Outer Banks Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jscott099

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hate to do this but after you try a few times its time to let other divers know.

On July 21st my partner and I paid for a day of diving with Outer Banks Diving in Hatteras. They had to scrub the dives due to weather. They told us we would be refunded. After a couple of weeks, no refund to the credit cards. First an e-mail, then a phone call, and we were told it would be taken care of after looking at the books. Its now four weeks later and we still don't have our refunds. Sent another e-mail today and made a phone call.

We are now to the point of hard feelings and will not be diving with Outer Banks in the future.

I recommend you go by the shop and secure your refunds before you leave rather than trust it will be taken care of as promised over the phone.

In defense of John and Amy, this is there "high season" they run the operation personaly and are very busy. aren't we all. Please give them an opportunity to resolve before a bash on an open forum. Sometimes we all need a little grace.
Eric

I agree with Waterpirate. John (though not always the most personable guy) and Amy run a great op. Maybe you should explain your frustration, and the fact you are planning on reporting your experience on here (not that this board has huge amounts of sway) . Let us know how it turns out, please.
-J

Actually, this board *does* have quite a bit of juice.
I know I've taken dive op recommendations directly from Scubaboard, both good and bad... I'd be hard pressed to believe I'm the only one...

Howevuh... after multiple communications, e-mails, phone calls, and four weeks, I'd think Outer Banks could have found five minutes to reverse a charge, regardless of it being "high season."

BKP, this board only has sway with those who read it. And Hatteras has 2 boats, Johnny's and JT's. I agree, I have taken recommendations from this board, but like I said, I read it. Also, running a business myself, when dealing with tracing a payment through a CC company, it can be a nightmare. It might not be Amy's fault.
-J

OK, it took just over a minute to compose an e-mail, 45 seconds to leave a phone message, 2 minutes for a conversation. It took about 30 seconds to run my credit card.

Why is it now so hard to take a few seconds to at least respond at let me know what is going on? Or run a credit transaction?

Apparently, it is not important to them that they have kept $125 of my hard earned money interest free for a month (and my dive buddy who was with me as well).

So now I am trying to make it important (first by disputing the charge with the CC company). Next by not diving with them in the future. And second by warning other divers that things like this happen with this shop. I work in a dive shop too. I know how busy things get. But enough is enough. A month is enough. A simple response to an e-mail or phone call would have prevented so many hard feelings.

Well I hope this is all a misunderstanding that gets cleared up in the near future. I am planning on being down there for a family reunion on Oct. 13. My wife & I plan on diving that day & also hope to bring Andy (Drewski here) with us.
Johnny & Amys op seems to be the only one running at that time of the year. I have heard of another op Dive Hatteras, but Andy has had little luck in getting any response from them.
Unfortunately Nags Head is a little too far north to run up to Bills shop http://www.obxdive.com/.
I will follow this & see where it leads.

We are finally square. A rather urgently worded voice mail did the trick. Refunds are on the way and apologies accepted.

Good people, good dive ops, good customer service, and good business practices make a successful business and gets repeat customers. Lack of one of these makes a three legged stool.

JScott, glad to hear they did the right thing, it was starting to make me question my support. Like I said, we have had good luck with them. We once signed up for 3 days of diving, got blown out 2, but still recieved the discount.
-J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom