Orange BCD!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harshal:
Sent you the pics of my orange BC as promised- check it out and let me know if you have any questions, also sent you close up of weight pouch so u can take a look at the zipper pouch

Thanks! But I only got one email and one picture from you..the picture of the back of BCD (Tank Mount) :confused:

In the days of horse collars, orange was a common color. Go retro. Hmmm, perhaps orange will become the new pink.

Orange has always been my favorite..Im just excited I finally found one - and at a good price @ that..It will match my orange crocs nice..too bad there arent any good orange split fins :(

For those who haven't seen the color in person, its not what
I'd call a bright orange. Its more of a burnt orange.
If you are a University of Texas fan, or know their color,
thats the color it is.
In other words its not a University of Tennessee or Safety orange
its it little bit darker color of orange.
Still VERY visible.

--- bill

Been to the store and seen these in person, even tried one on. (I normally dive with a Mares Vector 1000 AT, for comparison). I'd be in an XL (6' 1.5", about 240# right now).

I did get the impression that the nylon was a bit thinner than what is on my Mares, and it was a bit lacking in a lot of back padding, but *so what?* It's not like you really need thick plush padding and 90 billion # denier to prevent wear...so many BCs are overdone on material these days (uh oh...perfect entrance for all the BP/W rants <ducks>). The weight release was simple but seemed like it would be effective, with roomy pockets. I thought the movable trim pockets were a nice touch too. The storage pockets were big and I think there was even a pocket in the cummerbund(?) not that you'd use it for diving, but nice place to stow your c-card if you have the underwater-tag sealed kind, or a DAN card, etc.). Dual tank straps and dual waist straps were also both nice. It looks kind of 'cluttered' in the online picture but the feel with it on was fairly open in front, certainly from the rib cage up. The storage pockets might be a bit far back for comfort on some people, but then I think that about the Vector too with the way the zipper wraps around to over the hipbone to open them. Wasn't much by way of mesh to shed water, but again, that's a nice to have not have to have (I do think the pockets had drainage grommets, but don't remember perfectly).

I have to admit I was kind of impressed with it overall at the price - if I was in the market for a BC, I would have seriously considered it for the price. My brother was in town (he was in the market) and almost got one, but decided not to make an impulse purchase, and since he's in the Portland area and dives with way more neoprene (if not dry) ended up electing to go back inflate. Besides he wants to go SS backplate (again, to counteract all the neoprene) and when we kind of 'dissected' one it didn't look like its included tank support could be swapped out.

I don't know how long ST has had these excess BCs on hand (sure they can chime in) but I know I've seen it on their website for something like the last year. I guess 500 is a LOT to get rid of for a semi 'no-name' BC. Not saying that to knock it. Again, I didn't get to dive it but from a casual try it on and play with all the zippers type of exposure, my reaction was favorable.

NitroWill:
Thanks! But I only got one email and one picture from you..the picture of the back of BCD (Tank Mount) :confused:

Hi... sorry could not reply earlier in the day, I guess pictures were too big for email.
I have uploaded them on kodakgallery and sent you link.
Check it out and let me know.

I have few pictures of my BC if I have them online, in case if anyone interested let me know and I can send the link

Here is a link to another website with the ( same BC ) i think ? This is the company that makes the bc . I have dove this BC doing public safety and I will tell you this if you wear a small - xl bc then this bc will fit you . It has alot of adjustment and is very comfortable . We bought an xl and it will fit me with a Drysuit on with no problem and I wear a 2x drysuit . It also adjusted down to fit several others on the team which used a mlk - lg drysuit the nice thing about it was that if you wanted to wear a weight belt you could or if you wanted to use it as an integrated bc you could . The fron side pockets were set up to be used as a pocket or as a weight integrated system. well enough of my blabbing just thought I would give some first hand input..... here is the link http://www.hughco.com/5500searchtcb25.htm

bperrybap:
For those who haven't seen the color in person, its not what
I'd call a bright orange. Its more of a burnt orange.
If you are a University of Texas fan, or know their color,
thats the color it is.

Burnt/"UT" Orange is my favorite actually (Im originally from texas :D)

Harshal - Thanks! Got em that time! Very nice!
RTRski - Thanks for the input! :)
firefrog - Thanks a bunch - and good find on the link!

Im pretty sold on this BCD now - just to get the money!

Back
Top Bottom