Wanted Outfitting a family - regs needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep6 is the current darling here on SB and while it is a fine product - their sales model is different than most in that they don't have a dealer network per se. for annual service.

Many people here service their own regs - their model is perfect for that as they even include a parts kit.

I personally don't so when they first came out, I inquired of shops in my area about service. Of the 4 I contacted - one had no problem - however they are also the SW region distributor, two said no and one offered to check with his insurance b4 committing.

I would think in Canada you would have similar issues.

I suggest you contact local shops and find out what they sell/work on and buy that.

Aqualung is a really good brand and a Mikron would be really good for smaller mouths - as long as you have a nearby dealer because of all the major brands - they're the most anal about controlling parts availability and requiring annual service or inspection to keep warranty intact - times 3 that could cost you once the kids discover girls/cars etc.

Leisurepro ships to Canada - so does Scubatoys - another large competing US retailer. Reg warranties can be funny though - warranties are not always transferable across borders.

The Canadian equivalent of Leisurepro is a large shop in Ontario - I believe it's called Dave's? LMK if you can't find their website and I'll look it up for you.

Also right now I think the exchange rate is going to kill you if you buy American. Even though most regs aren't made here - Deep6 is a Taiwan import and Scubapro mostly made in Italy still afaik.

Atomic Aquatics could be a consideration - they cost more up-front but have a 3 year/300 dive recommended service interval - over time that saves you money. .They're now owned by Huish Outdoors as is Bare and Liquivision - two Canadian companies.. Zeagle is another company owned by them - a local Zeagle dealer here can also get me Atimic Gear even though they're not a dealer. Might save you the taxes/duty if you can do something similar.

Last edited:
You can also get some great regs from dive gear express (DGX).
I’m in Ottawa and buy a lot of my stuff from there. Get a US postal box across the border if you are close.

Thanks Steve,

The exchange definitely sucks.....i just purchased a eagle brigade for what seemed to be a steal....then they get ya at the border....the nice part about living just outside of Toronto is we have a ton of shops around. I will defiantly check around before buying. Part of the problem is I have the patience of a squirrel on caffeine pills when I get excited.......one would think it' time to grow up.....but, naahhhhh

If you are near Toronto you can call Dan’s Dive ship in st-cath. They probably have used set to sell.

I have some used SP regs available but shipping three reg sets to Canada would be expensive, about $65 USD (plus possible duties).

Might be cheaper to buy local, depending on the prices of used regs in Canada.

... gear for a family of 4 isn't cheap. I' not looking for charity, just 3 affordable regs. Let me know what you have....thanks in advance.

I have two kids, now 14 and 19, who dive. Feel your pain. Also, I have ended up experimenting with twinsets and stage bottles and as a result have a substantial number of reg sets of various configurations.

The very cheapest thing you can do is purchase some old Calypso IV regulators on ebay and service them yourself using parts from vintagedoublehose.com. I would recommend new hoses and SPGs. There was a recall that involved adding a seat retainer to the first stage, and if that was missed, you should do it yourself, again, vintagedoublehose.com has the kits. You can get everything for around $300 a complete set by the time you get the hoses, SPG, mouthpieces, etc. Most of the ones for sale don't have octos, but if you shop you can find good enough deals on 1st+2nds to get enough 2nd stages for your needs. The Calypso IV is a simple flow-through piston design that is easy to service, but is somewhat more susceptible to freeflows in cold water and cumulative damage from use in abrasive (muddy) environments. They are yoke only. For the diving most people do, they're fine. I have two and dive them occasionally.

If that isn't to your taste, you could try for a Conshelf XIV/XXI, different 1st stage but the same 2nds, somewhat harder to work on but a diaphragm design that is less susceptible to freezing or damage from contaminated water. Long term parts availability picture is probably somewhat better. Or there are similar vintage Scubapro regulators, and someone who knows them better than I do will be along with model numbers.

Another inexpensive way to go is to look at Piranha Dive Manufacturing, for all your diving needs. -- a neighbor of the guy who runs vintagedoublehose.com -- and get some of the inexpensive regs he offers. Again the cheapest of these are piston designs but will work just fine for most purposes. Long term parts/service picture is unclear but at the prices he offers that may not matter. I've bought stuff from him and he stands behind his products and doesn't sell junk. Iit is unclear to me how much actual manufacturing he engages in, but that's beside the point.

Enjoy the journey, and don't be bambozzled into spending more money than you want.

If I were in your situation, without question, I'd go for Deep 6. Not only are regulators expensive for a family of four, so is the service. Buy the deep 6 regs, then take their service course and do your own service. The owner has been in the scuba business for a long time and also provides great customer service. They also have good prices on fins and other things.
Many divers are simply not interested in doing their own service, these recommendations grow old

Many divers are simply not interested in doing their own service, these recommendations grow old

The OP was asking specifically about saving money. My recommendation was aimed specifically at that. In addition, he suggested that he likes to tinker. In this case the recommendation for self service might have actually been well placed. Sorry I touched a nerve.

The OP was asking specifically about saving money. My recommendation was aimed specifically at that. In addition, he suggested that he likes to tinker. In this case the recommendation for self service might have actually been well placed. Sorry I touched a nerve.
No, perhaps my error, I did not appreciate the setting of the recommendation

I also outfit a family of 4 divers and I personally have several sets of regs for various combinations. Anyone in this type of situation should have a working knowledge of reg trouble shooting and basic tuning and upkeep.

If you really don't have the gumption for self service, you can at least learn how to diagnose issues to avoid unwarranted service cost.

I am a fan of reg brands who support training for end-users. But I do have my doubts as to how prepared an average diver will be just after one day, or half day training class. I have always been prone to tinkering, and like to know how things work. And I am constantly tweaking and checking up on things. ..I don't think this it typical for some who initially plan to self service.

So for the OP, Do plenty of research on which brand makes sense for your situation. I do think you get a big advantage by sticking with one consistent brand so you can benefit from scale and consistency.

Another consideration is Dive computers. It really helps if you can pick one model computer for all divers i your group to use. Spare batteries. Same Dive profile deco And non-deco consistency. Clarity around functionality and ability to quickly interpret screen readouts for buddy, or kids etc. FWIW, I went with Hollis DG02 for my kids. (Same as one of the VeoNx models). It's nice to have only one set of menu options to remember.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom