Overall negative experience at LDS - Tackle Shack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfoster33702

Contributor
Reaction score
This is an interesting story that boils down to LDS vs. Internet sales...It's going to be a little long, sorry about that.

A few weeks back, I was shopping for my very first BC. I had decided that I would spend a little more money at an LDS, rather than buy it online - mainly because I wanted to try it on first. After visiting a local shop (Tackle Shack) once - on the second visit I purchased an XL Knighthawk...I say XL, because after trying it on, the salesman helping me suggested that was the correct size. He did understand that I was just finishing up with my OW cert and was completely new. This was last years model with the older style Air2, so they discounted it $100 off retail. Even with that discount, I was still paying $100 more than I could find it online - which I was fine with - being that I did take their time and advise. After getting it home, I tried it on again and the more I looked at it and adjusted the straps, the more I suspected it was too large. I brought it back 2 days later and a different salesman had me try on a large - instantly insisting that the XL was too big and that he would exchange it for the large. At this point, my LDS experience was great - what more could I ask for other than someone who was willing to help and wanted to get me in the right gear.

Yesterday, my wife and I go back to the same shop looking for a BC for her. They now only have a few sizes that offer the $100 discount (still $100 more than online). While she is trying them on, the same salesman who swapped my XL for my L came out. My wife was commenting on how the medium felt more comfortable than the small - that's when he starts (rudely) saying that he's not going to exchange this one, and telling the other salesman to make sure that they put 'no exchange, no return" on my receipt if I buy it... at this point I'm starting to feel like a fricken criminal for having received what I thought was good service...

At some point during all of this, the salesman is talking about how the internet is killing the LDS and how there wouldn't be anymore LDS remaining if people like me continued to purchase Zeagle and brands that allow internet sales (I had told him that I purchased zeagle regs). I explained that I could see both sides of the internet thing, being that I buy a lot online and I also develop e-commerce websites...but I didn't get into a debate with him, as there are heavy opinions about this on both sides.

So, we decide to get her a small knighthawk, as it seemed to fit better than the ladyhawks that she tried on. The service had not been hideous, just a little unpleasant - and I still wanted to buy from my LDS (and get a fair price). As the salesman put her new BC back into the box for us to take, he makes a comment on how hard it is to get them back into the boxes and that the little mexicans at the plant can get them in a lot better...this...after handing a credit card back to my wife with the last name "Ramirez" on it. We really didn't know what to say, so we just took our BC and walked out.

IMO - If an LDS is going to complain about internet sales hurting them - they need to step it up a notch in the only place they can beat the internet, personal customer service. You should have a positive feeling after making a significant purchase at a retailer. Tackle Shack left a crappy taste in my mouth and I now regret ever doing business there. Prior to this, I was willing to spend more $ locally to support local commerce. Thanks to the internet, there are a lot of good shops available to me now and I plan to use them, exclusively, for my future scuba purchases.

This, my friends, has been a lesson on how to lose a customer. I'm young and have a lot of diving years ahead of me...years to tell people about the shops I like and the ones that I avoid.

Jeff

Jeff, I've been in shops like that. I really don't understand how they stay in business. Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience.

Your experieince mirrors that of many others. Which is EXACTLY why internet dive shops are thriving. And remember, most of those internet dive shops are LDS's to someone else. They just happen to be good ones.

Lay my head on desk and cry....

PerroneFord:
Your experieince mirrors that of many others. Which is EXACTLY why internet dive shops are thriving. And remember, most of those internet dive shops are LDS's to someone else. They just happen to be good ones.

Yes, and that makes my decision that much easier.

In the past, local shops didn't really have much competition. If they continue on with the "I'm the only shop on the block" bad attitudes, the internet will win. Funny how they prophesize their own demise by complaining about online sales - then play the perfect part in causing it.

Jeff

jfoster33702:
now only have a few sizes that offer the $100 discount (still $100 more than online). While she is trying them on, the same salesman who swapped my XL for my L came out. My wife was commenting on how the medium felt more comfortable than the small - that's when he starts (rudely) saying that he's not going to exchange this one, and telling the other salesman to make sure that

There's no point in patronizing an LDS just because they're local. Only do it if you like them and they're good.

The nice part is that you only got hosed out of $200 and don't gave to go back again (I wouldn't).

Terry

I just don't understand how LDS's don't get it that excellent customer service is their ace in the hole in this industry. Really sad, sorry you were treated this way.

When I was looking for my BC, I had to go to the LDS that is closest to my house, even though they aren't my preferred shop since they are Zeagle dealers. I wanted a Zeagle Zena and thought I'd give them first shot at my business before ordering on-line. Well, not only did I know more about the Zena (and Zeagle products in general), but the LDS wanted over $300 more than ScubaToys. That was nearly 50% more than Larry's price! I walked out empty handed, but with a sour taste in my mouth knowing that the sales person hadn't a clue about her own product line.

I really shouldn't have been surprised since the year before when my husband bought regs from them, they continually steered him away from Zeagle products (didn't even carry one reg....pathetic for an authorized dealer), and when they realized they had to order his Legend, they immediately tried to get him to buy an Apex reg they had in stock. (I bought my regs and computer from Larry at ScubaToys).

Not only did ScubaToys send me a Zena, but when I realized it was too big, it was as easy as phone call to have them ship me a smaller size....with a return postage label in the box to send the one I didn't want back! This wasn't my first big purchase from ScubaToys and it definitely hasn't been my last...I have a few more items I'm planning to order later this year. :wink:

I agree with the scubatoys comments. I recently spent about $1000 with them, and will likely spend a lot more. Here is a PM that I sent to Doug Krause (marketing Aeris/Oceanic) about the way Scubatoys took great care of me.

"Noticed that you were a manufacturer and wanted to drop you a note.

I bought a Atmos Elite from Scubatoys a couple of weeks ago. I tried it out int he neighbors pool a couple days after I received it and it had some issues disconnecting..constantly. In fact, in about 15 minutes, it was probably only connected for 5. Scubatoys not only sent me another one, no hassles, but they sent it the same day that I called about it. They even included a call tag for the original unit (which I had already sent back ). Their service/support of your products has me considering another one for my wife - and preaching it to my diving neighbor. Scubatoys does you guys justice, IMO. Now I just have to put my pride in my pocket and buy that PC data cable (ouch!)

Take care
Jeff"

Interesting..

We have a shop (Tackle Shack) that bad mouths internet sales, yet of course they have a website for internet advertising (http://www.tackleshack.com/). It doesn't accomadate "point and click" purchase, however, on their contacts page they have this quote "We are NEVER undersold and we ship daily !!!.

So it seems that if you call them and try to buy something that they are more than willing to ship it to you. Internet sales is the same as any other catalog or mail order sale. Seems like they have a possible double standard at this shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom