OrcaTorch D620 vs. Brynite Div10 vs. Archon DH30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I went ahead and ordered the D620 and it arrived the other day. I was convinced to go for it for the goodman handle and single emitter design (hoping for a tighter spot).

I haven't gotten it wet yet, but here are the initial observations:
  1. Batteries are 3400 mAh 18650s (orcatorch branded)
  2. Charger is a 4-bay HXY-H4 that can charge at 0.5 A or 1.0 A
  3. Goodman handle is pretty nice, handle is easy to adjust and feels very solid
  4. Switch on the lighthead is nice, simple operation, goes from full, mid, low, off so multiple presses are required
  5. canister is a nice diameter, but short... I might need something longer on my belt to tuck the hose
  6. lighthead feels solid, brightness seems good, but I didn't compare it to any other lights.

Well, I went ahead and ordered the D620 and it arrived the other day. I was convinced to go for it for the goodman handle and single emitter design (hoping for a tighter spot).

I haven't gotten it wet yet, but here are the initial observations:
  1. Batteries are 3400 mAh 18650s (orcatorch branded)
  2. Charger is a 4-bay HXY-H4 that can charge at 0.5 A or 1.0 A
  3. Goodman handle is pretty nice, handle is easy to adjust and feels very solid
  4. Switch on the lighthead is nice, simple operation, goes from full, mid, low, off so multiple presses are required
  5. canister is a nice diameter, but short... I might need something longer on my belt to tuck the hose
  6. lighthead feels solid, brightness seems good, but I didn't compare it to any other lights.
Intrigued to hear your thoughts after a few dives with it wwunder. I was also wondering how I would be able to extend the canister if I went down this route.

I recently received the Orcatorch for the purpose of writing a review. Unfortunately, I will not be able to dive with it for a few weeks, but once I start, I will be giving it a very good workout in some very dark and dusty places. I will write a thorough review after that. For now, here are some initial impressions, which are very similar to wwunder's.

The Goodman handle is very solid, and it folds up in a way that makes it easy to store. The goodman handles I have used in the past have not been like that at all. The screws work loose in time, so you cannot maintain the size you want. With the light I have been using recently, I actually had to put it together with zip ties once when a screw came completely out, and I actually found I preferred the zip ties to the screws that were always coming loose. I finally put in bigger self-tapping screws. I can't see how anything like that can happen with the Orca.

It comes with a nice hard case that should protect it from the damage during transport. Since the handle folds up over the light face, it is easier to store, and the handle helps further protect the light face.

The canister is actually tiny compared to what I have used in the past, but that is generally true of all dive lights. Battery technology has decreased that size considerably. I agree with wwunder that there is a downside to this--the bottom will not protrude below the waist belt enough to hold a long hose in place. I am not sure what I am going to do about that yet. I have a knife that I slip on my belt when I am not using a canister light--I may add that.

I like the three different light levels, which are advertised to make a huge difference in battery time. It says it will last 2.5 hours at its highest level (2,600 lumens) and nearly 9 hours at its medium level (800 lumens). My old light advertises 1,250 Lumens, and when I first got it about 5 years ago, I was thrilled with how it lit up a big cave. I imagine I won't feel the need for those 2,600 lumens all that much. I even feel that in many cases, I don't want to have too much light. If I were doing an open water night dive, for example, I would probably prefer the lowest setting (150 lumens).

The directions really emphasize using the locking system on the light head during the dive so that you don't accidentally go from one setting to another. I am not sure why that is so important, but if so, there could be a problem. The switch is not large, and switching it in and out of the locked position may require dexterity that is hard to find in thick wet gloves or dry gloves. I mentioned this, and they said they will be addressing this concern in future design changes.

Back
Top Bottom