Otterbox lost at So. Monastery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattaphore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
*sigh* I lost a small transparent otterbox while diving South Monastery on Saturday (10/22). Inside, there's a small pen and a Volkswagen valet key :)

I was running search pattern drills with a class in the sandy part of So. Monastery, fairly close to shore, and I think it came out of my BCD pocket while taking out my slate. On Sunday (10/23) I surveyed the debris that was washed up on the shore but no luck finding the box...

Lessons learned:
- If I use my BCD pockets, I'm only going to store one item per pocket. I'll use clips brass snaps for the necessary items and I'll try not to be a Christmas Tree Diver.
- Get a non-electronic key and put it on a split ring.

Aww, that's a bummer. I assume the box was positively buoyant? I was skin diving S. Monastery w/ the Basic & Rescue class yesterday and we didn't see anything in or under the kelp. I did find a plastic bag and a soda bottle filled with either tea or something else.......

To prevent this from occurring again I have a few suggestions.
If you have a grommet drain hole you can tie a bungee loop to clip things off to the inside of your pocket. Just tie two knots in the bungee loop on either side of the drain hole. Use double-enders to clip off your items.

Other than that you could also Masterlock a key to the tow hook of your car. Just remember to thoroughly rinse the Masterlock inside and out if you intend to use it again. And don't forget to solder/seal the split ring that's on your key.

*sigh* I lost a small transparent otterbox while diving South Monastery on Saturday (10/22). Inside, there's a small pen and a Volkswagen valet key :)…

Did you have a phone number or some other contact info in the box? I/we forgot a watertite box on the beach full of three sets of Abalone tags, fishing licenses, a credit card, a little cash and a drivers license. By the time we figured it out and drove back to be beach the tide was high and the area we left it was underwater. The next day I got a call from a visiting diver telling me he found it and everything was there (and dry). There are a lot of good souls in the world so don’t lose hope.

…- Get a non-electronic key and put it on a split ring.

Another option if that is difficult to get a key cut for your vehicle is a key lock box. Most vehicles have heavy tie-down eyes just under the bumpers.

Amazon.com: Master Lock 5400D Select Access Key Storage Box with Set-Your-Own Combination Lock, 1-Pack: Home Improvement

Thanks for the tips :) I'll be sure to seal the split ring if I go that route, or I might go with a lock box.

I was dumb and I didn't put any contact info on my otterbox. Usually I store my abalone tags and cert-cards and DAN cards all in there, but right before the dive, I put them all in my glove compartment. Thankfully the spare key, box, and pen were the only things that went missing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom