ORCA Attack Human?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has there been a documented attack of a human by an ORCA in the wild? I understand that certain ORCAs only eat certain food -- believed to be a socially learned preference -- but I am wondering if the ORCAs that eat seal /seal lions or dolphins have attached man.

Otter:
Has there been a documented attack of a human by an ORCA in the wild? I understand that certain ORCAs only eat certain food -- believed to be a socially learned preference -- but I am wondering if the ORCAs that eat seal /seal lions or dolphins have attached man.

I'd be more worried about them attaching otters.

But what do I know - I'm a guy.

K

Mo2vation:
I'd be more worried about them attaching otters.

But what do I know - I'm a guy.

K

And how would the attach an Otter?

Otter:
And how would the attach an Otter?
Same way they would attached a man, I suppose. :eyebrow:

K

Velcro.

The only reliable report I know about is a 1972 attack on a surfer. A transient-type killer whale bit the dude and then left.

To the untrained this may indicate that the whale didn't like the surfer... keep in mind that "bite and leave" is the default feeding tactic for these things. Great whites have similar behaviours. You wait for the prey animal to weaken from shock and blood loss, and then return. The strategy is theorized to minimize the prey injuring the shark and/or killer whale.

For well over a hundred years folks have been told to get out of the water when killer whales are spotted. The same is obviously true for great whites. Problem with great whites is that they're usually alone and much harder to see from the surface... this is thought by many to be the main reason you have a lot more documented attacks in comparison to the near-nil reports from killer whales.

People generally aren't tasty to marine life, also, but this won't stop a critter from biting you if it's never tasted you before. Killer whales are incredibly curious and resourceful, and I have no doubt of their inkling to bite people. Having seen a friend of mine bitten to the bone by a baby dolphin during playtime, the damage from something a couple tons bigger is frightening to imagine.

Ever seen the video of the pilot whale grabbing the snorkeler and dragging her down, while the other whales watched? THAT'S CREEPY.

KimLeece:
There has to be some kind of DIR approved method.........

But tooth on grill, or tooth on arm - that's OK.

Maybe a cetacea coil lanyard or something....

Me so funny. :rolleyes:

K

archman:
...Ever seen the video of the pilot whale grabbing the snorkeler and dragging her down, while the other whales* watched? THAT'S CREEPY.

*Maybe the co-pilot whales....?

Me still so funny. :rolleyes:

K

Mo2vation, you are such a icky bad moderator. You have taken Otter's shabby grammar and user name and now look where you have gotten us? Co-Pilot whales? Ack!

Oh the humanity. Thank the heavens I have good grammar. Nobody's attaching an otter to me, even if it's DIR-approved or with a cetacea coiled lanyard!

Back
Top Bottom