'Out Growing' a Regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockrug

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking to get my first set of gear. In talking to my LDS, pretty much all he carries is higher-end regulators and carries not much on the entry-level and mid-level end. When I asked him why, for example, he does not carry the Oceanic Alpha 8 or GT3, he said that he doesn't want to sell something that I'm going to 'out grow' in a short amount of time. He likened it to buying a car: I don't know the difference as a novice, but after driving for a while, I'll understand the difference between a Chevy and a Porsche. When it comes to regulators, will I really?
To those who have been diving for a while, what does it mean to 'out grow' a regulator? Is there a significant difference between a $300 reg and a $500 reg? Will I even care? I am conflicted between believing that the LDS has my best interests at heart, but also understanding that he's in business and (potentially/probably) wants me to buy more expensive gear than I really may need. Opinions?

Rockrug,

what kind of diving do you want to do local (quarry) diving, tropical waters (mainly holidays)

Regarding myself, I replaced my regs this year due to an increasing number of cold water dives and changing my configuration to be DIR-compliant.

Laurens

BTW, welcome (Scub)aBoard! :happywave

Rockrug,

I hope your LDS was referring to a diver's growth within the types of diving to be done. The requirements of a recreational, warm water diver are quite different from those of a cold water, ice diver when it comes to the demands upon a regulator.

If one takes the LDS's statement to mean growing to a higher demand from a regulator, then, yes, you can "out grow" a regulator.

This is one of the areas in which a new diver needs to make a strong assessment of future diving practices and environments.

If your intentions are to dive occasionally in warm water, then you have no demand from your diving environment for a $1300 Atomic titanium regulator. If, however, you're going to be diving on deep wrecks in the Great Lakes in the middle of the winter, then . . .

There are numerous regulators that satisfy the demands of warm, occasional diving and diving profiles in deeper, colder water.

And, yes, there can be significant differences in differently priced regs. I'll let the more technically knowledgeable members of the board address that issue.

But, once again, your choice of equipment should be based on the diving you plan to do, not what your LDS sells.

rockrug:
I am looking to get my first set of gear. In talking to my LDS, pretty much all he carries is higher-end regulators and carries not much on the entry-level and mid-level end. When I asked him why, for example, he does not carry the Oceanic Alpha 8 or GT3, he said that he doesn't want to sell something that I'm going to 'out grow' in a short amount of time. He likened it to buying a car: I don't know the difference as a novice, but after driving for a while, I'll understand the difference between a Chevy and a Porsche. When it comes to regulators, will I really?
To those who have been diving for a while, what does it mean to 'out grow' a regulator? Is there a significant difference between a $300 reg and a $500 reg? Will I even care? I am conflicted between believing that the LDS has my best interests at heart, but also understanding that he's in business and (potentially/probably) wants me to buy more expensive gear than I really may need. Opinions?

If you can't (or don't want to) afford the porche, that chevy will get you into most if not all the same places. Often it is hard to tell the difference between a well tuned quality low end reg and its its expensive, high performance alternatives. But sometimes the difference is fairly apparent. Both will do the job for recreational diving.

And like a car, when you decide it is time for a change, do it. Unlike that car, a quality reg with good care may never wear out.

I'd say that there is no harm in buying an upscale regulator, if you can afford to do so. I have a Mares Axis and find that in cold water I simply don't get the throughput I need since I am breathing faster - resulting in "over breathing" of the regulator. Mares claims that it can supply a good amount of air, and it can, but if you have it tuned all the way up it tends to go out of tune quickly [so I detune it slightly].

A good reg and a nitrox computer will get you far.

rockrug:
To those who have been diving for a while, what does it mean to 'out grow' a regulator?

Typically it means either that your diving has progressed to the point where a lower-performance regulator simply doesn't deliver the gas as comfortably as you'd like, or that you've developed enough knowledge to understand the difference between a reg that performs the job adequately versus one that performs the job efficiently. To use your analogy, a new driver won't really appreciate the handling differences between a Porsche and a Chevy, but a more experienced driver will ... simply by virtue of having developed an experiential context around which to make the comparison.

rockrug:
Is there a significant difference between a $300 reg and a $500 reg? Will I even care?

There can be significant differences, even between comparably-priced regulators ... and as you progress to doing deeper and longer dives, you most likely will care.

rockrug:
I am conflicted between believing that the LDS has my best interests at heart, but also understanding that he's in business and (potentially/probably) wants me to buy more expensive gear than I really may need.

I suspect a bit of both.

rockrug:
Opinions?

Well, I can only relate my own experiences. My first reg was a TUSA RS130 ... an inexpensive reg that was rated in all the magazines as a pretty good performer for its price range. For a few hundred dives I was quite happy with this reg. But then I had a chance to try an Apeks reg ... and once I did I had to have it. The performance difference on a 60-minute dive to 100 feet was noticeable (much easier to breathe). I now own five Apeks regs (two DS4's for doubles, an ATX100 for singles, and a pair of DST's for future deco diving). I recently had the opportunity to try a ScubaPro S600 second-stage on my singles reg ... and to be honest, as my second stages wear out I'll be replacing them with ScubaPro regs ... they breathe nicer (and dryer) than my Apeks.

So yes, there is a difference ... as a new diver, you're not likely to notice or appreciate that difference. But as you gain experience and go on to doing more advanced dives, and develop a basis for comparison, you will.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

rockrug:
I am looking to get my first set of gear. In talking to my LDS, pretty much all he carries is higher-end regulators and carries not much on the entry-level and mid-level end. ....
Your LDS will sell you only what he carries. In some cases, if he sells one brand, he cannot sell a competing brand. He is also a business person and not all business people are honest, or smart. You need to look at more than one LDS, and do some research (here and on other web sites). IMO, the best online scuba store advice I've seen is from Larry at ScubaToys (www.scubatoys.com)

Rodales can also provide some information, on some brands
http://www.scubadiving.com/diving/regulators

rockrug:
To those who have been diving for a while, what does it mean to 'out grow' a regulator?
My first reg was a used Sherwood Brut. Inexpensive, very reliable, low performance. On my 10th dive I breathed from a buddy's more expensive reg at 60 feet and decided I needed a new reg. Most divers who take up the sport seriously will upgrade at lease some of thier equipment. If you buy a well rated, mid priced equipment, you shouldn't have a problem.

rockrug:
Is there a significant difference between a $300 reg and a $500 reg?
Sometimes. More expensive doesn't mean better. You also need to decide what kind of diving you will do (cold water, deep, etc). There are also some very good $300 regs, and some very bad $500 regs. :11:

rockrug:
I am conflicted between believing that the LDS has my best interests at heart, but also understanding that he's in business and (potentially/probably) wants me to buy more expensive gear than I really may need.
Always verify what your LDS tells you, at least until you've built up a level of trust. Many are good, but some are dishonest, or just plain stupid.

You should probably search in this forum for the 20 other threads that ask the same questions you just asked.

I don't know the difference as a novice, but after driving for a while, I'll understand the difference between a Chevy and a Porsche

Chevy is an everyday workhorse of a vehicle and a Porsche is a high performance sports car that requires constant tuning and high maintenance costs. hmmmm, Interesting analogy....

I am looking to get my first set of gear. In talking to my LDS, pretty much all he carries is higher-end regulators and carries not much on the entry-level and mid-level end.

I would be interested to know what the price and brand of the least expensive regulator that your LDS offers. I think you may find that this regulator is an entry-level regulator that he is selling at MSRP.

You may want to look at one of the online "Factory Authorized" dive shops ( www.Scuba.com /Scubaotoys.com). A high performance regulator doesn't have to be had at a high price. You can get a Genesis GS2000 (Sealed first stage/adjustable second stage) for around $200.00 ($425 MSRP) right now. Scuba Diving magazines have rated it as a great breathing, high performance reg and it is in my opinion the best value out there (yes I own one). Another great reg that my buddy has is a reg in the Aqualung Titan line. Stream lined and also great breathing. You should be able to pick one of these up for a good price also. There are other great deals out there, so do your research.

Many people will say "buy your gear right the first time. Rent a lot of gear and make your decision over time". I like having my own gear and wouldn’t be diving as much if I had to rent. For me I wanted to get out there and dive and dive a lot. Reality is that many of us don't have $3,000.00 to "do it right" the first time. Do you need the high end APEKS ATX 50/100 when you just get started? Probably not. Will it give ME (recreational diver 130 foot limit) any additional benefit besides the "Polo" brand name? NO , I have tried both an APEKS and my GS2000 reg at 100 feet and there was no noticeable difference in breathing performance. Now is there a difference at 150 feet? Maybe, I don’t go down that far.

In reality the most important thing is to get NEW GEAR from an LDS or Authorized Internet Dive shop. Then get out and dive. Your tastes for BC's and regs will inevitably change whether you "Do it right" the first time or you buy middle of the road. The BC that I would have purchased in the beginning (Zeagle Ranger) is not the type of gear I would buy now. Thank gosh that I didn't spend the money on it then. My computer that I really wanted (suunto D9) was way out of my price range. I purchased the Aeris Atmos to get me by until I wanted to fork over the cash for the Suunto (Still want one). Besides, it’s always good to have a back up computer.

Get safe new equipment from an authorized dealer and GET OUT AND DIVE! Good Luck!

I would stay away from the under $200 regs because they are usually marginal breathers ..... there are several good regulators in the $200 to $300 price range. if you have questons there are alot of posts about different regulators on this board ...... if you think you want to order thru the net call or email Larry at Scubatoys and he will give you an honest answer about any regulator you are concerding.

Back
Top Bottom