OUCH, $600 Dive camera LOST - Better Securement Methods?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well dang! sorry to hear about your loss. It's just as bad as flooding it, maybe even worse.

When diving I just hold on to it (if it's not in my hand I feel like I'm missing something), clamped under my arm if I need to do something with both hands. As Gilligan suggests I also have my name and phone number inside. You could even put a business card in there if there is room enough.

I recently lost my camera in Cozumel, I had a clip on it that would connect it straight to my BC, but I have to unclip it to take pictures, otherwise its just on a lanyard on my wrist. I think it slipped off right after I took a picture and I didn't notice it

Just a thought here, maybe everyone should take a moment to do a photo of your home address and phone number, and offer a reward if it is found then returned. You can always keep that photo in there. So when the person who finds it, naturally looks at the pictures, he'll see the info. It might work if the person who finds it is honest. Might be worth the effort. Kinda like a expensive message in a bottle. Sorry to hear about all the cameras lost.

fdog:
The closest I've come to a tether was in the case of a blue-water, bottomless dive...I regreted the tether when it floated into the frame on quite a few otherwise great shots.

How about a length of stainless steel chain as a tether (cuttable loops to wrist/BCD/housing) - that wouldn't float into shot (unless you were upside down).

Just a thought...

K.

Phaethon:
How about a length of stainless steel chain as a tether (cuttable loops to wrist/BCD/housing) - that wouldn't float into shot (unless you were upside down).

Just a thought...

K.

If I ever do a blue-water dive like that again, I might consider a weighed line, good suggestion. I was just paranoid on this particular dive, enough that I took a dedicated safety diver to grab me if I started building up a rate of descent while busy framing, metering and otherwise looking through the camera (since there were no bottom references). He actually stopped me once, so I guess it was a worthwhile precaution.

Most every other dive I'm not worried about dropping the housing, actually now I'm not that worried even in blue water. So I'd still dive tetherless, come to think.

All the best, James

28.gif

fdog you made me think of a fairly inexpensive simple safety device when doing deep water dives where the bottom does not offer a reference:

Mount an extra depth gauge somewhere on your camera setup where it is in view. It won't take up that much space and will be in your face all the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom