Orca Torch D611

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Got my torch today and I have to say first impression is that the quality seems good. Look like a well made little canister light and I'm eager to get it in the water and check it out on the wreck this weekend, permitting we're going.
Torch was nicely packed in a case with charger and batteries included. Now that it's assembled with goodman handle and bold snap don't think the case will be used much unless the inner is modified slightly.
Claim 2400 lumen, wouldn't know but does throw a nice bright beam, think it'll do the trick.
Will give more feedback with some pics hopefully after I've dived with it.

IMG_0380.JPG
IMG_0379.JPG
IMG_0378.JPG

I have been eyeing that light myself. But, the Goodman handle they ship with the D620 looks so much nicer, I am holding out until they (or someone else) change the kit to include the handle that comes with the D620.

I don't want the 620 because the beam is too wide at 14 degrees and I don't like the 620's short, fat canister. The 8 degree beam on the 611 seems preferable. And the longer, slim canister of the 611 is definitely preferable (to me).

Looking forward to seeing your report on how the light actually works in the water.

I have been eyeing that light myself. But, the Goodman handle they ship with the D620 looks so much nicer, I am holding out until they (or someone else) change the kit to include the handle that comes with the D620.

I don't want the 620 because the beam is too wide at 14 degrees and I don't like the 620's short, fat canister. The 8 degree beam on the 611 seems preferable. And the longer, slim canister of the 611 is definitely preferable (to me).

Looking forward to seeing your report on how the light actually works in the water.
Hey man, thank you for your concern about OrcaTorch dive light.But there is wrong something about the beam angle of OrcaTorch D620. Through last our chat, we found our website made a wrong information about it, actually the beam angle of D620 is the same as D611. And we have made modification about it. OrcaTorch D620 scuba diving canister light Many thanks for your suggestion. Good luck.

Expecting to see your report on how OrcaTorch D611 dive light actually works in the water. And welcome to make suggestions about D611, we are happy to adopt.

Did my first dives with the torch yesterday, and I have to say I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome. Here is my personal opinion and experience over the two dives:

As stated my main objective is recreation and wreck diving and we were along the sides of a wreck yesterday. I had the standard batteries in that came with the torch, and they lasted a 40 and 45 minute dives (actual burn time in the region of 30 - 35 min on each), could not visually see a reduction.

Clear bright light and a good concentrated beam. If long range light penetration is what your after, sorry, this torch easily give you 5 - 7 meters but conditions permitting I don't think you get much more light penetration than that.

The battery canister holds 2 x 26650 batteries and I like the short slim battery case, it fitted nicely on the webbing and I hardly ever felt it during the dives, comfortable. I think this will be really goof for smaller divers as well. Being 6'2" there was more than enough cord, canister fitted on my right side and torch held in my left, plenty of cord with some to spare. Never had the cord being "heavy" feeling either.

For the head, it is nice and small, smaller in dimension then the Div10 (compared it to my friends unit) and what we found is that the Brinyte has 3 single LED's whereas the Orca seems to have 4 smaller LED's clustered together allowing fir the reduction in size.

The Goodman handle is fine, but I personally would prefer a soft handle. Looking at the top section it seems possible to improvise with some rip-stop material or similar, will look into it.
In all for my intent and purpose, I'm happy and as I say I'm a big man but think this will be well suited to a smaller person or ladies in particular.

Here are some snapshots from video just to give an indication.

Div vs Orca.jpg

light3.jpg

light4.jpg

light5.jpg

Thanks a lot for your report on how OrcaTorch D611 dive light actually works in the water. Cool pictures. And do you have some videos about D611 dive light?

And so the honeymoon came to and end after 8 months and about 40 - 45 dives with the light. Switched it on at 25m yesterday in 26C water temp and it emitted a strange orange color light, really weak and actually surpriced me to say the least cause I've tested it on the surface as I always do during the pre-dive checks and it worked fine, surface temp 34C. Same supplied batteries as always charged with the same supplied charger the night before. The led itself has actually discolored as well, not yellow anymore but a brownish color. Anyhow so much for the light then, will need to find another.
Don't know what caused this, if there is an answer please share I'd like to know. All I can think of is internal heat, but then it must have been from a buildup on the surface, however I was down at 25m for about 10 min before I switched it on so that alone should have cooled it down sufficiently enough imo.

Did you ever get the light fixed? Were you able to replace the bulb? How much did it cost? What did OrcaTorch say when you contacted them?

Back
Top Bottom