Oriskany ("O" Boat) update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebomb:
How big is it? How deep will it be sunk. How far out? And being a newbie, how is the vis diving at Pensacola?
She's just shy of 900' long, a bit over 90' from keel to flight deck, with the Island rising another 80-90'. Plans are to sink her in about 230' of water about 18 miles off-shore directly in line with the nipple, which will put her just shy of 30 (statute) miles from Pensacola pass, and put the Island less than 50' from the surface, the flight deck around 120'. (Numbers are all approximate)
She'll be a fine dive for everything from beginning open water to advanced tech!
Visibility at that site is generally in the 30-50' range, but it is the Gulf of Mexico - what you see when you get there is what you get! Could be 3', could be 150+'.
I am absolutely drooling.
Rick

yup... will make a nice site. here's a story:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Retired aircraft carrier to be sunk off Pensacola coast

By BILL KACZOR
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

PENSACOLA, Fla. -- The retired aircraft carrier USS Oriskany, a combat veteran of the Korean and Vietnam wars, will be sunk in the Gulf of Mexico off Pensacola's coast this summer to serve as an artificial reef, the Navy announced Monday.

Pensacola, known as the "Cradle of Naval Aviation," was selected from among four sites proposed by five states as the watery grave of what will be the largest vessel deliberately sunk for that purpose in the United States.

It is unlikely to hold the distinction for long because the Navy this summer also will begin taking applications for 24 other ships including three aircraft carriers, the USS Forrestal, USS Independence and USS Constellation, said Patricia Dolan, spokeswoman for the Naval Sea Systems Command. Each displaces more than twice the Oriskany's 27,100 tons.

The 888-foot Oriskany is the first vessel in a new program designed to dispose of obsolete warships by sinking them as a cheaper alternative to the scrap yard.

Escambia County, in the Florida Panhandle, last year won an endorsement from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission in competition with a South Florida group. The Navy will transfer the ship to state ownership.

"This is a quantum leap in terms of fishing and diving and economic opportunities for Northwest Florida," said Escambia marine resources director Bob Turpin. The ship also will serve as an underwater military memorial.

South Carolina and Georgia proposed a joint site in the Atlantic Ocean off their shared border, while Texas and Mississippi submitted individual applications.

Florida's selection received an enthusiastic response from retired Chief Petty Officer Lee Puglia. He is secretary-treasurer of the Oriskany Reunion Association, which campaigned hard for Pensacola because of its key role in the founding of naval aviation and as a pilot training base.

"It's going to make a lot of people happy," Puglia said from his home in Hooksett, N.H. "There is a lot of emotion associated with this ship."

Much of it stems from a magazine fire that killed 44 crew members off the coast of Vietnam in 1966 and the pilots, many Pensacola-trained, who were lost in combat.

The Oriskany's former crew members include Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., who was shot down and taken prisoner in North Vietnam after taking off from the ship in 1967. It was just three months after he narrowly avoided death aboard the Forrestal in another fire that began when an errant missile hit his plane on the flight deck.

No date has been set for the sinking with controlled charges in 212 feet of water 22 miles southeast of Pensacola. The Oriskany will be towed from Corpus Christi, Texas, where it is being cleaned of potential pollutants.

Other being made available for sinking include five guided missile cruisers, two frigates, eight destroyers, three guided missile destroyers, a landing ship dock, a supply vessel and a patrol boat.

The Forrestal is now at Newport, R.I., and the Independence and Constellation are at Bremerton, Wash. The other vessels are at Bremerton; Philadelphia; Benecia, Calif.; and Panama City.

More ships are expected to be added to the list as they become available, Dolan said.

Congress created the Navy's artificial reef program last year as part of the annual National Defense Authorization Act. Until then, only the U.S. Martime Administration, which is assisting the Navy with its program, had the authority to transfer obsolete vessels for artificial reefs.

Retired Carrier to Be Sunk Off Florida

By BILL KACZOR
.c The Associated Press

PENSACOLA, Fla. (AP) - The retired aircraft carrier USS Oriskany will be sunk off the Florida coast this summer to serve as an artificial reef, the Navy announced Monday.

The 888-foot Oriskany is the first vessel in a new program designed to dispose of obsolete warships by sinking them as a cheaper alternative to the scrap yard. The ship also will serve as an underwater military memorial.

``It's going to make a lot of people happy. There is a lot of emotion associated with this ship,'' said Lee Puglia of the Oriskany Reunion Association, which campaigned hard for the site near Pensacola because of the ship's role as a pilot-training base.

Much of the emotion stems from a magazine fire that killed 44 crew members off the coast of Vietnam in 1966. Some of the ship's pilots were also lost in combat.

The Oriskany's former crew members include Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., who was shot down and taken prisoner in North Vietnam after taking off from the ship in 1967.

The sinking will make the Oriskany the largest vessel in the United States deliberately sunk to create a reef. But it is unlikely to hold that distinction for long. The military will soon begin reviewing places to sink 24 other ships, including three aircraft carriers, Navy spokeswoman Patricia Dolan said.

No date has been set for the sinking in 212 feet of water 22 miles southeast of Pensacola.

...as we are most definitely assured of a larger (and twice the displacement) Forrestal-class carrier now. Just have to wait a bit longer. I figure South Florida will get one too, and the third ship is anyone's guess.

I found this on the D2D board

Retired aircraft carrier to be sunk off Pensacola coast

The Associated Press
Posted April 5 2004, 4:14 PM EDT

PENSACOLA -- The retired aircraft carrier USS Oriskany, a combat veteran of the Korean and Vietnam wars, will be sunk in the Gulf of Mexico off Pensacola's coast to serve as an artificial reef, the Navy announced Monday.

Pensacola, known as the "Cradle of Naval Aviation," was selected from among four sites proposed by five states as the watery grave of what will be the largest vessel deliberately sunk for that purpose in the United States.

"This is a quantum leap in terms of fishing and diving and economic opportunities for Northwest Florida,'' said Escambia County marine resources director Bob Turpin. The 888-foot Oriskany is the first vessel in a new program designed to rid the Navy of obsolete warships by sinking them as a cheaper alternative to the scrap yard. Escambia, in the Florida Panhandle, last year won an endorsement from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission in competition with a South Florida group.

South Carolina and Georgia proposed a joint site in the Atlantic Ocean off their shared border, while Texas and Mississippi submitted individual applications.

212' would put the top of the mast at 42', isn't this a no-no? I thought any vessel sunk had to be at least 50' down so as to not pose a hazaard to shipping traffic. I'm thinking the 80'-90' mast is a bit on the high side too, a lot of that height was radar and radio antennas wasn't it? I think a more realistic number would be 50' putting the top of the mast at 72' the flight deck at 122'. Still can't wait for the sinking. Was hoping the original sinking deadline would remain on track (September) because it would've made one great birthday present (October). Here's the link to the CNN story about the Mighty O: http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/04/05/carrier.sinking.ap/

I read the full article, and it seems like there will be opportunities for other ships in the future. Might not be as big as the USS Oriskany, but there is bound to be other big ships, and surely Florida couldn't get all of them.

I would've drove to Texas to dive her, but come on, we all knew where it would end up. Too many big names backing her to be in P'cola. Besides, come to P'cola, go to the museum and see the pieces they took off of her specifically for the museum.

I took my family to the naval air museum in P'cola about 5 years ago. We had a great time - it's a really cool place. I've got to go back and do the oriskany now :D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom