Ouestion about resort scuba course.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

High Plains Diver

Registered
Reaction score
Hello: Planning a vacation to Mexico this fall, say Cozumel, anyway, what could my daughter expect from a resort course for scuba diving? She has never used scuba before. I have my c-card, but when she asked me about details , such as how many dives, locations, if I would be with her, I could not give her any details.
I know this is a broad question and I have researched this on the net and talked to travel agents but all I have got so far is the diving is great! Any information would be appreciated!
Thank You.

I got my OW when i went to the domican repubic at some resort i was at. It was great. it took 3 days, started at 12am and was over at 5pm. They provided all the gear and books. i think i did 4-5 dives but my parents couldn't come with me. There was 5 people in my class and the DM was great. Last day you take the padi test.

brent

Depends on where you are going and how much time and money you have. Most "resort" courses (like Sandals Resorts) just give you the basics ( couple of hours at best) and you have to dive with an instructor or group. Once you leave the resort you have to take the course over again or become "certified" thru a national agency. Ask questions ... will you receive a reconized C Card from NAUI, PADI or SSI or is it just a temporary card that only good while you stay at the resort ?

Do you mean a resort course or certification at a resort?

Often you can join a relative on their open water certification dives for these NAUI or PADI resort courses. The resort is usually more that happy to collect a dive fee from you and the student has the confidence that comes from having someone (certified) that they know and trust near them. (It also comforts the mother to know that the father is closely watching the "little people" while they learn.) ;-)

Your best source of information should be the dive centre you are considering using. Only that center will be able to tell you exactly what it offers and what your daughter can expect.

I'd do some research on operators in the area and then start talking to the ones you feel might be the most professional. Ask questions. Even if that operator does not offer resort courses, I'll bet she/he has opinions on who to contact.

If it were my daughter, I would find someone locally who will take the time needed to instruct her properly to be a safe diver. I took my OW on a trip and it was rush, rush, rush. I am interning now with a wonderful instructor who takes the time to ensure the material is understood and the skills are not just done but "mastered."

If you are talking about a full OW certification course, I started this in Cozumel earlier this year and bailed on it. It wasn't for me. It was disorganized, I felt rushed, and I can't learn at that pace. Mostly, I didn't feel it was safe. I also didn't want to spend my entire vacation reading and doing the pool work (I didn't go there with the intent of signing up for the course, it happened after I was there a couple of days). That's just me. And I am no doubt much older than your daughter.

I picked it up again when I returned home and was certified in June. Your daughter may very well love this type of course but it wasn't for me.

If you want more details on the actual resort/shop where I stayed PM me.

If Cozumel is in fact your destinaton, it can be a great place to take either the discover scuba class or OW certification. The discover scuba class which is sometimes called a resort class, is a half day class that includes an equipment orientation, some very basic skills instruction, and a supervised dive from the shore with an instructor. The good dive ops, and there are many, teach this class all the time and for most people it's a great introduction to scuba diving. As far as OW goes, again, there are many excellent instructors on Cozumel, and with a little searching you should be able to find a good OW class for your daughter. I have a friend who took his OW cert there; was basically three fairly long days, and it was a private class, which is not uncommon at the smaller dive ops. The good thing about it is that immediately on completing the class, he was able to dive daily for the rest of the week, which really helps the student solidify the skills learned in the class.

Maybe you should post on the Cozumel forum, or just search it for teacher recommendations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom