Orange Grove fatality?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Except that 1 SPG and no reg switches is already task loading for some people.

yeah well how many full cave divers do we see that have No, zero, nada situational and cave awareness? Fixated on the line and miss other teams swimming by

I actually believe that when teaching cave...I should be teaching...CAVE not BM, not SM, not trim and buoyancy and not propulsion techniques (except for going into anti silting technique in depth). What that means is that GUE got it right with the need for fundies. If a student on a cave class isn't sorted with whatever config they want to do the course in...well we need to fix that first.

So from that context..BM or SM, the student should already be comfortable and competent in whatever they are diving on the course...before the course.

I agree with this 100%.

yeah well how many full cave divers do we see that have No, zero, nada situational and cave awareness? Fixated on the line and miss other teams swimming by
A lot!!!! The more flow there is the worse it gets
lol

Now let's talk about the real risk with isolation manifolds. @rjack321 gave a great story about it, and I've seen it happen first hand, and people have died from it, so it is a real risk.

That real risk is having the isolator completely closed and being oblivious to that fact..

I know of the woman with hypoxia (almost pure helium) mix in one tank who passed out. Are there other deaths I haven't seen from closed isolators?

I know of the woman with hypoxia (almost pure helium) mix in one tank who passed one. Are there other deaths I haven't seen from closed isolators?
The EN incident? I believe that was a isolator shut while filling and she is in a perm vegetative state last I heard... :-(

The EN incident? I believe that was a isolator shut while filling and she is in a perm vegetative state last I heard... :-(
Yes that one. Although I thought she was alive and basically well but her recovery took years.

I'm just wondering if there have been other "closed isolator" OOA or wrong mix fatalities. I can't think of any but they might be mostly before my time. I know at one time there was quite a debate over the value of the isolator in the first place - a straight crossover bar (no iso valve) being seen as having all of the positives and none of the negatives. But that was back in the 1990s IIRC and has since been lost to history.

Yes that one. Although I thought she was alive and basically well but her recovery took years.

I'm just wondering if there have been other "closed isolator" OOA or wrong mix fatalities. I can't think of any but they might be mostly before my time. I know at one time there was quite a debate over the value of the isolator in the first place - a straight crossover bar (no iso valve) being seen as having all of the positives and none of the negatives. But that was back in the 1990s IIRC and has since been lost to history.
“Ideal” Manifolds… Not So Ideal?

Her name is Judy and she's working as a nurse in Tampa. She recovered after being in a coma for a period of time. I met her last summer in Belize and did a dive with her.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom