Over moderating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will agree that it was not in line with normal moderation. Regardless, everyone was warned and as at October 18th, things were good in the thread. Then by no fault of his own, another member reading from more than a month ago responded with a post that stirred up old info. We shouldn't have to keep remoderating for the same issue month after month, year after year. The mod post from Oct 18, tells the story.

From there, you should be able to ascertain what happened even if you can't see the posts that were deleted.

And no warning? With respect, how many warnings should posters need?

And this thread, who is moderating it?

And this thread, who is moderating it?

I am unfortunately because there's no other moderator here.

I'm willing to take my lumps for that but not at the expense of criticism of another member.

It means they did not agree with what you wrote or quoted nothing to stress about.

In this instance it means, inappropriate post, from the perspective that there was either blatant or subtle criticism of a member who has nothing to do with this issue.

The major TOS on Scubaboard, is First, be nice.

I am unfortunately because there's no other moderator here.

I'm willing to take my lumps for that but not at the expense of criticism of another member.
You can’t moderate a thread about your moderating, total BS. You need to have someone else do it. Let the posts be until someone else can get to them. I’m in no way saying your wrong or that the posts should stay but YOU can’t judge your own trial so to say. You loose all credibility as a moderator by doing so

I will try and call some other moderators because, indeed, I shouldn't be moderating this thread and have only done so with regard to that which I've mentioned 3 times now in this thread.

Reactions: OTF
You can’t moderate a thread about your moderating, total BS. You need to have someone else do it. Let the posts be until someone else can get to them. I’m in no way saying your wrong or that the posts should stay but YOU can’t judge your own trial so to say. You loose all credibility as a moderator by doing so

I'm only moderating it with regard to the one issue. In every other regard, I'm fair game.

But spank me all you want, I'm not letting anyone criticize anyone but me in this thread.

Nor will any other mod that shows up.

I will try and call some other moderators because, indeed, I shouldn't be moderating this thread and have only done so with regard to that which I've mentioned 3 times now in this thread.
The discussion of if any poster is getting special treatment in threads is relevant and valid discussion. I fully support no personal attacks and if a moderator other than you thinks editing of posts is necessary for that end so be it but in the one post I saw that was deleted I don’t know that line was crossed, it was close but not over in my opinion.

Please keep the discussion civil and respect others opinions. You don't have to agree with other poster opinions but attacks and disrespecting other members will not be tolerated. If in doubt, read the Terms of Service.

Stay Healthy and Safe in this pandemic.

I have to be honest, I am Italian-born (left the country decades ago) and when I saw a particular member being very derogative about being Italian with one of the nicest (Italian) people on here I was genuinely upset. There was no moderation in that case, but I don't particularly care because there is always the 'ignore' function, which I liberally use for all the rude people. I think if we all did that, moderators would have much less work, and some posters would be a much smaller inconvenience. Sometimes we are guilty of enjoying a fight, when in reality we should just let go.

Back
Top Bottom