out-of-shape divers doing things like diving the doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smokers, drunks, druggies, fatties, ect. They all know its bad for them. Preaching to them isn't going to make a difference unless they want to change for themselves.
I know that when I order the cheesesteak with a side of fries and a beer to wash it down, that I'm better off ordering a salad. But I still do it. And that's my choice.

I work out, eat right and stay in shape so I can carry my own gear, handle long surface swims if necessary, and most importantly......... I want to be able to help my buddy out if he gets in a bad situation.

I work out, eat right and stay in shape so I can carry my own gear, handle long surface swims if necessary, and most importantly......... I want to be able to help my buddy out if he gets in a bad situation.

That's why I solo dive..no one to worry about but me. No one else can say anything about how I take care of myself because it does not effect them.

Or hours until death from hypothermia--the fat guy has an edge there too.

Human fat does not = marine mammal blubber.

It is my impression that human fat is neither positively bouyant (as stated earlier) nor an effective insulator.

All other things being equal, a fatter person has more surface area, and would lose heat at a higher rate than someone with less surface area. So being fat will make one more vulnerable to hypothermia, not less.

I'm open to being corrected if someone can post valid scientific info to the contrary.

It is my impression that human fat is neither positively bouyant...
This is certainly wrong. Human fat has a density of ~.9 grams /ml.

Any time someone complains about the appearance of someone, questioning their physical capabilities, I am reminded of the NFL scouting report on Larry Pfohl (former Miami Hurricane, who later acted as a pro wrestler under the moniker: Lex Luger).

Looks like Tarzan. Plays like Jane.

My tec diving instructor wasn't going to model for anyone other than weightwatchers. But he was a heckuva diver.

It is my impression that human fat is neither positively bouyant (as stated earlier) nor an effective insulator.
Here's the first hit in a google search for "hypothermia fat":

http://member.melbpc.org.au/~trinc/hypotherm.html

Factors affecting Survival Times

Body build - The fat layer beneath the skin acts as an important insulator against heat loss. Consequently a fat person will survive much longer than a thin person. Experienced swimmers also build up their fat layers and develop an adaptation to the cold which helps them to survive longer than a person of average build

Perhaps not authoritative, but where did you get your "impression"?

Second thought: If you want to look at a diver who had supreme athletic abilities, look at John Ormsby. He made it inside the Doria, but never made it back out. All the muscles in the world couldn't save him once he was tangled in cable.

Every time I see pictures of "hardcore" North Atlantic deep wreck divers, I notice that many of them are waaaaaaaaaay out of shape.

HOW DOES THIS WORK??

ARE YOU PEOPLE CRAZY??

Please, if you are a person who fits the above description, give me some insight.

Although I haven't read all the comments, quite a few excellent ones have been made.

I'd like to point-out that people dive recreationally to enjoy themselves. Unlike commercial diving, a diver doesn't have to pass a hyperbaric medical every year.

I don't believe that it's ethical to teach someone SCUBA if they have a medical condition that's not-condusive to diving. That said, I personally believe that if you're fat, out-of-shape and a health hazard, you should be able to elect to have a heart attack diving, rather than by rushing to change the TV channel. It's a free country and I like it that way.

Technology is making diving easier physically and mentally. When I first dove the Doria, we did it on air. Trimix and diving computers now makes the dive a completely different experience.

Once upon a time, diving symbolized high adventure and risk. With a few exceptions, its been reclassified as suitable for the Geriatric crowd. Welcome to the 21st Century. LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom