Our World Underwater OWU 2020 is CANCELLED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Our World Underwater OWU 2020 is CANCELLED

This is way more than us losing a weekend of fun, fellowship, sparkly objects, bad hotdogs, education, cheap plastic crap (CPC) from displayers, and the chance to see Pat Hammer, Karina and a host of other still-stinky SCUBA gods. I met NetDoc, Howard, Muggsy, did some stand-up presentations when I was mistaken for being relevant, honored to introduce Chatterton, Kohler and Cousteau, all that and more.

OWU- First in a school auditorium, then the Hyatt O’hare, REC, then bobbling around, meshed with similar interest group shows, then what looked just great at the hotel in Des Plaines, it looked Iike it had life again.

I sucked my first breath of compressed air in 1959. Guys had compressors in the garage, retail in the basement. (For you Northern Illinois types, recall the first Black Magic LDS). Divers has real pick up trucks, people gathered at tables in the back and smoked and drank while talking about what they were not doing just right now.

There were quite a few shops. Pick up a musty dive magazine, either one, Skin Diver or SCUBA Diver, note all the dive shops that used a 312 area code? There were, over the years, maybe 35 different ones listed. Now, what? Do seven breathe in that (former 312) zone?

Berry SCUBA, the original one. Nationally known for its SDM advertisements, but operated out of a 250 square foot back room.

It was always a “niche” market. I do not believe any entity is to blame for the downfall. People blame LDS, Agencies, Manufacturers, I just see it as people just don’t want this anymore. Vacation in paradise with an occasional Hookah dive or Resort Course. That’ll be it.

It can undeniably be seen as a further brick in the wall.

The OWU web site claims that OWU 2021 is still in the plans. No idea whether it will really happen or is just a hope.

Maybe Patrick Hammer selling his shop to DRIS shows he's stepping back a bit? He's been instrumental in OWU staying alive. A show is a helluva lot of work. I was on the committee for Scubafest in Columbus, Ohio for a few years which was much smaller. I live in Pa. Some of the other people were from Michigan. Not enough locals wanted to put in the work to keep it going. Booking hotels is a pain. Just getting the drapes to divide spaces can be a nightmare. In larger venues, you need to deal with unions.
It's not just rent a hall and let the vendors do their own work from then on. That would be nice but it doesn't happen that way. Local shows don't often also have the support of the local community. Shops in some areas resent out of towners coming in so they decide not to support it. Then complain more when those get more business.
Based on my experience with a small show, unless I were independently wealthy and didn't have to work, I wouldn't get involved in trying to be the head of another one.

Jim Gentile owned it as of last year. And he’s not involved with DRIS at all.

Oops. Sorry just saw Jim Lapenta meant the sale of Scuba Emporium to DRIS. That’s what I get for reading before much caffeine.

Maybe Patrick Hammer selling his shop to DRIS shows he's stepping back a bit? He's been instrumental in OWU staying alive. A show is a helluva lot of work. I was on the committee for Scubafest in Columbus, Ohio for a few years which was much smaller. I live in Pa. Some of the other people were from Michigan. Not enough locals wanted to put in the work to keep it going. Booking hotels is a pain. Just getting the drapes to divide spaces can be a nightmare. In larger venues, you need to deal with unions.
It's not just rent a hall and let the vendors do their own work from then on. That would be nice but it doesn't happen that way. Local shows don't often also have the support of the local community. Shops in some areas resent out of towners coming in so they decide not to support it. Then complain more when those get more business.
Based on my experience with a small show, unless I were independently wealthy and didn't have to work, I wouldn't get involved in trying to be the head of another one.
Jim Gentile bought OWUW from Pat at least two years/shows ago, and perhaps a year or two earlier than that. I lost track. Before that, Jim had been working closely with Pat doing a lot of the work on OWUW, so he was by no means new to the event. I see Jim has retired from running charters and has his boats up for sale, but I also saw him in passing at DEMA this year though didn’t chat long. So, no idea what the scoop is, here’s hoping he can sort it out to his best outcome

Reactions: Doc
Jim Lapenta:
..unless I were independently wealthy and didn't have to work, I wouldn't get involved in trying to be the head of another one.

Is that not also the definition of the LDS dream?

(Sorry, I had to add that.)

Back
Top Bottom