Other rescues...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
or bloopers and bleepers?

Sort of in response to a question in the "Have You Ever Considered the Risk" thread. I thought I'd start another thread rather than take that one too far off topic.

Here, for your reading pleasure (or not) are the accounts of a couple of surface assists. Jump in with your own.

Once we were at Haigh Quarry and watched as a "certified" solo diver spent about an hour trying to figure out how to put his gear together. I say that because he'd get it part way set up, notice something wrong, tear it down, scratch his head some and start over. He finally got in the water with his rig, knelt down and started putting it on. It looked like he was having trouble so I asked my wife to go over and offer to help. He refused the help and almost seemed insulted. By the time my wife got back and sat down again, he had somehow managed to get himself chicken-winged in his bc and plopped over face down in the water. When it became obvious (at least to me) that he wasn't coming up I suggested to my wife that she go pull him out.

She said she thought that he must have a reg in his mouth as long as he had been under and that if not he was surely dead by now. I pointed out that his regs we all dangling in plain view and that he was still moving. She further protested by pointing out that she had already offered help and that he had made it quite clear that he would not be helped. I told her that it was my strong opinion that he would be much more receptive to the idea about now...and that whether that be the case or not he presently seemed unable to say so...one way or the other. My wife finally conceding that as the instructor in charge I generally know best about these sorts of things and pulled him out of the water.

Another solo diver...
I was teaching a rescue class at a local dive park and some guy snuck out solo...that was a no-no. When the DM on duty noticed, she asked me to go out and get him. Did you ever watch that old show "Wild Kingdom"? Marlin would say something like "Jim, go grab that cape buffalo by the tail and bring him over here so the good folks at home can see just how pissed one of those suckers can really get."...and poor Jim would go do it. Well, for some reason they always send me.

I got to his bubbles but before I could descend to meet him, I saw that he was coming up. He hit the surface coughing and choking with his reg half out of his mouth and his head being pulled backwards. His tank was falling off his bc. I grabbed his tank and he finally let the reg drop from his teeth. I should have never let that happen because he was then able to talk.

He insisted that I help him get his tank back on so he could continue his dive. I tried to explain that the park management wanted him out of the water but he would have none of that. He just told me that he was an expert diver and that he would dive as he pleased. This went on for a while and I couldn't help but commented that his way of diving was about the strangest I had ever witnessed as I had never seen anyone hold their tank in place with their teeth before. that wasn't entirely true because I had seen it once before out on Lake Michigan. It hadn't work well that time either but I wasn't sure how he would take the advice so any further thoughts on the matter to myself. About then, one of my DM's came out and asked if I needed help. I said, "Yes thanks. Hold this tank for a minute, please." When my DM took the tank, I made a bee-line back to my own class.

I know that sounds like a dirty trick to play on your own DM but I had my reasons. Having complete faith in his expertise, I thought it would make a perfect demonstration for my class. I supposed that I could do the most service by explaining to the class what was going on and answering any questions that they might have.

All the while, we heard the expert shouting orders to my DM. The DM, having become a bit stressed himself, yells to me "What do you want me to do with him?" I shouted back that he shouldn't concern himself with what I wanted because, clearly, the right thing to do would be to help the diver to shore if he could be put up with for that long. Being a highly trained, thinking DM he quickly shot back "What if I can't put up with him that long?" I explained that I really didn't feel comfortable advising him on that and strongly desired to disassociate myself from the whole unpleasant affair so that I could get back to teaching my class. I did briefly mention that the only thing that really came to mind was to let go of the diver's tank and allow him go back to diving in the way that, he insisted, would please him.

Some part of that exchange apparently prompted the park DM to finally get involved and make some suggestions. I can't really say exactly how it all ended because I did go back to teaching my class and was eye witness to nothing further. My class went well. The park DM has since retired. My former DM moved to LA, became a dive instructor, got his SAG card and now hangs with the rich and famous.

While diving in the keys about 25 years ago we were on the boat with a bunch of basic students about to do their open water dives.The interesting thing was that the "instructor" had a cast on his leg and was going to stay on the boat .We had NO connection to the instructor or students and were there just for our own diving pleasure.In fact the boat owner/operator did not know the instructor or students either.Well needless to say we quickly suited up and entered the water and did our first dive as we were surfacing,after a shallow dive ,some of the students were in the water on the surface.The waves had increased and those in the water were getting slightly concerned we both went back to the boat and watched as the "instructor" started to shout out drills for them to perform at this point we looked at each other and the boat captain who was shocked at what was taking place,I think he thought there was another "dive professional" in the group which there wasn't.Some of the students started to panic so my S/O and myself jumped back into the water,we are both instructors,and started rounding the people up and heading them to the boat.Several were over weighted so my line to them was"drop your weights" which their reply was "NO they are expensive" so I countered with "give me your weight belt I will carry it to the boat" when they turned their weight belt over to me I immediatly dropped it.Needlessly to say we got evryone back safely ,the captain jumped in also. I told the instructor in NO uncertain terms what i thought and so did the captain all the time while some of his students were lamenting about the cost of replacing their weight belts.To save the day on the second dive ,with NO students in the water, we collected the dropped weight belts to the joy of those who has "lost" them and both the captain and us told the students what an idiot their "instructor" was as he sat there.Luckily no one was injured .

Strange story but true.

I'm too much of newbie to have the dubious experience of being around some idiot who needs to be saved from himself.

However, damned near EVERY story I hear about it ends up with the idiot pissed off at his savior(s). Go figure.

They won't say "thanks," so I will. Thank you for everyone who goes out of their way to help another.

You got to love those solo divers that don't know what they are doing :shakehead::lotsalove::rofl3:

I was taking the Rec 2 class from Joe Talavera in Cove 2 at Alki, which is a very sheltered site commonly used for training. We surfaced from a critical skills dive, and were debriefing, when a very young man (teenager, I think) surfaced near us. He said, "I've lost my buddy." We knew a group of other divers were below us, because we were among their bubbles, and we told him, "They're just down there." He repeated, "I've lost my buddy." His voice was toneless and dull, and I looked at him and realized something wasn't right at all. About that time, his face sank under the water (which was somewhat choppy) and he choked. My dive buddy barked at him, "INFLATE YOUR BC!!!!!", and the kid just stared into space and did nothing, and repeated, "I've lost my buddy."

Our instructor immediately realized this kid was in passive panic, and he shut my dive buddy up, and swam over, talking in a very soft voice, being reassuring, and eventually getting in physical contact with the kid. He inflated the BC until the kid was very positive and had his face out of the water.

At that point, OUR instructor descended 20 feet, to tell the instructor for the class of which this kid was a part (an OW class, mind you) that his "missing diver" that he hadn't missed yet, was safely buoyant on the surface.

It made a big impression on me.

I was DM on a large dive boat at Catalina Island one day when a very large (300#) diver jumped in without checking in first. Almost immediately he began turning blue, but not from the cold water. He had accidently packed his wife's BC instead of his own. She wore an extra small woman's BC. I had to haul him up the swim step and when I was finally able to release his not-so-quick release his color began to come back. He told me it was snug when he put it on, but when he began inflating it on the surface it squeezed his lungs. :)
He sat out the rest of the day.

my only diver rescue was passing a dive school and suddenly we had a new member of our group, with about 50bar/700psi in his tank. not that he noticed but when i found he had joined us i looked at his gauges and saw how low he was (we were about 17mtrs/50ft)

i got the others attention (i was a noob and they were trained dm's/and boss btw) and as a group we went up, did the safety stop and at some point the guy was buddy breathing with my boss.

on the surface there was alot of yelling happening. i always remember one voice saying "what am i suppose to do, treat them like sheep" and another voice yelled "yes!"

we yelled out yoohooo - missing someone and i swear its the only time ive ever seen an instructor walk on water as he came over and practically hauled the guy out of the water by the tank valve, yelling at the guy to get up to the carpark and wait for him and he never said a word to us at all

my boss looked at us and started shaking hands, saying good work-well done

i forgot about that until i just read TS&M's post above

I seen one Very arrogant dude on a boat in the keys that wanted to dive solo couldn't stand up because his bungy strap was around the neck of his tank under the valve and reg. Once he fixed that the DM turned on his air before he left the boat. (I have no problem with people that dive solo just Arrogant people)

Diving yesterday at la Jolla Shores with my friend and his 16 yr son. Having a great timeat about 60 ft, checking out the wall, looking at the lobsters, we hit 1000 and start heading back toward shore. We have been shooting "OK"s at each other all along, and as we are coming up to about 40 ft the son shoots a "not so hot" signal. He is swimming downward and pawing for his air release. I hold out my hand and he takes it, trying to stay down and avoid a "Pop up". I dumped the air from my own BC and sat on the bottom, helping him with finding his dump valves.
After a few minutes, I decided that we will be better off discussing the problem at the surface. he was still calm, but unable to correct the problem.I signal "ok-up" and he responds the same. I slowly finned upward, and let his bouyancy take us up, then flared my fins to slow our rise.
On the surface we talked about the situation, and found the dump valves. The BC was new to him, and the dump valves were not in the same position as the other BC that he had used. We then went back down and swam in along the bottomI daresay he spent the rest of the dive in to shore practicing with his dump valves.
This event did not become an emergency because we were able to communicate, he accepted my assistance immediately, and we were at a relatively shallow depth. If we had been deeper a pop up may have been worse. This goes to show that checking dump valve location and operation for your buddy is a good idea, too.

Back
Top Bottom