out of breath underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sgt Nitrox

Reaction score
Greetings all this is my first post to this board.....I wish it were on a positive note.
I am an Advanced rescue diver with cavern cert and logged my 70th dive last night in 18months. I use the oceanic Dx4 w/delta 3 including enviro kit. My problem is that I cannot seem to catch my breath underwater on my last 3 dives. THe first dive I noticed it on was ginnie Springs.....Swam a gainst the current so I chalked it up to over breathing the reg. Second Dive Blue Springs, After walking up stream we rested for a good 10 min before diving, at about 60 feet I couldnt get my breath and found the urge to take deeper breaths. At 82 ft I called the dive for my self because I felt like I could not get enough air, I made sure the adj knob on the Delta 3 was fully opened..... I went up to 20 feet and waited for my other 2 dive buddies to come up but I still felt the same at 20 ft. I chalked that one up to reg having 50 dives on it before annual service. I am thinking that maybe my IP was too low to meet the depth demands.... Dive last night Living Seas Epcot 25 ft deep using a new regulator I had the same problem my chest feels tight and I just dont feel like I am getting enough air and I fell like I have to take a deep breath every 3 breaths. Is there something medically wrong with me? Is this a mental thing? Last night I noticed that it felt like I had gas and a small pain on the left side of my body. More discomfort then pain. you know like when you eat taco bell on an empty stomach. I have taken that oceanic down to 137 and never have had a problem. This has mentally crippled my diving espically in the overhead enviroment.....As the more seasoned divers know once your mind does not think it is getting enough air it starts to think in a different way as cavers know in an overhead enviroment it will take everything to keep your mind from paninc, and its not something that can be solved by passing a long hose. Also I live in the central Fl area and I am looking for a Primary care Doc that has or treat Divers... Can you all please shed some light on this..Has this ever happened to anyone else. The Oceanic reg is in service right now....
Thanks
Sgt Nitrox,
Whats up NetDoc..... Thanks for the Hydros and Vis'

Your first step should be to get a physical, just so you can rule that part out. Tell the doc what's cooking & take it from there.

Next have your regs bench tested someplace that uses a flow meter. Having to suck any amount at all can produce symptoms like the ones you describe.

How's that wetsuit fit? having a too snug wetsuit / harness etc can make big time mischief.
Don't tell me you've just got a new drysuit & haven't trimmed the neck seal... :wink:

Keep us posted, eh?

Bob3 once bubbled...
you've just got a new drysuit & haven't trimmed the neck seal... :wink:

That just cuts off blood to brain, but you can still breathe okay :bonk:

Don't know how old you are or your general physical condition, but the dive at Epcot isn't exactly a highly stressful one. Adn since you stated that you used a "new reg" for that one, I doubt it is an equipment problem.

You mentioned that "Last night I noticed that it felt like I had gas and a small pain on the left side of my body." That is your body trying to warn you about something. Go to a doctor and get it checked out thoroughly.

Thanks for the input. I am thinking that the visit to the Dr. may not be a bad idea. I am diving with a semi dry that has about 30 dives in it. the tanks I use are my personally owned tanks that have been nitrox cleaned a year ago. Something tells me the Dive shop is going to tell me nothing was wrong with my reg.....
Does anyone know of a Dr in central Fl that treats divers. The Doc I have now barely speaks english...I doubt he knows what SCUBA is. If I dont get a DAN membership for Christmas I am buying it for myself, hence calling and asking them for a local DR.
Thanks again for all those who posted I will update anyone who cares to know the outcaome....
SGT NITROX

I am not familiar with the various Oceanic regs but this might be related.........

Oceanic USA Recalls CDX First Stage Regulators

Issued Dec. 3, 2002 (AP)

(12-03) 09:29 PST WASHINGTON (AP) -- A California company is recalling about 24,700 pieces of scuba diving equipment that could leak air, possibly causing divers to drown.

Oceanic USA, of San Leandro, has received six reports of air leaks, along with either noise or vibration, from their Oceanic CDX first stage regulators, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. No injuries have been reported.

CDX regulators included in the recall have serial numbers 9200001 through 9205622, 9800013 through 9801711, 0200001 through 0213294, 0D0001 through 0D3046, and 9D0001 through 9D3273. They were sold with second stage regulators: Alpha 7, Delta 3, Gamma 2 and Zeta.

Authorized dealers sold the equipment worldwide from May 1999 through October 2002.

The commission advises consumers to immediately stop using the equipment and take them to an authorized Oceanic dealer for a free repair. The company can be reached at +1-866-723-2642 weekdays from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST.

Sgt Nitrox once bubbled...
The tanks I use are my personally owned tanks that have been nitrox cleaned a year ago. Something tells me the Dive shop is going to tell me nothing was wrong with my reg.....
SGT NITROX

Step one is to make a tank light. The 12 volt bulbs used by "garden lights" sold at Home Depot fit through the neck of a tank quite well, provide sufficient light for a cursory look for gross problems, and the battery in your car or truck will fire it off nicely. Total cost with some speaker wire and solder to put it together will be about $3. If your tanks were O2 cleaned a year ago the inside should be nice and clean, but it's about time for another vip anyway. Yank the valves YOURSELF the next time you empty them and look inside. Also turn the tank over on a white peice of paper and rap it lightly with a hammer or wrench a few times. ANY dust coming out means you may have a clogged filter. Anything but clean metal, or steel with a tightly adhering flash rust and it's time to have the tanks reworked, by somebody other than who did it last time. It may also be time to find a new fill station.

To check for filter probelms you can simpy pull it and dive once without the filter installed (AFTER checking to be sure the tanks are clean of course.) If breathing is significantly easier the filter was clogged.

The MD route is a good thing to do. Not all dive shops have your best interests at heart, and many won't tell you when they screwed up on a reg service. The sintered filters can _look_ clean, but still be significantly clogged! While it is possible to partially clean the filter with a boiling Nitric acid bath, that route is not recommended unless a replacement simply cannot be obtained in time. The acid will remove any rust from a bad tank, but several filter media types are not completely removeable with the acid boil.

I have found that it's best to check my gear myself, then let a Tech I trust deal with it if I don't have time to do the repair myself. BTW I can count the techs I trust on the fingers of one hand, and still have a few fingers left over.

FT

OK let me make sure I understand what the inlet valve is....You all are talking about the little screen on the 1st stage and the valve behind it. I did just have my tanks VIP buy a PSI tech who also did the ultra violet inspection. Is there any way that I can Nirtox clean these tanks and valves myself? Is there a website that shows you? I have heard about the recall on the oceanic 1st stages but mine is the dx4. Good idea the check though. I hate to say it but I get air from about 3 dirrerent shops. I like the idea of fixing my own gear. Are there classes or books I can get to show me how? Thanks again for the ideas. Has anyone ever heard of the oceanic dx4 with the enviro kit on it freezing? The tech at the shop where I dropped it off said that might be a problem...The coldest water I have ever benn in is 70. I was just wandering.
Thanks for the help...I am glad I found this place...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom