Over the head donning of BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yep, that giant step off the boat is another "interesting" entry technique... watched a guy do a GS off a boat gunnel one day, slipped and did the fwd roll, giant step, backward roll and a few other moves I'd never seen before...and he almost missed the water...kinda flopped around on the gunnel for few seconds then finally rolled off into the water.

As for a simple Alum 80, or some other light-weight tank? I prefer the over the head method. After being trained to don my SCBA pack this way in the fire service,

They haven't taught this in the fire service in 20 years - too many people getting knocked in the head. The preferred donning method was to swing it around your body. Then a short time later all the BA's were mounted on quick release brackets in the jump seats and not stored in the compartments anymore so this skill was not necessary anymore.

Steve

yep, that giant step off the boat is another "interesting" entry technique... watched a guy do a GS off a boat gunnel one day, slipped and did the fwd roll, giant step, backward roll and a few other moves I'd never seen before...and he almost missed the water...kinda flopped around on the gunnel for few seconds then finally rolled off into the water.

That sounds worthy of a '10', Olympic standards.

Firefighters mainly use carbon composite tanks that weigh next to nothing. Wimps!

Wimps?!?!

SCBA - 37 lbs
Helmet - 3.5 lbs
Coat and Pants - 18 lbs
Boots 4 lbs
Axe - 12 lbs
Halligan bar - 8 lbs
pocket full of hand tools - 4 lbs

The look on the face of the mother who's child you just pulled out of the jaws of death...PRICELESS

Steve

Wimps?!?!

SCBA - 37 lbs
Helmet - 3.5 lbs
Coat and Pants - 18 lbs
Boots 4 lbs
Axe - 12 lbs
Halligan bar - 8 lbs

The look on the face of the mother who's child you just pulled out of the jaws of death...PRICELESS

Steve

Don't forget the n00b carrying 50' of coiled water line on his shoulder up 10 flights of stairs ON TOP of what you just said.

Blister

Wimps?!?!

SCBA - 37 lbs
Helmet - 3.5 lbs
Coat and Pants - 18 lbs
Boots 4 lbs
Axe - 12 lbs
Halligan bar - 8 lbs

Steve

Priceless, indeed.

I am not sure what firemen have to do with scuba tank donning methods?

This thread has surprising traction just like the MOF threads and the entry threads because those who cannot then figure X method must be wrong and those who can figure those who cannot are just trying to enforce their inabilities on those who can.

N

Someone call for MOF?

Evening Mr.F

Back
Top Bottom