Oregon woman dies in Washington diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....If nothing else, I think this should be one of the first things instructors do after completing the checkout dives so that newly certified divers can truly experience the value of proper weighting. Experience makes all the difference in the world.

Yes. I agree 100%.

I'm not an instructor, and I'm only making observations based on my relatively limited experience.

And honestly, the concept of proper weighting (at least as I remember it and still apply it) was slighlty different when I did my OW. We did not have BC's, only safety vests, so we were weighted "lighter" than is common now. So what I might consider "proper" weighting may actually be lighter than others prefer or consider correct.

But even with my old guy "bias", I think a lot of divers are ending up dangerously heavy on many of their first dives after OW.... and these first several dives are when they are most likely to have a problem on the surface.

Being over-weighted just increases the severity of any situation on the surface, and increases the probability of panic and total loss of control over the situation.

Best wishes.

Wayne, the key word is "adequately" trained which by definition means no funerals. I' be hard pressed to style a 20 ft recovery of an unconscious diver as "heroics"

You are right Thal "adequately trained" was key to your statement.
I apologize for coming off like a turd
I meant to be brief not biting.

IMO based on what the newspapers have published *add salt here* For what ever reason one or both of these divers did not and/or could not perform some of the basic open water skill sets. Later inabilities could easily be attributed to panic/over the top levels of stress.

Remember. It said "began" the ascent with 400psi we don't know how much he had "on" the surface. IMVHO the factors that led to the circumstance speak for themselves in answer to the implication he should have went to get her.

I do agree also Thal, a properly trained diver, I would add "with an adequate frame of mind" and properly equipped should be able to do as you suggest and be able to freedive to 20' and release a weight system. Providing the victim is unconscious or not moving. However being underwater with such a finite amount of gas, coupled with the fact that it is a rescue... that, I would classify as 'heroic'.

Sooo.... what are the lessons? What should we as divers and dive instructors do to prevent this mishap from repeating itself?

Bear in mind that if this is not the most common non-health-related scenario that ends in diver death, it's certainly one of the top three. "Diver ran out of gas, surfaced, had trouble, then sank and drowned" is repeated over and over and over and over in each year's mishaps. It is the "pilot continued VFR flight into IFR weather conditions, then crashed" of diving.

Lesson #1: If you don't know how much gas you have, you may run out.

- Recommendation 1.a: As a diver - plan to leave the bottom with enough gas to get safely to the surface with some extra to handle problems. For that extra, the standard recreational "500psi" reserve is adequate in most cases; it certainly would have been in this mishap. This means you actually have to do enough gas planning to settle on a number. Whether you use a rule of thumb (500+100psi/10 FSW, for example), actually run the numbers based on your consumption rate, or something in between doesn't matter nearly as much as doing it in the first place, making it a mandatory part of your pre-dive planning and saying it out loud to your buddy and getting an acknowledgment. "We'll start our ascent at no less than 700 psi" puts gas management on the brain before the dive begins and increases the probability that you'll actually do it under water.

- Recommendation 1.b: As a diver - monitor your gas supply throughout the dive with enough frequency to make sure you don't lose track of how much you've got. As a newbie this may mean clipping your gas gauge in front of you so that it's right there in your peripheral vision and you glance at it two or three times a minute; as you gain experience and confidence in your consumption rate you may be able to decrease the frequency considerably. However, regardless of how often you check the gauge, gas supply awareness must be constant. If you are ever surprised at what your gas gauge says you need to change the way you monitor it so that your perception of how much gas you have at any given moment is accurate enough to assure a safe ascent at no less than the planned ascent pressure.

- Recommendation 1.c: Know how much gas your buddy has at all times. Whether you ask your buddy for a gas check or just check it yourself, you should know your buddy's gas status - again, how you accomplish this is not nearly as important as doing it.

- Recommendation 1.d: As instructors - teach gas planning and management. Under water, from pool 1 on, ask every student what their gas supply is at least every 15 minutes. Teach consumption rate (doesn't matter whether you teach SAC, SCR, RMV or XYZ, just teach consumption rate). Teach buddy gas supply awareness. Have your divers tell you not only their own gas supply but their buddy's as well during (15 minute) checks.

Lesson #2: If you can't get positively buoyant on the surface you may not be able to stay there.

Recommendation 2.a: As a diver - practice establishing positive buoyancy every time you (intentionally) surface. Practice doing it by inflating your BC normally; by inflating your BC manually; by dropping your weights (or removing them before exiting - hand 'em up to the deck-hand, put them in the boat, put 'em back on, whatever - the idea is to practice getting rid of them). Make absolutely sure that the habit of establishing positive buoyancy is automatic for you. As part of this practice make sure weights can be ditched at will and without difficulty even with a fully inflated BC.

Recommendation 2.b: As a dive buddy - Be able to jettison your buddy's weight. Be able to inflate your buddy's BC, normally and manually. Practice being a float for your buddy... sometimes the best thing you can do for a buddy in distress on the surface is to just get as buoyant as possible and let him/her climb up on top of you while they sort things out. After all, you've got plenty of gas for the job, right?

Recommendation 2.c: As an instructor - Teach "positive buoyancy on the surface" from pool 1. Teach buddy skills at establishing positive buoyancy. Any time a student surfaces and delays even a second establishing positive buoyancy, drill it into them. You cannot say "inflate your BC" too many times.

There are "tangential" lessons from a rescue perspective as well, especially considering cold water and dry suits and diving after a sinking diver, but the two essential lessons above are the ones that are common to far too many mishaps, and this one. They are the two that, if we take them to heart and drill them into every diver, we can have a real impact and drive down the number of fatal diving mishaps, and quickly.

Rick

Beautiful post, Rick. All of these accidents are tragic, and the only value we can get from them is if we can identify lessons for others to learn, to prevent them from happening again.

can you take the Rescue Training Course right after o/w or do you have to take orthers befor

can you take the Rescue Training Course right after o/w or do you have to take orthers befor

It depends on the agency ... NAUI allows you to take Rescue anytime after OW certification. PADI requires AOW first. I'm not certain about other agencies ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It depends on the agency ... NAUI allows you to take Rescue anytime after OW certification. PADI requires AOW first. I'm not certain about other agencies ...

A PADI Course Director recently told me that it was his understanding that this will change soon, so OW students should be able to go directly to Rescue Diver without AOW before too long.

Sooo.... what are the lessons? What should we as divers and dive instructors do to prevent this mishap from repeating itself?

There may be more.

This was not discussed much in either thread, but as I understand it, the divers were distracted by their observations of an octopus while at a depth of 100 feet. It is conceivable that they had at least a good idea of their SAC rate and had a decent plan going into the dive, only to blow it in their fascination with nature.

If so, a contributing factor could have been narcosis. In other threads about narcosis, I have related a personal story in which I felt perfectly fine but realized I was having a lot of trouble making what should have been a perfectly simple decision. I was at 100 feet then. A little narcosis can easily turn interest in an octopus into a plan-obliterating obsession.

I believe this needs to be stressed in training as well.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

PADI did make slight amendment lately here's where it is now;

To qualify for PADI Rescue Diver certification, student divers must
hold, as a minimum, a PADI Adventure Diver certification (with
Underwater Navigation Adventure Dive) or have a qualifying certification​
from another training organization.

There may be more.

This was not discussed much in either thread, but as I understand it, the divers were distracted by their observations of an octopus while at a depth of 100 feet. It is conceivable that they had at least a good idea of their SAC rate and had a decent plan going into the dive, only to blow it in their fascination with nature.

If so, a contributing factor could have been narcosis. In other threads about narcosis, I have related a personal story in which I felt perfectly fine but realized I was having a lot of trouble making what should have been a perfectly simple decision. I was at 100 feet then. A little narcosis can easily turn interest in an octopus into a plan-obliterating obsession.

I believe this needs to be stressed in training as well.

I know I'm not supposed to ever solve a skills problem with a gear solution.

But all these OOAs on 100 foot dives are on Al80s. An 0.80 SAC rate (newbie diver) at 100 feet for 20 minutes nearly drains an Al80. With an HP130 there's another 60+ cu ft of gas left after such a deep profile, while an Al80 only gives you about 10 cu ft for the ascent. It takes some talent to run out an HP130 on a recreational profile.

With more gas you have more room to be stupid clueless newbie divers and survive (and I say that as a stupid, clueless newbie tech diver, who likes to have adequate gas padding so if I mess up I'll still survive).

I've got the same feelings about Wing size as well. My 40# single wing probably has 10-20# more lift than I strictly need, but probably saved me from drowning due to at least one really dumb weighting mistake around dive #20.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom