Orientation of first stage manifold.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It looks like you have the reg attached backwards. If the reg is hitting your head then move the tank down a little. That shouldn't be an issue for trim but if necessary you can move some other weight up to balance it out.

On a ScubaPro Mk20 / Mk25 type first stage, angle it pointing down and slightly to the right. Long hose comes off the bottom end LP port and runs down along the right side of the wing. Backup (necklace) hose comes from the right forward LP port straight over your right shoulder. SPG hose comes off the left HP port. Wing and (if necessary) drysuit inflator hoses come off the left LP ports. If you run an AI transmitter from the right HP port then tie it down to something so that it's not flopping around.
Thanks Nick, this is a good idea around the angle of the first stage. I did try to go long hose but I just found it really annoying coming out of a traditional recreational setup. I guess if I was going into more technical diving that involved caves, and Rex, where I may need to Push my gear through ahead. I might be tempted but for all of that wrapping and headache I’m not sure on that committed at this point. I’ve got a dive planned this weekend so I’ll jump back here with some feedback around the set up as it is. I know that it works on my other BCD, but I just want to try it on this back plate and wing.

Thanks for the reply, yes it is an apex wing and backplate, but the wing is the £18 which is very narrow but quite long. Without a single take it after there is only one way to orientate the wing in the back plate otherwise the tank straps won’t pass through both.. If you’re referring to the white rope, I don’t use that as a safety feature I use that to get the correct height because the grip lock straps open completely so without something to hang on the tank it’s actually quite awkward to do up the straps.
Yea that is the annoying part about those straps but they do work well for adjusting to different size tanks.

I agree that having a STA will help and get that plate higher and will also help with trim issues. If your legs are hitting a tank though look for shorter tanks. That is why I hate 120s.. Too long for anyone under 6 ft. Even Al 80s are too long for a lot of divers.

You will also have to be careful laying the tank on the harness. Make sure the backplate is not sitting on the guage and any plastic bits during rough transport.

Thanks Nick, this is a good idea around the angle of the first stage. I did try to go long hose but I just found it really annoying coming out of a traditional recreational setup. I guess if I was going into more technical diving that involved caves, and Rex, where I may need to Push my gear through ahead. I might be tempted but for all of that wrapping and headache I’m not sure on that committed at this point.
It shouldn't be annoying or a headache if you have the gear set up correctly. The long hose only wraps once around your body. But this stuff can't be taught on ScubaBoard. If you're interested in going this route, then you should really have a qualified instructor get you squared away in something like a GUE Fundamentals course.

Technical and cave divers generally don't take off backmount rigs to push through a restriction. That's more of a sidemount (or even "no mount") thing, which is completely different.

Yea that is the annoying part about those straps but they do work well for adjusting to different size tanks.

I agree that having a STA will help and get that plate higher and will also help with trim issues. If your legs are hitting a tank though look for shorter tanks. That is why I hate 120s.. Too long for anyone under 6 ft. Even Al 80s are too long for a lot of divers.

You will also have to be careful laying the tank on the harness. Make sure the backplate is not sitting on the guage and any plastic bits during rough transport.
I’m very fortunate to be running a dive resort, so my gear just stays in the drying room and a quick quick onto the boat where we have racks. I don’t have much choice for tanks, we use 11 and 13 litre aluminiums, a little bit long from my body, but once I get the right height, it’s going to be a dream set up

It shouldn't be annoying or a headache if you have the gear set up correctly. The long hose only wraps once around your body. But this stuff can't be taught on ScubaBoard. If you're interested in going this route, then you should really have a qualified instructor get you squared away in something like a GUE Fundamentals course.

Technical and cave divers generally don't take off backmount rigs to push through a restriction. That's more of a sidemount (or even "no mount") thing, which is completely different.
When I first received the backplate and wing I also installed the full long hose set up as per my hundred hours of YouTube research ha ha. I think I changed too many things at once coming from a traditional set up and jacket BCD. Once I get the BPW all squared away, I will definitely try the long hose again because I believe in the benefits of this set up.

The hose connection is at risk should you smack it on a swim through.

I’m very fortunate to be running a dive resort, so my gear just stays in the drying room and a quick quick onto the boat where we have racks. I don’t have much choice for tanks, we use 11 and 13 litre aluminiums, a little bit long from my body, but once I get the right height, it’s going to be a dream set up
Well it looks like you have made the best of a bad situation.

I still do think you need to covince the dive op to invest in some shorter tanks. I think you and the shorter/ smaller divers would really appreciate it. Here in the US almost all dives shops will carry a few AL63s ( I think those are 9L alumnums overseas.)

Well it looks like you have made the best of a bad situation. I still do think you need to covince the dive op to invest in some shorter tanks. I think you and the shorter/ smaller divers would really appreciate it. Here in the US almost all dives shops will carry a few AL63s ( I think those are 9L alumnums overseas.)
Well it looks like you have made the best of a bad situation.

I still do think you need to covince the dive op to invest in some shorter tanks. I think you and the shorter/ smaller divers would really appreciate it. Here in the US almost all dives shops will carry a few AL63s ( I think those are 9L alumnums overseas.)
Sadly, I am a total air pig. I need a 13 L tank for our regular dives here. Anything below 25 m and I’m cutting the dive short on an 11 litre tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom