Opinions wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sebastian

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey

I finally managed to scan and upload some of the photos from my last dive trip.

I used a SeaLife Reefmaster RC with an external strobe.

This is the first time since the Photography Course that I've taken a camera with me diving.

Opinions and Tips appreciated :)

My UW Photography Website

I'd say it's a pretty good show for the time out after class even for the 100th time out after class, and with a reefmaster too. I love this camera!

Only a couple with a little backscatter, so understand and are using the strobe correctly-bravo.

You can see which ones are a far shot because they're blue. 2nd pic in the 3rd row is a really nice turtle. Close enough to get the benefit of the strobe. I also like the last one in the 1st row. The silhouette on the anchor line. It could use some more contrast, but hey, that's what Photoshop is for, right?:) And the last pic of the last row, the school going by. There are about 5 fish that are lighted against the rest of the school that is not. It's a total fluke of their angle in the light, but it's a really cool shot when that happens.

thanks

this the first time I used the Reefmaster, i love it, it's a nice camera.

Not bad for a first try.
Did you see any seals there? I love diving with them - they're so much fun. Now that I've got my camera I'm thinking of doing a trip there soon.
I can't believe you saw a turtle there :depress: .

2nd row, last picture that's a seal; it's a little bit hard to make out

we only saw one seal but it was great.

I actually saw the turtle on both days we were there

Yeah you really should go there. What we did was 2 dives each day: one shark and one seal dive

The sharks are Grey Nurse Sharks. It's great.

Looks great Sebastian. I'm not experienced enough to critique these in any detail, but they sure look clear. The big rules others keep repeating to me are to shoot horizontally at the level of the subject (not from above), and to get the lens as close to the subject as possible (as little water between you and the subject as possible).

Safe diving, and let us see more when you can.

2nd row, last picture that's a seal; it's a little bit hard to make out
oops, missed that one. Last time I went there the Aussie fur seals (the Kiwi ones were a bit shy) would come right upto us and 'bark' bubbles into our face. In fact if you didn't play with them they would lose interest and go away. Ofcourse your air doesn't last very long.... which makes you realise how 'clunky' we are compared to them.
I think this time of year Montague is more for grey nurse sharks. My dive club has a trip in October, I might just put my name down for it... :)
Re. pics: the most obvious comment that comes to mind is to get low with the subject. This will immediately improve the pics as they will not look flat and uninteresting. Ofcourse, like everyone said, get as close as possible - this will reduce the water column and bring more colours back and also reduce backscatter.
I can see the water is as choppy as ever...

Like everyone mentioned, get low and get close. Try to fill the frame with your subject. One shot of a starfish comes to mind. If you had been lots closer, the starfish would have been the subject and more colorful.

Only thing I can add is keep practicing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom