Over the head donning of BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it originated from the days before BC's and continued when the BC's were the horse collar types, in either case you were only dealing with a backpack and a tank - not so anymore....now even dealing with integrated weights and other assorted "add-ons" -knives, shear, lights... What few times I've done a beach dive , I gear-up off my truck tailgate or my partner assisted me and vice versa - if your'e in too much of a hurry to assist and check each other out, slow down - if your partner's busy..... patience. I'm one of those guys who has limited (if any) contact with my partner after we go down, so I def want him to eyeball my set-up and make sure things look pretty squared away.

First to Dr. Bill, I think if memory serves you will find the method detailed in the New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving and the Basic Scuba texts.

To NoVizwhiz, uh, there is no law that requires you to use all of that stuff, minimalist diving is not just a phrase. A Hog rigged backplate and single tank with a simple harness is easy to don with the overhead method. Weight integration is a dead end anyways, get a weight belt, simple, effective, flexible and modular.

N

You could seriously crack your head open by donning your tank over your head.

Ahhhh, now we know what happened. :depressed:

Personally I prefer over the head. Being semi-antisocial, I hate asking people for help. My method is to hold the tank, over the head, lower down until I reach up and grab the valve and then gently lower onto my back. The tank is under control the whole time. Since I'm already sitting on the gunnel, I'm pretty mush good to go.

Watched the 16 year old mate of a dive boat try to show off one day. The boat was underway, he was sitting on the transom, and he literally tossed the tank over his head. The guy sitting next to him caught him; but the tank, BC, regulator was gone. Turned out the gear belonged to the captain. The kid disappeared after that day; Captain claimed the kid just took off. I'm not so sure.

That's another situation entirely. It's been a long time since I made a repel entry.
I made one yesterday, but I had my rig lowered down on a line after me and I put it on over my head (in the water).

Not saying I wear all that crap - would NEVER own or wear integrated weights (I wear a weight belt)- would also not throw a 40 lb (+) of anything over my head and onto my back...tried it a few times - not what works for me, watched others do it and saw many near disasters and a few real disasters...the equipment I'm geared out with works for me and type of diving I do, honed from 30 years of experience. Being a minimalist is fine if that's what works for you. Have seen divers with everything in the store hanging on their gear and then macho the tank over their head...for no reason other than for the benefit of those watching....

This thread has surprising traction...

Blister

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom