Wanted Outfitting a family - regs needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skink44

Registered
Reaction score
Fellas,

My family and I have decided that we are going to turn diving into a family activity. We recently went to Mexico on vacation and took the kids diving. The outcome is one of the best situations a guy could find himself in. A 10 and 13 year old that have fallen in love with the water (enough to save allowance and grass cutting money to buy their own bc's). That being said, gear for a family of 4 isn't cheap. I' not looking for charity, just 3 affordable regs. Let me know what you have....thanks in advance.

If I were in your situation, without question, I'd go for Deep 6. Not only are regulators expensive for a family of four, so is the service. Buy the deep 6 regs, then take their service course and do your own service. The owner has been in the scuba business for a long time and also provides great customer service. They also have good prices on fins and other things.

Oh yeah, the purchase price of the Deep 6 regulators is also about the cheapest around for a quality reg.

Thanks a ton guys. This is all part of the excitement. Everyone we have spoken with since we started down this path has been awsome. It' a great community. We are in Ontario (southern).

Exciting but been there. Depending upon how often you plan on diving with the kids you may want to hold off on purchasing. If only taking one or two trips a year you may be better off renting. Three extra sets with service every year or every other year, may be far less expensive to rent if only doing a trip or two a year. Of course if you will be using them much more often then enjoy the excitement and purchase wisely.

If I were in your situation, without question, I'd go for Deep 6. Not only are regulators expensive for a family of four, so is the service. Buy the deep 6 regs, then take their service course and do your own service. The owner has been in the scuba business for a long time and also provides great customer service. They also have good prices on fins and other things.

^^^ This!!
I am a tinkerer and have messed with regulators in other fields before. So, I bought my stuff used and then rebuilt them all. I love diving "my" stuff. But being a newbie, I bought a bit too far into the marketing line that "it is your life support system. If we don't help you, you're gonna die." I convinced myself I didn't want to supply my family with regs I had built. So I watched online stores and bought sale regs of all the same model. With a bit over a year into the game, I really wish that I had gone the Deep 6 route. I don't know that the class is required but I would have taken it anyway. I love the concept of a vendor that doesn't start the conversation assuming all of its customers are idiots.

I' a tinkerer as well. I'm looking at the used market as we plan to dive every weekend locally. The deep 6 product looks great and may end up being the road travelled. Right now I have a 13 year old drafting a business plan around cleaning pools once he get his gear lol......with the whole family involved, my dive time goes way up.

I' a tinkerer as well. I'm looking at the used market as we plan to dive every weekend locally. The deep 6 product looks great and may end up being the road travelled. Right now I have a 13 year old drafting a business plan around cleaning pools once he get his gear lol......with the whole family involved, my dive time goes way up.
That said watch ebay for used Aqualung Mikrons. They are agreat little regulators that, while not offically endorsed by AL, are actually quite easy to diy and kits are available from VDH.

Store | Vintage Double Hose

Last year’s models are even available new at a great price.

Aqualung Mikron

Hit up @guruboy he posts reg for sale frequently at good prices.

And check out Leisure Pro! Always great sales.

Back
Top Bottom