Orange saliva after coming up from dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WendyCayman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My dive buddy has pretty much consistently been having a problem with thick orange saliva as soon as we surface that goes away after 20 minutes or so. I'm concerned and want to be sure all is well. He thinks its vitamins... but its a new occurrence... I'm wondering if he should cool it and get himself checked out.

Anyone else suffer from this??

Are there any other symptoms associated? The more information, the better your responses will be. Things to think about: Dive depth/time, any pain, trouble equalizing, stuff like that.

Lifesavers? Jk, hope everything checks out.

Seriously though, has he had sinus problems or sinus surgery?

When did it start, has it ever not happened since it started, what does it taste like? I'm with the guy that said call DAN, but please keep us up to date on what you learn, this sounds pretty interesting.

I'm thinking a small amount of blood from the nose or sinuses as well. Could it be from mask squeeze? Failure to equalize mask at depth?

If you're not sure if it's blood you can get a little paper kit used for checking stool for occult blood. It tests for heme.

Good call. Our dives can be with air or EANx32, ranging from 18m to 38m, generally lasting about an hour. We both have conservative computers, Suunto D4 and the worst that has ever happened from a dive was a headache. Otherwise, we get out and yeah, the first thing is this bright orange livesavery spit! Once we've got out of the water and rinsed our gear... its generally gone.
During dives, he usually is lionfish culling.

There has been another symptom... he mentioned the other day that he was having a choking feeling and that he maybe wanted to throw up. I thought for sure that it was from drinking the night before. Either way... doesn't seem right. Someone needs to go to the doctor!!!

I have had orange mucus/snot before. It happened when I had been body surfing in rough conditions, and got seawater forced into my sinus. It was due to me rupturing some small blood vessels in my sinus. When the blood, sea water and mucus mixed it came out a bright (and concerning) orange.

I have never had it happen diving, and would definitely recommend your friend speak to a doctor.

No, not a heavy drinker. But... Cayman: small drinking island with a big diving problem! Maybe 3 beers a day? Yeah... I think seeing a doctor would be a good idea. I think we're diving today so I'll be getting some more information. But... I'm not tasting it *ick*

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom