OTS Guardian FFM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is very tempting it's just that I still need a third mask and locally there aren't any to try before I buy so not sure whether we'd prefer the ocean reef over the OTS or not

Guardian vs the ocean reef is like a Comparing a tool to a toy in my opinion, I've had an aga gen II, an ocean reef, and a guardian in front of me when I had to decide. The aga was a good mask, the guardian was a fantastic mask, the ocean reef while light with a directional vent, and tunable 2nd stage felt like a happy meal toy vs the guardian or aga. The guardian won me over with the snorkel built into the visor stock, the class to service it your self should you choose, and the double seal, and demand style reg. not to mention you dont have to detune the reg in a head down position. It has standard hose routing compared to the aga as well as fittings. Ots is a USA based brand, ocean reef is italian. I have been able to personaly ask the owner at ots in length questions about his products. I absolutely love mine. After trying one the only way I would have gone ocean reef was if the guardian and aga did not fit. These are my personal feelings, I do not work for OTS nor work anywhere that sells them.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask and I'd be glad to help answer them. I'm new on ScubaBoard, but checking it everyday. I will be able and happy to answer all questions related to OTS gear.

We have a lot of training videos here : Videos | Ocean Technology Systems

and our new Buddy Phone D2 Training Video that was just uploaded to website today. It is the first video below Underwater Communications Training. We are in the works of adding new training videos as well.

----

Glad to hear the gear is working for you DragonslayerAZ!

Guardian vs the ocean reef is like a Comparing a tool to a toy in my opinion, I've had an aga gen II, an ocean reef, and a guardian in front of me when I had to decide. The aga was a good mask, the guardian was a fantastic mask, the ocean reef while light with a directional vent, and tunable 2nd stage felt like a happy meal toy vs the guardian or aga. The guardian won me over with the snorkel built into the visor stock, the class to service it your self should you choose, and the double seal, and demand style reg. not to mention you dont have to detune the reg in a head down position. It has standard hose routing compared to the aga as well as fittings. Ots is a USA based brand, ocean reef is italian. I have been able to personaly ask the owner at ots in length questions about his products. I absolutely love mine. After trying one the only way I would have gone ocean reef was if the guardian and aga did not fit. These are my personal feelings, I do not work for OTS nor work anywhere that sells them.

This is pretty much the same opinion I formed when I had both the Guardian and the Ocean Reef in front of me. Have never experienced the Aga.

From what I'm reading in radio specs they are much different frequencies so my third mask would need to either be ots with the buddy phone or an ocean reef and add the buddy phone to make it compatible are your Comms original buddy phone or the buddy phone d2 models? And would you happen to know what size they are Sorry so many questions.
Thanks, Dave

From what I understand channel 1 with a buddyphone will work with the ocean reef coms, however confirm with ots

From what I'm reading in radio specs they are much different frequencies so my third mask would need to either be ots with the buddy phone or an ocean reef and add the buddy phone to make it compatible are your Comms original buddy phone or the buddy phone d2 models? And would you happen to know what size they are Sorry so many questions.
Thanks, Dave

They do have D-2 printed on them. I'll see if I can confirm the compatibility of radios.

---------- Post added February 26th, 2014 at 08:43 PM ----------

Ok, it looks like at least Frequency A on the OTS is the same as the Ocean Reef unit at 32.768 kHz. Here are links to both spec pages.

http://www.oceanreefgroup.com/pdf/docs/doc_comm_system_specs.pdf

Shop | Ocean Technology Systems

Would still like to hear from someone that has actually used them together.

Yes, our OTS comms are compatible with Ocean Reef comms. Channel 1 is common frequency (33khz or 32.768khz to be more specific). As long as you are on the same channel and within range, you you will be able to transmit and receive.

Although we can't guarantee that it would work as well as two OTS comms together, as we don't know what Ocean Reef has changed in their wireless comms and we can't guarantee their range, you shouldn't have an in issue talking back and forth to your dive buddy.

If you have any trouble, let me know and I may be able to help trouble shoot them. Being there in person and advising through the internet is two different things, but if you have any issue let me know and I'll do my best. A vast majority of problems with wireless comms are simple fixes, like mic placement (too far from the mouth), too much ambient noise (squelch needs to be adjusted), or trying to listen during your exhalation cycle (you want to listen during your inhalation cycle, when there is no bubble noise).

Again, make sure that your units are on the same freq, are within range, and additionally, make sure your microphone is no further than an 1/8th inch from the side of your mouth. Our mic is a noise canceling mic (to help eliminate bubble noise, coughing, breathing, grunts etc.), and at a 1/4th inch from your mouth, in you may lose up to 50% of your transmit volume. When the mic is placed properly, you should be able to purse your lips and kiss the mic and talk at a comfortable volume.

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom