Other simple questions for Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from a week in Coz, my first time. Cash is king if you want to get out of the immediate San Miguel (downtown) area. Just about everywhere else on the island, extremely few (none I found) places take credit cards. In fact, the ONLY place that I used my card for the entire week was the Pemex gas station. US dollars are accepted everywhere, I had no problems using large bills, but for the best value, use Mexican Pesos. Although post pricing uses the $ symbol, they usually mean Pesos, not American, unless specifically stated. The HSBC banks have ATMs that dispense Pesos from debit and CCs.
Nitrox is available everywhere, but at about 10-12 bucks a tank extra, it seemed like a bit extravigant. I was only doing 2 to 3 dives a day and only to about 90 feet briefly, so my residuals never got too high at all. Of course, use your own judgement. All tanks on the Island it seems are filled by a central filling facility, so the quality is uniform.
If you have an unlocked GSM phone, you can get a local Telcel SIM chip at the main Telcel stores arount the Island. They have fairly cheap rates to the US, much cheaper than US roaming in Mexico. Of course, Skype is free, magic jack and vonage etc, are also good if the bandwith (internet connection) is not overloaded.
Geez, now I'm seriously thinking about going back in June!!

Good info sources:

Cozumel My Cozumel: A Reliable Travel Resource
Cozumel Insider - Cozumel MX - Activities, Accomodations, Trip planning and so much more...

I just got back from a week in Coz, my first time. Cash is king if you want to get out of the immediate San Miguel (downtown) area. Just about everywhere else on the island, extremely few (none I found) places take credit cards. In fact, the ONLY place that I used my card for the entire week was the Pemex gas station. US dollars are accepted everywhere, I had no problems using large bills, but for the best value, use Mexican Pesos. Although post pricing uses the $ symbol, they usually mean Pesos, not American, unless specifically stated. The HSBC banks have ATMs that dispense Pesos from debit and CCs.
Nitrox is available everywhere, but at about 10-12 bucks a tank extra, it seemed like a bit extravigant. I was only doing 2 to 3 dives a day and only to about 90 feet briefly, so my residuals never got too high at all. Of course, use your own judgement. All tanks on the Island it seems are filled by a central filling facility, so the quality is uniform.
If you have an unlocked GSM phone, you can get a local Telcel SIM chip at the main Telcel stores arount the Island. They have fairly cheap rates to the US, much cheaper than US roaming in Mexico. Of course, Skype is free, magic jack and vonage etc, are also good if the bandwith (internet connection) is not overloaded.
Geez, now I'm seriously thinking about going back in June!!

Good info sources:

Cozumel My Cozumel: A Reliable Travel Resource
Cozumel Insider - Cozumel MX - Activities, Accomodations, Trip planning and so much more...

That's alot of great info! Thanks for posting! :)

You're most welcome to join us! At this time there is still space available and I hear airfares have been dropping! :D I'm just saying...

I'm going to the Invasion. Are you?
Jump in with the rest of the crew while space is still available!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom