Ordering dive equipment overseas, experiences with customs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have a friend with an APO/FPO? If so it can be shipped via usps if the dealer will do that.

And is it new or used? If it's been wet I'd call is used and worth half or less of it's original value. Just saying.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Hey there,

I know this thread is a few day day's old however, I've ordered a fair bit of stuff from the states and had it posted here in thailand. There has never seemed to be a consistant figure on the amount of tax that is calculated.

The most i have ever paid is 17%, that was 10% for sporting goods and 7%VAT. The postage costs of $168usd was taxed at 10% as well. Still even with the tax and postage I got a great deal from Dive Right in Scuba (Ill mention the name cos they were great guys!).

Another thing, same of the parcels had been opened and had 'customs inspected' tape sealing them up again, also it no use arguing with the guys at the post office about the items value or if it's second hand etc. etc. It is customs that checks the stuff and decides the tax you pay and that is done somewhere else in Thailand, the post office cant release the items without the money being paid.

Small boxes have come through with a little paper sticker saying 'small parcel' and have no charge attached. I wonder what would hapen if i had a $1500 dive computer in the box?

Thanks Sam, thanks for taking the time to answer in this thread, unfortunately I'm aware of the things that you mentioned.

For good measure, it seems that I found a solution without having to ship the materials to Thailand.

Back
Top Bottom