Organizing an event in Utila...doable for a straight up novice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robertcrockett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm headed back to Utila in June and would love to organize some sort of dive related event to raise awareness about Malignant Melanoma and the dangers of skin cancer. Maybe get some sponsors (sunscreen companies, dive skin manufacturers etc...) involved. Heavy in diver participation of course. Any suggestions? It's just a thought, my sister is terminal from the disease and loved Honduras. She was never in Utila but she traveled the mainland 5-6 times a year. I don't know...maybe it's a foolish thought. Please tell me if you think so ...I won't be offended. All I know is it's an under the radar killing disease and us "water" people get a lot of negative sun exposure. What do you think? Is it logistically crazy? Suggestions?

I think it would be a great idea especially when that could be coupled with the promotion of reef friendly sun blocks.

There is the Utila Dive Festival in August - I wonder if you could get something involved with that Utila Dive Festival 2012

Have you spoken with sun block companies? Perhaps they can get involved and send some bottles for sale (or even some free samples) to the festival.

Thanks for the response Rob!... I'm going to try to get in touch with some of the reef safe sunscreen companies like Mexitan and see if they would be interested in supporting the event in anyway...freebies, banners, prizes, shirts...whatev. Same with some wetsuit/dive skin manufacturers. You would think they would love it....the more awareness and support garnered...the more product they sell. I would love to do this during the Dive Utila festival ...not sure I can though. I was planning on being on the rock during June and July so I'm a month early....I may be able to move some dates but even if it happened in July perhaps it could start an annual chain of smaller events that lead up to the festival!

It's a great idea Robert. If you can get some banners and prizes we could distribute through the Festival week in August on your behalf, and raise awareness, even if you're not around for that period, though would be great to have you involved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom