OT Laser Eye Surgery?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry Horne

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Help Guys,

I posted this last night and so far no replys, see link below. Can anyone tell me how you manage the need for reading glasses.

I'm considering having the laser surgery to correct my distance vision but will need reading glasses or cheaters as we call them to read anything within arms reach. I need to know what is best for the need to read my guages etc. I know the water will magnify some but not sure how much.

Basics:

42 year old male
20/400 currently in both eyes
good candidate for laser (per Dr.)
cheaters would be in +1.50 range.

Also, bought a boat and this is the real reason for the surgery. Cannot operate it wet.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dan-divers-alert-network/226104-ot-laser-eye-surgery.html

Any input as to whether or not the stick on magnification discs work or do you do the lense in the mask?

Thanks all.

Lar

Had the Lasik surgery on both eyes day after Thanksgiving last year. Haven't worn glasses since for anything. If I have to look at something within 2-10 inches I need the cheaters +1, but so far they are just gathering dust on my nightstand. I dove for 13 years with contacts previously. Since, I can see my gauges just fine at 12-15 inches away and everything else is in focus. Wish I had done it sooner. 49YOA, Instructor, 150 dives a year with another 30 sessions in the pool for classes.

You may not need anything since water can be a natural magnifying lense. I think there are lenses that can be stuck on the insie of your mask. I thought I saw something like that once. I'm sure there are a lot of people in your position and there's gotta be a way to overcome it.

One option is strong eye/weak eye split vision surgery, that can give you decent distance and reading vision. ( I wear my contacts that way and know people that have done it with laser)

Be aware that they are currently testing a new form of laser surgery that can correct both near and farsightedness Guide to Presby LASIK (Multifocal LASIK, Bifocal LASIK, or LASIK for Presbyopia) - AllAboutVision.com

Getting traditional laser surgery may preclude you from getting this procedure when/if it becomes available.

Don't underestimate the need for glasses. I was doing my second wreck dive off Gloucester in about 85 ft of water. I was keeping a close eye on air, but to be honest, I couldn't see well enough. I started up at about 600 lbs, but in reality my son and dive buddy told me afterward I had 300 lbs. We carry separate ponies for the octo and he grabbed mine and just shoved it in my face. Well afterward, I was scared and vowed to get inserts in my mask. There are a couple of options. There are the Dive Optix - at various diopters. You wet them, put them in place and let it dry. It works OK, but I lost one within about a month of getting them. I have since had the shop send the mask out and have bifocals glued to the mask. It is great!. I could never deal with contacts (too sensitive eyes) and was not interested in the operation. The mask and glass insert is not cheap - I bought a larger mask and together they were about $280. Less than my progressive lenses cost that I wear at work. I just got back from a great trip to Key Largo - absolutely no problems - great visibility and I was able to do the UW digital photography with no sweat! Think about it.

Bob

I've been diving a SeaVision mask with both my near and far vision Rx in them for 4 years now They are OK, but they are tuned for 20/20 water vision. It is useless on the boat while gearing up. I'd have to gear up with my prescription glasses, store them in my gear bag and walk around like Helen Keller until I was wet.

I'm definitely getting the surgery. My doc is on vacation bu going after the referral next week. I'll use the inserts or a "guage reader" from SeaVision afterwards if all goes well.

Lar

Get multiple consultations. Each LASIK operator gave me _completely_ different opinions on my candidacy for LASIK/PRK. In the end, I chose to buy a TUSA Splendive IV and prescription lenses ($42 + two $30 lenses) via my FSA account. No leaks and regrets.

FWIW a relative of mine had corrective surgery and it's not 100%... I believe her opinion is she regrets it. I think the issue is halos at night, but I'm not sure. She's been back for a number of "fixes."

There are tons of ads on the radio here that tout payment plans and stuff, it sort of reminds me of rent to own style advertisements.

I play with lasers as a hobby and haven't had destructive surgery yet, but am nearsighted a bit (naturally, not from laser accident). Currently trying to sell a big laser to buy more dive gear :) The 1 watt diode lasers coming from China are tempting though... (That is 200 times the power of the legal green laser pointers!!). If you see green "laser drawn" ads for community websites on large buildings around Hampton Roads, then I picked one up :)

Back
Top Bottom