo is a nice simple computer. I still have my ten year old Veo 200. I don't like the swiv console for tasks like navigation. You should be able to see the computer and compass at the same time. But you can always get a wrist compass to compensate for that.

One thing I recommend to students before they purchase gear is to do the research. Once you've bought the item it's kinda late to see what others recommend.

is it not a bit late if you've already purchased it? If you're just looking for approval on what you purchased, why does it matter?

Aquapro 5 is a cheap bc, nothing more there. If you're happy with it, I'm sure you can make it work

Ellipse is a good enough regulator, it will work well and last a long time, I don't like the hose routing but, such is life.

Veo console is what it is, a cheap computer on a console, but at least it has gauge mode so if you get into any decompression diving it isn't a paper weight. Personally for the same amount of money, I think you could have done a lot better, but hindsight is 20/20 and you have to make what you have work which should be perfectly reasonable.

All in all it is fine for travel diving, but I wouldn't take it out onto any of the NJ wrecks....

is it not a bit late if you've already purchased it? If you're just looking for approval on what you purchased, why does it matter?

Aquapro 5 is a cheap bc, nothing more there. If you're happy with it, I'm sure you can make it work

Ellipse is a good enough regulator, it will work well and last a long time, I don't like the hose routing but, such is life.

Veo console is what it is, a cheap computer on a console, but at least it has gauge mode so if you get into any decompression diving it isn't a paper weight. Personally for the same amount of money, I think you could have done a lot better, but hindsight is 20/20 and you have to make what you have work which should be perfectly reasonable.

All in all it is fine for travel diving, but I wouldn't take it out onto any of the NJ wrecks....

tbone, you have always gave sound advice on here so I am not trying to sound like an A$$ hole when I say this but "way to make someone feel like cr@p with their purchase"

To the OP, Jim and tbone are correct and really knows their stuff when it comes to diving. They have answered many of my questions. I myself am a newish diver and have done exactly what you did. Bought cheap gear to get into the sport and realized, after the fact, there is better gear to buy. Really, all that truly matters is "IS IT SAFE!" If it is safe, go out and dive and have FUN. That is why most of aus dive right? To have FUN! That being said, as you move along in your diving and start upgrading your gear, definitely come here and post up. You will get a slew of answers/suggestions on what to buy BUT most will be great suggestions. Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

why does that someone need others to validate their purchase after the fact?

Threads like this start because people are so uncomfortable with what they did, they need others to validate their decision to make them feel better. So, what are we supposed to do, "yay, you bought equipment that is certainly good enough, but I would never recommend anyone purchase from the beginning". Sorry, I don't like to validate peoples feelings when I don't agree with them.

There is a package for about $625 with the bc/reg/console but no computer for around $650.

With $650 you are a bit tight to get a computer with rig, but if you can stretch to $800-$900 you can get a lot better equipment new, or spend the same and go used for about the same amount of money. I am not going to validate someones decisions that I don't agree with. The gear is good enough for reef diving, I'd have no problems using it and for the price for a package, it's not bad at all, but I think better choices could have been made.

Jim said it perfectly, research first, don't buy and ask questions later.

If the purchase was Trianta BP/W, Hog or edge reg set, and a used Nitek duo or something, this thread would be "you can read basically any of the top threads in computer, bc, regulators and know what the opinion is going to be. When was the last time you saw Cressi anything get recommended on here? It doesn't make it bad equipment, all equipment on the market is good enough for certain purposes, but there is no point in validating someones decisions. Sorry OP, you started this thread too late for anyone's opinion to matter. If you aren't confident that you made the right decision, then you are never going to be happy with it, no opinion any of us can post will change that. You are either confident enough in it to not have to ask, or you are already having doubts and are hoping that someone will make them go away, but that isn't going to happen.

I'm certainly not looking for validation or for anyone to make me feel better. All I simply asked for were opinions and any tips anyone may have in case they already used this gear. This way I can maybe have a little head start on some functions I may have overlooked instead of waiting to find them on my own, as well as to compare to on future purchases. I'm quite happy with my new gear, thank you very much.

I have a the same BCD, bottom line is that it works. I don't like the fact that the weight pockets are not truly quick release and you can't take the weights out and hand them in when climbing onto the boat. On the other hand, there are no weight pockets to lose, so if you are on vacation and have to ditch your weights, you may have to pay the operator for the lead, but you can still dive the next day. The Aquapro 5 is cheap and functional. I have seen a couple of shops/operators that use them as their rental BCDs.

No worries with the weight pockets. I always use my weight belt and never had a problem with it. I'll probably use the weight pockets to store snickers bars in. :chocolate:

Since there are several pieces i got, I didn't want to spread it out all over the place. So hopefully no one minds me posting this here:

This is what i just bought:

BCD: Cressi Aquapro 5
Reg: Cressi Ellipse Titanium MC9
Computer: Oceanic Veo 180 SWIV Double Gauge Combo

I'd appreciate any tips, opinions, or experience anyone may have had with any of these products.
I started out with the Oceanic Veo 100 Nx which is an even cheaper simpler DC than yours and was happy diving with it for many years. I agree with Jim that the console design is not ideal for compass use and after upgrading to a second computer took the Veo and compass out of the console and put them in wrist mounts.

Fortunately, I have a wrist compass. I'm so used to it that I don't think i could use any other type anymore.

Back
Top Bottom