out-of-shape divers doing things like diving the doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've read all the comments, and . . . I still think people are nuts not to be in shape for those kinds of dives. Yes, I know diving does not take tons of physical fitness. But come on! Your body is a key tool. You know, what with you living in it and all. Would you dive if your reg was not in good working order?

I know what common practice is, but I don't think anybody can give a reasonable excuse for being out of shape on these dives.

Someone I know that works at a university had a boss that ran like 4 miles every day for a few decades. Had a heart attack on a routine early morning run this Summer. Skinny as a twig - ate like a rabbit. Go figure.

I know what common practice is, but I don't think anybody can give a reasonable excuse for being out of shape on these dives.

Why do they need to give an excuse & what for?

A person of 'ideal body weight' and average 'fitness' might compare to an advanced athlete just as poorly as a fat guy does to the person of ideal body weight & average fitness.

By what right do you decide that the dividing line be applied between the latter pair, & not the former?

Richard.

There are many things that go into fitness besides just body habitus.... A diver needs to be fit to do the dive he is planning...and he needs to have the training, skills, mental readiness and equipment to do that dive. With out all of the components, the dive is doomed to be a disaster. That being said, you can't judge fitness from a picture.

Attachments

• Tubby.jpg
    Tubby.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 163
Humanbeing. How fit are you according to current medical standards? Who are you to judge? With only less than 100 dives you know it all? You might not be as fit as you think you are...

Someone I know that works at a university had a boss that ran like 4 miles every day for a few decades. Had a heart attack on a routine early morning run this Summer. Skinny as a twig - ate like a rabbit. Go figure.

Yeah, this is a common response. The old anecdotal red herring. The truth is, obesity, lack of exercise, poor diet, and unhealthy choices like smoking make you at much higher risk of a heart attack or other early killer.

I like to be in good physical condition, not so much for diving, but for life in general. It makes life more enjoyable to be able to do the things I want to do, like climb mountains, and wear the same size clothes I did in college, decades ago.

Diving is pretty physically easy, and that makes it accessible to a wide variety of physical types, ages, etc.

Interestingly enough, the cave instructor I'm planning on studying with has fitness as a requirement for his courses. I wonder what he uses to test that?

The truth is, obesity, lack of exercise, poor diet, and unhealthy choices like smoking make you at much higher risk of a heart attack or other early killer.

True. So, that said, concerning those people who remain 'out of shape' (by whatever standard) despite all this, how are they supposed to live their lives? With the 'kid's gloves' approach? Where is the line drawn as to acceptable risk? It's like those reports we read telling us things we hardly think about (e.g.: using the bathroom) are often statistically much more dangerous than things that scare us much more (e.g.: shark attack risk from swimming in the ocean). And until a commode bits someone in half, I guess it'll stay that way.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom