Our Diving with The Young Tres Pelicanos in town.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepsea21

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know everyone probably has their fav dive op on the island and have diving with them for years. I only post this for those who may be new to diving Coz or who may be looking for a new dive op for one reason or another. I was very pleased with 3P's as you can tell by my post to Tripadvisor (cut and pasted below). Feel free to aske me anything about this dive op or our stay.

CUT AND PASTED:

My wife and I have been diving Cozumel annually for the past 12 years. When our prior dive operation was sold to new management and changed for the worse, we concluded we needed to find new dive operator. It was a difficult decision to move on but we wanted more for our dive dollar. We researched and decided to give 3P’s a try based on the reviews we read here, the shop's close proximity to the Casa Mexicana (Highly Recommend), the courtesy transportation offered from the dive shop to the boats and back and the shop's willingness to take responsibility for ALL of our dive gear (including wetsuits and boots).

After 11 days and 22 dives what can we report? We are pleased to report 3P’s is delivering an exceptionally high level of service and fantastic dive experiences. Are they the best on the island? We can’t say as we haven’t been diving with all 1000 dive ops oin the island. However, we can say we are no longer looking and have found our new dive operator... Can't wait to return in 2015.

10 points to consider:

1) 3P's age. Don't let 3P’s young 2 years in business spook you. The staff has decades of dive op experience in Cozumel. Ironically, one of the current staff members was formerly with our prior dive operator!

2) Online Service. We initially contacted 3P's through their website with a number of questions. We informed them we were looking for a new dive op and could only commit to 1 day of diving with them. If we were pleased, we'd probably dive the next 10 days with them if availability allowed. We received a response with all questions answered just a few hours later from Jeanie! It was also nice to receive a response the next day from the owner, Steve B., who was aware of what had taken place with our prior dive op and was looking forward to delivering a superior level of service and dive experiences. As it turns out, quite a few divers from our prior operator have found 3P’s and are now diving with them as well.

3) Courtesy transportation. 7:40AM at the dive shop for the courtesy transport to the marina was no problem. Staying at the Casa Mexicana we were a bit concerned about having to be at the shop by 7:40AM as the breakfast buffet at the Casa starts at 7AM and it’s probably the best breakfast on the island. We didn’t want to miss it. Well, every day for 2 weeks the Casa’s buffet was fully stocked and opened at exactly 7AM so we had 35 minutes to enjoy breakfast before our short 5 minute walk around the corner and to the back of the block where 3P’s shop is located. Some divers were also picked up from other hotels and all inclusive resorts that resided between town and the southern marina. It was especially interesting to see divers picked up from some all inclusive where their resort dollars/ credits could have been used for diving with the resort’s operator yet these divers preferred to pay to dive with 3P’s.

4) Trust them with your gear. I am a stickler about our gear. I've never left it in the hands of a dive op (not even our prior op) and I cringe when I place it in the hands of an airline. Quite frankly, I don’t like others even touching it. However, I found a level of comfort with 3P’s and decided we’d give them a chance taking care of it. Well, every day all of our gear was on the boat having been fully rinsed the prior day and, dare I say, almost totally dry! Not a single item was ever missing and we have quite a few items between the two of us. I can tell you it also smelled far better by day 10 than it ever would have if I had been rinsing and hanging it daily. It was such a pleasure to show up at the boat and find all of our gear waiting for us and upon returning from our dives, to walk away from it all and let the staff take care of it. It was like having 2 vacations for the price of one as we were often back to the marina shortly after noon and back at the Casa showering by 1PM! Lots of time to relax & review UW photos taken, kick back by the pool with a cocktail or walk around town. The only decision to be made daily was where to eat dinner! (Steve B. had several recommendations we tried and were delighted with all of them… great food at a fraction of the cost of the well-known’s.

5) Courtesy gear maintenance. When we encountered a couple of minor equipment issues that couldn’t be performed on the boat were informed they would be taken care of by Pony at the shop and our gear would be ready the next day for diving. Pony performed maintenance free of charge and we were pleased to tip him for his services.

6) The primary boat, Skinny Shark. Skinny Shark is set up for a maximum of 10 divers. It should be called FAT SHARK the boat has a nice, wide beam. No fins on top of fins from the diver sitting across from you. The boat is fast and I mean FAST! Powered by a new 300HP Yamaha 4-stroke we left the dive fleet behind every day and were always among the very first on the reefs.

7) The dive sites. Because the boat is still classified as a "small" boat by capacity and is so fast, we enjoyed the best dive sites every day based on dive conditions and regardless of their distance from the marina. If you've been diving Cozumel for a while you know what I mean… There are the sites that save an operator fuel and time and there are the sites the best dive ops with the fast boats will get you to.

8) THE FREEDOM! As others have stated, this a dive op “By Divers for Divers”. Owner Steve B. was diving with us almost every day! 3P’s offers experienced divers the freedom to dive their own profiles, computers and tanks. Divers are only limited by their own computers and and air consumption. 1:00 to 1:20 dive times were the norm! Talk about bottom time and value for your dive dollar! Steve has selected his DM's and captains for their commitment to delivering a level of freedom experienced divers want. No dives ever held deep by the DM to limit bottom time and maximize air consumption… no games played whatsoever. You can go deep and short or shallow and long. WE WERE NEVER SIGNALED IT WAS TIME TO SURFACE AS LONG AS WE HAD SUFFICIENT AIR AND OUR DIVE COMPUTERS INDICATED WE HAD TIME! This level of freedom truly sets 3P’s apart from most and they can do it because they leave early from the southern marina, have FAST boats and have DM's such as Jorge who consumes about as much air during a dive as a tire on my car loses in a year (Thinking of you Jorge) I swear he has gills but, then again, he recently won an Iron Man competition for his age group so I shouldn’t be surprised.

9) Fellow divers with 3P's. Simply stated, a fantastic group of fellow divers. From newer divers to highly experienced technical divers, all were represented. While a dive operation such as 3P's is going to attract more experienced divers by its nature, newer divers should not be afraid to dive with 3P’s and enjoy the same great experience. See #10 below.

10) New divers. If you're new to diving and coming down for your open water cert dives, have only 5, 10, 15 dives logged, or could be new to drift diving, I'd say book 3P's and pay for a personal DM as several did during our trip. You'll see the best sites the other operators won't get you to and for a few bucks you have the comfort of a personal DM until you feel comfortable. For those who may feel there is safety the numbers a cattle boat provides or may be fearful of a smaller boat and smaller group of divers, I would say it’s far better to be newest diver in a small group of experienced divers who all know how to watch out for each other and the group as a whole than one in a group of 20 who plan to dive one day during their trip, parasail the next, swim with dolphins, tour of the ruins, rent a dune buggy, and close out the last day with a massage… Just something to think about.

Overall, an absolutely fantastic dive trip and experience thanks to Owner Steve B., Reservations Jeanie, Shop Manger (and Mr. fix it) Pony, Shop Assistant Willie, DM Jorge (Gill Man) and Boat Captain Chan Fran.Visited December 2014

Our experience in February 2014 mirrored yours. Looking forward to seeing those guys again in a couple months.

Deep-

Great review and well worded. I think it's great that you took the time to pass on the good word. I was introduced to Tres Pelicanos by a diver who had nothing but positive things to say as well.
I'm such a fan of Tres Pelicanos and think so highly of them as individual/divers... and as a dive op... I put them in my sig line. There is a reason I send our shops divers going to Cozumel straight to Tres Pelicano's....I KNOW they will be well treated, and are safe. I'm not an employee of Tres Pelicano's....but if I ever moved to Cozumel I'd sure want to be. Talk about a group that has it together!

BUbs

Looks like we were diving together in January J
Tres Pelicanos is a great operator. Steve has the best people in his team: captain Chan Fran, Jeanie, Willie. And Jorge is one of the best DM’s I’ve dived ever.
No pressure, no rush. Long dives, good intervals.
I don’t think however that it is the best choice for beginners. We did Punta Sur Devil’s Throat, Punta Sur Cathedral, Palancar Bricks. New divers would be safer and have much more fun doing Palancar Garden instead. But yes, we had second DM on these dives and those who did not want to go deep or into overhead environment could stay out.
And if you like big tanks – as I do – you can always order them. Some people see this as advantage of Aldora, LU or Liquid but they don’t realize that they can ask for bigger tanks, Nitrox etc. from Tres Pelicanos as well. I used 100’s which are big enough for me - more than enough to be in deco mode…

And if you like big tanks – as I do – you can always order them. Some people see this as advantage of Aldora, LU or Liquid but they don’t realize that they can ask for bigger tanks, Nitrox etc. from Tres Pelicanos as well. I used 100’s which are big enough for me - more than enough to be in deco mode…

I used 100's all week last year. Lots of divers went into deco mode for short periods of time on a few of the dives you mentioned.

IIRC, 100's was $5 more per tank.

Thanks for all of your responses. It looks like many others have found 3P's and had equally great experiences. It actually makes me worry about ruining a great thing! Maybe I never should have posted that review on Trip Advisor and then pasted it here as well! However, I can't be so selfish. 3P's is a newer dive op on the island and everyone there is working very hard to build as successful of an operation as they can. I'm a fan of hard working folks who take a chance, take a great deal of financial risk, and give all they have to succeed. I saw it when I was diving with them. As such, I'm happy to share my experience and maybe I'll have to book our dives a few months out. No big deal and good for them. There's one thing about 3P's and it reminds me of that old commercial where some national car rental company made their tag line, "We're second so we try harder". That is exactly what 3P's is doing, trying harder and it is working.

---------- Post added February 2nd, 2015 at 07:54 PM ----------

Oh, assuming nothing bad happens to me or my wife, we'll be returning for our 2 weeks in December 2015. We'll probably arrive on Fri, Dec 11th and fly out Fri the 25th X-mas day. As we've learned, if yo uare willing to fly on a weekday and fly back on Xmas day the deals will show up. What kind of deals? Try $388 RT (from Virgina) when weekend departures and Xmas weekend returns would cost us $575+.

---------- Post added February 2nd, 2015 at 08:14 PM ----------

And that is direct to COZ.. not Cancun!

6) The primary boat, Skinny Shark. Skinny Shark is set up for a maximum of 10 divers. It should be called FAT SHARK the boat has a nice, wide beam. No fins on top of fins from the diver sitting across from you. The boat is fast and I mean FAST! Powered by a new 300HP Yamaha 4-stroke we left the dive fleet behind every day and were always among the very first on the reefs.

Thank you for all of the great information. I was wondering if you had 10 people did they have 1 DM or 2?

I dove with them on my last 2 trips & there have been 2 DM's no matter how many divers & on a few 3 DM's. This is assuming Steve the owner is in actual fact a DM but I think he is. It seems that newer divers get an extra eye kept on them or extra help as a basic part of their service.

As a side note I did the same thing this year as the year before & left my camera on the boat on the first day. On the way beck to the hotel when I had realized what I did a young couple seemed very concerned about my loss but I assured them my camera was in good hands & I'd get it back the next day; which I did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom