Opinions Wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you should move to Yap Catherine... we hardly have any cars on the road and most are nicely paved. i try to do at least 20 miles a day on days when i get back from diving before 1pm (i leave around 5pm)

tis a nice ride and can do some nice off roading as well....

twenty miles,huh?

I am whupped at 7. Is Yap flat? I am trying to sprint some little hills.

I never thought I would like cycling, but it is so fun.

Moving options will open up here in a couple years when the litter is out of high school.

Yes, if you plan to break the law, at least know the consequences, that's what I say...

Very silly it's illegal. The highway was a huge cost and is not even used....think if they opened it to cyclists?

It could be a premier Iron Man training ground. JB's sister is training hard for the next one, BTW.

Cameron, ..what does "bonked" mean in cycle speak? running out of fuel or something?

whew...I saw a Merlin in Titanium the other day. Can't afford it but it is haunting me.

Mike, I just got into riding at night with the blinky HID lights. The cars can see you better than day time. The pot holes and grates are causing me grief though...

I think we need a cycling sub-forum!

The roadies on Bikeforum.net are a bit over my head and if you venture out of there the "car-free" people get you and try to turn you into a vegan. Get away from them, and the Alternative Culture tries to flip you to a recumbant...stressful for a newbie like me.

AND, they lump Hawaii people in to the Pacific Northwest forum....that is not a good match. (Weather, ...just no common ground)

Excellent forum though.

catherine96821:
I think we need a cycling sub-forum!

I have to confess that I will always walk past my scuba gear to get to my bikes, so if you ever want to discuss cycling, I'm always up for it.

I've done both. I have rode my bike to a dive site with full scuba gear on (except fins over the wrists and MOF.

neil:
I have to confess that I will always walk past my scuba gear to get to my bikes, so if you ever want to discuss cycling, I'm always up for it.

okay...we can start a thread sometime, and then just keep adding to it...

Or, I'll Pm you, I have questions sometimes cause I am pretty new. can't believe how much the wind blows me around. Oh! Ventura, I am from Summerland, Whitney Avenue, did we have this conversation? You have some nice riding there.

Yea, I was almost thinking the 95 dollar ticket might be worth it, but I am trying to change my ways.

Dumpster, I am going to need a picture of that please. When you get it for me, I will go to Pete and ask for a cycling subforum...how will he be able to say no? It's up to you to make it seem "scuba related".

The picture pre-dates my scanner

I say go for it Catherine,
as for the riding on the 101??? not thru Van Nuys and Mission Hills!!!! I remember having to white line my hog in that stretch just to keep it cool, talk about thrill seeking! wouldn't do it nowadays.....

catherine96821:
Cameron, ..what does "bonked" mean in cycle speak? running out of fuel or something?

Yep, but more specifically, low blood glucose levels. It can just as easily happen at the beginning of a workout where you had something very sugary before your workout, causing an insulin spike, as it can happen late in a workout during which you did not eat enough. It is different than the usual exercise-related fatigue, and it is unmistakable once you experience it. Cold sweats, trouble concentrating, trouble doing just about anything that requires effort, really, are common symptoms, and it usually comes on very suddenly, like when a car runs out of gas.

The best way to avoid bonking is to avoid refined sugars during your off-exercise eating, make sure you eat something 60-90 minutes before a big workout, and get an eating plan together for exercise lasting more than 60 minutes or so. Sugars are OK during and immediately following exercise, though current thinking is that including some protein accelerates your body's absorption of the carbohydrates. There are ready-mix drinks out there that do this, so it's not like you need to get a burger and a soda to recover. <g>

There is an article at http://www.divefitness.com/html/articles.html under the nutrition section titled "Eating Your Way to a Better Performance" that covers this in more detail.

Cameron

oh...hypoglycemia.

thanks. Yes, I have a tendancy in that direction and protein helps me the most.

dumpsterDiver:
I've done both. I have rode my bike to a dive site with full scuba gear on (except fins over the wrists and MOF.

No helmet?

Back
Top Bottom